Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The self-propelled torpedo, which gets its name from the eel TORPEDO ELECTRICUS, was invented by Robert Whitehead in 1868, a number of years before a practical submarine was developed.
Speaking of obits, ...
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

JrKrup, Skimmer
Posted 2007-10-07 10:41 AM (#8074)

Master and Commander

Subject: Speaking of obits, ...

In the local fishwrapper one of the recent obits was for a sailor in the WWII German Navy. He wasn't a bubblehead, but that got me to thinking about rendering - or not rendering - honors to him on this bbs.

If any of us do hear of - or read of, an "enemy" bubblehead passing on, do we submit the obit on these BBSs? What is the preferences and procecures?

As it happens this WWII German sailor was drafted onto a surface ship late in the war - Oct 1944 or thereabouts. I was just wondering if it would be appropriate.

Ric
Posted 2007-10-07 12:01 PM (#8076 - in reply to #8074)

Plankowner

Subject: RE: Speaking of obits, ...

Good question Jon.

Speaking only for myself, I have known or know submariners who were "on the other side". the first was Franz Schattauer. He served in German U=boats in WW II as a navigation officer. Franz cut his teeth at sea sailing square riggers and making sails on them. After the war he moved to the US and became a citizen. He became on of the finest sailmakers in the Pacific Northwest. He passed on a number of years ago and his sons, Frank and Axel, carry on the business. I hoisted a glass to him when I heard he had passed on.

If my friend Igor Kolosov, who is the resident docent on the Foxtrot in Long Beach passed I would do the same. Igor was a Captain Third Rank (LCdr) in the Soviet submarine service and was assigned to the Sub he now gives tours on. He is a fine man and I respect him.

A man who I have only exchanged emails with and sailed aboard the K-77, now sitting on the bottom of the Providence River, who has become a friend if he passed I would likewise do the same. He was just doing his job the same we did/do.

Just like when the Canadian submarine officer, Chris Saunders died from the fire on board the Canadian sub a few years ago. I joined many of you here to mourn his death and donate to the family.

A worthy adversary should be respected and worth remembering.

Now what can we say about Blue and POD and Buzz? We consider them as one of "us" and we'd not hesitate rendering honors yet they sailed in a different Navy just not on the "other side".

My 2 cents.

Ric

Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2007-10-07 9:47 PM (#8089 - in reply to #8074)

Great Sage of the Sea

JrKrup, Skimmer - 2007-10-07 8:41 AM

In the local fishwrapper one of the recent obits was for a sailor in the WWII German Navy. He wasn't a bubblehead, but that got me to thinking about rendering - or not rendering - honors to him on this bbs.

If any of us do hear of - or read of, an "enemy" bubblehead passing on, do we submit the obit on these BBSs? What is the preferences and procecures?

If memory serves, (sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't ), earlier this summer "Pig" Henry posted an obit for a former Poland Navy submariner, who became an American citizen after the war.

We join with members of other country's Submarine Services in the International Submariner's Association. We afford them the respect due to those who serve in Submarines, be they Allies or Adversaries. We mourned when the Kursk went down, we prayed for the crew of the Russian mini-sub that was rescued by the British and American divers and Super-Scorpio mini-sub a year or so ago. They wear Dolphins, just like us. It therefore seems fitting and appropriate that we Notice and Honor the passing of other Navies' Submariners on this BBS.

As to Surface warriors, I would say they had to be special, or done something submarine-related, or be a member of this on-line community, to be recognized here.

JrKrup, Skimmer
Posted 2007-10-08 9:28 AM (#8093 - in reply to #8074)

Master and Commander

I understand about rendering honors to Russian submariners, as we never got into a shooting war with the Soviets. I was specifically asking about sailors of navies of Nazi Germany, or Yamamoto's Japan. These two navies WERE adversaries during a shooting war, and did cause loss of American lives.

The question was answered in the above post, that a brother of the 'phin, is a brother of the 'phin, no matter on which end of the torpedo tube they stood.

Thanks.

Jon Krup, Skimmer - Minesweeps
Ralph Luther
Posted 2007-10-08 11:06 AM (#8094 - in reply to #8074)
COMSUBBBS

We are taught through most of our religions to forgive those who trespass against us. At times this is very difficult to do especially knowing that individual had been hunting for you and wanting to blow you away.
Time heals all wounds, so we're told.
I think it would be appropriate to recognize the passing of an enemy "bubblehead" because our faith in the teaches that.
Pig
Posted 2007-10-09 8:31 AM (#8098 - in reply to #8074)
Plankowner

I've always posted 'all' obits for submarine sailors. When the upper hatch closes it makes no difference to me. One of the 'Plankowners' from our Tang Base, USSVI was a RM on the U-81. He had lived in Florida since the war ended. He knew a bunch of neat sea stories and was always willing to share them. I look forward to spending eternity with him and hearing all that he never had time to tell before he left us.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software