Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "I believe it is the duty of every man to act as though the fate of the world depends on them. Surely no one man can do it all. But, one man CAN make a difference.” -- Adm. Hymen Rickover
PC idiots running amuk!
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Runner485
Posted 2007-10-21 7:34 AM (#8318)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: PC idiots running amuk!

This says it all about the a**holes.....

DENNIS TOWNSHIP, N.J. — A second-grader's drawing of a stick figure shooting a gun earned him a one-day school suspension.

Kyle Walker, 7, was suspended last week for violating Dennis Township Primary School's zero-tolerance policy on guns, the boy's mother, Shirley McDevitt, told The Press of Atlantic City.

Kyle gave the picture to another child on the school bus, and that child's parents complained about it to school officials, McDevitt said. Her son told her the drawing was of a water gun, she said.

A photocopy of the picture provided by McDevitt showed two stick figures with one pointing a crude-looking gun at the other, the newspaper said. What appeared to be the word "me" was written above the shooter, with another name scribbled above the other figure.

School officials declined to comment Friday. A message left at the superintendent's office Saturday was not returned.

Kyle drew other pictures, including a skateboarder, King Tut, a ghost, a tree and a Cyclops, the newspaper reported.
RCK
Posted 2007-10-21 8:23 AM (#8319 - in reply to #8318)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: PC idiots running amuk!

A violation of Freedom of Speech.
Stoops
Posted 2007-10-21 10:43 AM (#8325 - in reply to #8318)
Master and Commander

If he kid had just said it was a phallus, he'd have been ok.

MAD DOG
Posted 2007-10-21 6:49 PM (#8341 - in reply to #8318)

Master and Commander

Idiots indeed.they will go out of their way to try to hang this kid while their own kids are smoking crack and destroying property.
Corabelle
Posted 2007-10-21 9:30 PM (#8345 - in reply to #8341)

COMSUBBBS

Do you know those people, Paul?

Cora
whalen
Posted 2007-10-22 7:17 AM (#8350 - in reply to #8345)

Great Sage of the Sea

"X was diagnosed with, and treated for, a severe anxiety disorder beginning in middle school, and he continued receiving therapy and special education support until his junior year of high school. During X's last two years at ....., several incidences of his aberrant behavior, as well as plays and other writings submitted by him containing references to violence and profanity, caused concerns among teachers and classmates.[7] In the aftermath ......, Timothy Kaine, governor of the Commonwealth of Virginia, convened a panel consisting of various officials and experts to investigate and examine the response and handling of issues related to the ........ The panel released its final report in August 2007, devoting more than 30 pages to detailing X's troubled history. In the report, the panel criticized numerous failures — by school administrators, educators and mental health professionals who came into contact with X ..... who failed to notice his deteriorating condition and help him. "

Too bad the PC crowd didn't spot Seung-Hui Cho before he killed 32 and wounded 25 on the campus of Virginia Tech.  He wrote poetry and plays depicting violence and murder -- I'll bet he drew some pictures too. 

No one did anything in this case, and it was the fault of the schools.  So, don't do anything now -- let's just wait and see if little Kyle in New Jersey flys off the handle when he gets in high school, or college...

Edited by whalen 2007-10-22 7:18 AM

Corabelle
Posted 2007-10-22 9:02 AM (#8352 - in reply to #8350)

COMSUBBBS

Thank you, Bill.

Children with psychological problems often exhibit many instances of aberrant behavior, which are usually ignored by parents and teachers along the way. I'm certain that parents and other family members of Cho's victims wish that his symptoms had not been ignored throughout his life, and instead had been addressed more vigorously. Too late now.

Cora

Blue from West Oz
Posted 2007-10-22 2:50 PM (#8359 - in reply to #8350)

Master and Commander

Are you saying that Kyle in NJ IS going to fly off the handle because he drew these pictures?

Man, if that is the case, one day when I grow up, I might just kill a million people!

Didn't we all draw pictures of cops and robbers.....cowboys and indians......when we were kids?

I used to play with a toy machine gun when I was a kid......then I grew up to play with a real one when in the RAN.......maybe I drew that and it was only a matter of time before fantasy became reality.

Is that what your saying or have I missed the point? If that is correct, then I can't see how a young kid can be compared to a late teen...to 'young adult'.

