Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Alexander the Great (356 to 323 B.C.) ruler of Macedonia and conqueror of the known world in his time, is the first person known to have descended into the sea in a vessel of any kind.
Question for ex-nukes
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Don Gentry
Posted 2018-10-29 3:06 PM (#90494)

Admin

Subject: Question for ex-nukes

When I went thru nuke school it was said that the six months of 8-hr days in the classroom was the equivalent of an Associates degree in Mech (or Elec if you were on that path) Eng'g - BUT - that since most of the curriculum was applied to classified components of a Naval nuclear power plant, the curriculum was not releasable to academia for accreditation purposes.

I think it was about 10 years after I got out I heard that things had changed and that nukes of that time period we able to get credit for some/all of the course work.   Does that ring true with anybody?
Ric
Posted 2018-10-29 3:25 PM (#90496 - in reply to #90494)

Plankowner

Subject: RE: Question for ex-nukes

Interesting question.
I have never thought about any military school being able to have any accreditation with the civilian world.
Navy has always been reputed to have the best school for practical learning and knowledge.
Be interesting to learn if that is true also.
Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2018-10-29 4:24 PM (#90498 - in reply to #90494)
Master and Commander

I seem to recall engineering credits being given for being a Nuke EWS for training and practical experience. Believe it involved interviews and tests. I recall challenging some college courses in the hopes of avoiding them. Then I found out I didn't have to take that course but needed to take a more advanced course to get the necessary credit points to graduation. Sort of screwed myself as I could have skated on those math courses and engineering basics. Instead I got to work my way through the more advanced stuff while working my way thru college. 
Thomas Courtien
Posted 2018-10-29 6:44 PM (#90500 - in reply to #90494)
Master and Commander

My A and C Schools, plus my other training served me well in college. When I was working on my Bachelors in Business at Western Connecticut State University they took my DD214 and evaluated the A & C schools to give me 14 credits in Science and Math. Also, my service excused me from having to take PE; they just gave me the 4 credits for 8 semesters of PE.

I had also gone to a four week Instructor School during one in port in New London. This allowed me to do some part-time college teaching after I earned my Masters in Business. Eventually, I spent enough time in the classroom that I became a permanent part-timer.

And the GI Bill covered all this college.
Holland Club
Posted 2018-10-29 6:53 PM (#90501 - in reply to #90494)

Master and Commander

Good question. In the good old civilian Nuke business, I attended Westinghouse sites of Waltz Mills, Monroeville, and Saxton for about a year. Followed by 2 years of on site school with Westinghouse instructors as well as our own before I could even sit for a Senior Reactor Operator's license. it wasn't even mentioned whether any of this might result in credits. We had to have our complement of licensed people before we could even load fuel so the heat was on.
Tom McNulty
Posted 2018-10-30 7:08 AM (#90504 - in reply to #90500)

Master and Commander

I didn't get squat from my MT schools related to college credits. I received my BSEE after a few wrinkles. Navy schools and college had different ideas about current flow. After a rough start I finally figured it all out. I was excused from PE due to veterans status and used the hours to add more courses. I did take PE one Summer session just for giggles since it was a chance to get pool time between some classes. Summer in Beaumont Texas is when the temperatures and humidity are the same.
Dantini
Posted 2018-10-30 7:44 AM (#90505 - in reply to #90494)

Senior Crew

Check out this link:  https://www.military.com/education/timesaving-programs/college-credit-for-military-experience.html  We had a set of these books at the Retired Activities Office where I was a volunteer.  Covered most of the military schools.  But it is up to each college to determine which school credits they will or will not accept.  Could save you some money by not having to take classes that you may already have had an equivalency.
Gil
Posted 2018-10-30 11:56 AM (#90508 - in reply to #90494)
Master and Commander

AA Degrees here in SoCal probably didn't come close to Nuc School, they were two years, and mostly involved with satisfying general requirements for transfer to a university.  I thought I was going to be an engineer at junior college, and wound up a history major after calculus, and analytical geometry wrecked me. In the 60's University of California BS degrees for engineering were general,  and only could be specific with advance degree.  I wanted to be a civil engineer, and spent my fist semester having to take dumbbell English.
GaryKC
Posted 2018-10-31 8:02 AM (#90509 - in reply to #90494)

COMSUBBBS

oh yes, those good old college days

(famibly.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments famibly.jpg (173KB - 636 downloads)
Runner485
Posted 2018-10-31 8:29 AM (#90510 - in reply to #90494)

COMSUBBBS

I didn't go to an A,B,C,D or nuke school. However, when I qualed on starting a FM I qualified for 2 credits per engine, 1 credit for the stills, and 1.5 credits for the HPAC's...
Believe that, I got a slightly used bridge to sell yuz!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software