Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: During their wartime operations submarines have engaged in some unusual maritime actions. One undersea craft slugged it out with the infantry and field artillery while other submarines destroyed a zeppelin, a bus, and a railroad train.
US Navy Problem Solving
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Thomas Courtien
Posted 2018-11-26 5:43 AM (#92731)
Master and Commander

Subject: US Navy Problem Solving

The collisions of 2017 demonstrate a need for more training - who would have guessed.

https://www.defensenews.com/training-sim/2018/11/26/us-navy-steps-up-training-standards-following-fatal-mccain-fitzgerald-collisions/

Holland Club
Posted 2018-11-26 9:26 AM (#92735 - in reply to #92731)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: US Navy Problem Solving

Gotta say I'm very disappointed in what the USN drifted into apparently. Disgusting to see the powers that be were so behind on simulator usage. Highly unlikely they didn't know what with all the simulators in use in NASA. USAF, civilian nuke power,etc.
At the facility where I worked, The simulator and the actual control room were identical. Every alteration to the main plant was duplicated on the simulator. On the simulator you actually responded to casualties not just recite emergency procedure steps. Good training!! Had to identify what was happening and take appropriate action since all casualties were programmed into the simulator computer. Use of procedures was OK and of course, you were graded on your and your team's performance.
rover177
Posted 2018-11-26 1:07 PM (#92743 - in reply to #92731)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: US Navy Problem Solving

Use your own eyes to see what is happening.
Submarine on the surface was a very good training ground - 360 vision and no electronic crap for tunnel vision.
OOW (OOD) report to the captain would give a clear picture of any vessel likely to come within two (captain's orders distance) miles of the submarine. Surface Officers who spent any time in a submarine often changed their own 'to call the captain rules' based on this reporting.
When I had my surface command before returning to the submarine, my orders reflected the report to the captain:
I have a ship (type) bearing red/green
Range is X thousand yards
I am X degrees on his port or starboard bow
The bearing is steady/drawing left/drawing right
He will pass X yards to port/starboard or "hit"
(I/he is the burdened vessel if manoeuvring is required)

This type of reporting was learned within days of joining for part III training. It did not fail.

In close quarters situations - Malacca Strait, Dover/Calais shipping lanes etc, one would expect the number one team to be closed up if heavy shipping ensued.

The Mark I eyeball is better than any radar, even in bad visibility.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software