Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The first Japanese prisoner of war captured by the Americans was Kazuo Sakamaki, an ensign in the Imperial Japanese Navy. He was captured on the morning of December 7, 1941. Sakamaki had set an explosive charge to destroy his disabled submarine, which had been trapped on Waimanalo Beach. When the explosives failed to go off, he swam to the bottom of the submarine to investigate the cause of the failure and became unconscious due to a lack of oxygen. Sakamaki was found by a Hawaiian soldier, David Akui, and was taken into military custody. When he awoke, he found himself in a hospital under American armed guard. After the war he returned to Japan and found work with the Toyota Motor Corporation before retiring in 1987. Sakamaki died on November 29, 1999, aged 81.
For Those in Peril
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Pedro
Posted 2018-05-01 7:39 AM (#89237)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: For Those in Peril

After all these years, an important reminder lest we forget.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-43948079

Pedro
Ric
Posted 2018-05-01 1:12 PM (#89240 - in reply to #89237)

Plankowner

Subject: RE: For Those in Peril

Thank you Pedro. I have never heard of this before.
Pedro
Posted 2018-05-01 3:52 PM (#89241 - in reply to #89240)

COMSUBBBS

Ric,

There was a half hour show on BBC TV this evening about these two incidents. Islay is holding a 100 year remembrance service on May 5th to honour those lost at sea and the many survivors. It is now on BBC i-player but unfortunately it cannot be viewed outside the UK because of copy write issues. I did however find this short film about the island and the people. The great-grand children of US servicemen that were lost will be attending this event. Many were from the Augusta area of Georgia according to the meticulous copper plate written burial records kept by the local Police Sergeant at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5VWZWmVijw

Pedro
Thomas Courtien
Posted 2018-05-02 7:59 PM (#89245 - in reply to #89237)
Master and Commander

Wow; good story - nice history lesson.

My daughter-in-law had a Great Grand Uncle who was lost at sea off the coast of Ireland in December 1917. He was in the US Navy Armed Guard aboard a cargo ship which was torpedoed. His name, James Crowley, is on a plaque somewhere in Great Britain.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software