Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The first periscope used by the United States Navy was not built for a submarine. The ironclad monitor OSAGE utilized a periscope to discover a Confederate cavalry unit taking cover behind the high banks of the Red River in Arkansas.
Interesting VISTA Comentary from users around the world
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Ric
Posted 2007-09-26 8:01 AM (#7829)

Plankowner

Subject: Interesting VISTA Comentary from users around the world

Do the Clicky here
Lee Davenport
Posted 2007-09-26 1:05 PM (#7844 - in reply to #7829)
Crew

Subject: RE: Interesting VISTA Comentary from users around the world

Vista costs $200 at the local Air Force base exchange. I too will stick with XP..
MAD DOG
Posted 2007-09-26 1:15 PM (#7846 - in reply to #7844)

Master and Commander

You guys are all operating over my head .I'm doing well to keep up with my windows '98.
Phils
Posted 2007-09-26 1:32 PM (#7847 - in reply to #7829)

Crew

I needed to replace one of our office computers last month. Normally I'd buy a Dell or one off the shelf if it's urgent. This time I chose to have a local company build us one, and most of the reason was that I could get it loaded with XP instead of Vista. MY thinking was simply that all the rest of the computers are XP and I didn't think ONE Vista in the mix would be a good thing.

Thanks, Ric, for showing me that my decision was really the best! Most times, hindsight doesn't favor me.

Phil
Flapper
Posted 2007-09-26 3:26 PM (#7851 - in reply to #7829)

Master and Commander

Subject: Scary stuff!

I run XP-SP2 with Norton AV and it is pretty slow at times. I think I'd end up throwing a Vista box through my (2nd story) home office window.
John Bay
Posted 2007-09-26 3:40 PM (#7852 - in reply to #7851)
Old Salt

Subject: RE: Scary stuff!

Get rid of Nortons and go AVG (Free) and you will be one hell of a lot faster and happier!
jamitch
Posted 2007-09-26 3:53 PM (#7854 - in reply to #7829)
Mess cooking

AVG works great on my computer and you sure can't beat the price!
Don Gentry
Posted 2007-09-26 5:16 PM (#7858 - in reply to #7852)

Admin

Subject: RE: Scary stuff!

Both McAfee and Norton of late seem to suck the life out of a machine. I run Avast (free for non-commercial use) and it seems to have a real light footprint. I've had zero problems and have been running it on all my machines for 2 yrs or so.

http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html
Doc Gardner
Posted 2007-09-26 6:00 PM (#7859 - in reply to #7847)

Master and Commander

Our office uses Vista on the desktops and XP on the laptops. I took a laptop since I travel a lot and my computer rarely has a problem. However, our Vista user are always bitching.
My two cents
Stoops
Posted 2007-09-26 6:16 PM (#7860 - in reply to #7829)
Master and Commander

Dell will let you order your pc with XP.

You can still buy OEM XP for about $130 (no support...but who needs that?) from Frys. Too many programs are not VISTA compliant....including Autocad.....and many other specialized commercial programs.

I had to replace a pc for a sign company and found their software would not run on VISTA....had to take the new PC back and beg for a decent PC with XP on it!

There is money to be made here by accomodating all the folks that MS has alienated by cramming an OS that isn't much better than the status quo down everyone's throat.

Vance Packard called it Planned Obsolescence and it stinks as much now as it did in the 60's when he wrote the book.

Can any of you Vista users tell me what advantages Vista offers over XP, other than looks?
It also looks like Vista requires more resources than XP, putting you in a position to have to add more ram, hd space, etc.

Ric
Posted 2007-09-26 6:48 PM (#7861 - in reply to #7858)

Plankowner

Subject: AVAST

I've been running AVAST for almost two years now with no problems. Love it.

Edited by Ric 2007-09-26 6:48 PM
PatH
Posted 2007-09-26 10:19 PM (#7862 - in reply to #7829)

Great Sage of the Sea

Well, I've been running Vista on my HP laptop for several months now, and I really like it now that I understand some of the subtle differences between XP and Vista. I especially like the tab feature, making it very easy to run in multiple boxes. I also run XP on my older PCs and will not upgrade them because it does take more resources. I think most of these referenced postings come from people with very little experience with Vista, or are trying to use it on a older machine that does not have the power and/or the memory necessary.
Ric
Posted 2007-09-27 8:17 AM (#7870 - in reply to #7862)

Plankowner

You could be very right about that. But a lot of these people are the techies that support the computer end of businesses. The guys who keep the system running and aren't fooled by "glitz" and "eye candy" and that is why that are asking what IS the real improvement? Most know what other OS's are and use them and how much more powerful many of those are than MS and it's products. That is why they are questioning.
People use what they are comfortable with but that may not be the best there is. I'm like that too.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software