Blue *_*
RCK
Posted 2007-10-22 4:45 PM (#8361 - in reply to #8318)
Master and Commander

What is interesting about these cases is that they always commit their crimes at places where they know that no one is around that is armed and capable of returning fire.
Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2007-10-22 10:26 PM (#8368 - in reply to #8361)

Great Sage of the Sea

RCK - 2007-10-22 2:45 PM

What is interesting about these cases is that they always commit their crimes at places where they know that no one is around that is armed and capable of returning fire.

The late Robert Heinlein (Cdr, USN ret) wrote more that a few stories about an armed populace, including several where openly carrying arms was MANDATORY for adult males (except convicted felons). An Armed Society is a Polite Society.

And in Starship Troopers, he proposed a society where only military veterans could vote or hold public office. Wouldn't THAT be interesting to try for awhile.

Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2007-10-22 10:32 PM (#8369 - in reply to #8318)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: PC idiots running amok!

Runner485 - 2007-10-21 5:34 AM

This says it all about the a**holes.....

DENNIS TOWNSHIP, N.J. — A second-grader's drawing of a stick figure shooting a gun earned him a one-day school suspension.

Those folks need to be recalibrated. A 2nd-grader! Zero-tolerance doesn't work until the kids are old enough to know better, and to understand the consequences of their actions.

As my father is wont to say, more and more often lately,
"There are always more horses' (posteriors) than horses."

Corabelle
Posted 2007-10-22 11:10 PM (#8372 - in reply to #8369)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: At what age are they old enough to know better?

I guess it would be when they can be reasoned with. Seven might be old enough. Sometimes 25 isn't.

What would you do. as a parent, if your child drew such a picture, with the shooter labeled "me," and the shootee labeled with another child's name?

Say, "Boys will be boys," and 18 years later, say, "Oops!"

I think maybe he knew he'd made a mistake when he said that the gun was only a
water gun.

True, more children draw such pictures that don't grow up to be mass murderers, but mass murderers do draw such pictures as children, and sometimes act them out, and often torture small animals. I think we should pay attention to acts such as this.

I thought maybe Paul was acquainted with the "idiots" when he said that their own children are smoking pot and destroying property.

Cora
RCK
Posted 2007-10-23 8:24 AM (#8380 - in reply to #8318)
Master and Commander

A child who draws something with a weapon is not an indication of a future mass murdered any more than a child drawing a witch or a black cat is an indication of that child practicing the "Black Arts". Repeated depictions by a child of such things would deserve psycological investigation. The one activity of a youth that is an indicator of disturbed behavior in the future is tortuing animals, not the isolated drawing of a weapon of some sort.
Runner485
Posted 2007-10-23 8:31 AM (#8382 - in reply to #8372)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: At what age are they old enough to know better?

So what your saying Cora is punish them all because he might be a potential mass murderer, who has yet to kill anyone or even has a desire to. Remember these are little kids for christ sakes. Typical politically correct response. Take away everyones rights "just in case". My quotes.

Hey maybe this kid you wanna punish HAD the potential to be another Charlie Brown cartoonist, but was suspended because he drew a picture of a gun..,...God help him if he played cowboys and indians. He would have spent jail time for sure with your logic and years on a shrinks couch in an attempt by society to cleanse his mind....
MAD DOG
Posted 2007-10-23 8:52 AM (#8383 - in reply to #8345)

Master and Commander

Corabelle - 2007-10-21 9:30 PM

Cora
You bet I do.I've dealt with them on many levels over the years,having raised 5 kids,served as PTA member Cub&Boy scout leader,little league coach,& grandpa.The people I'm talking about are those who are quick to use the PC"flavor of the month"to find fault with everyone elses kids while they ignore and excuse the misdoings of their own .Reminds me of a story about glass houses and rocks.
MAD DOG
Posted 2007-10-23 8:53 AM (#8384 - in reply to #8345)

Master and Commander

Corabelle - 2007-10-21 9:30 PM

Cora
You bet I do.I've dealt with them on many levels over the years,having raised 5 kids,served as PTA member ,Cub&Boy scout leader,little league coach,& grandpa.The people I'm talking about are those who are quick to use the PC"flavor of the month"to find fault with everyone elses kids while they ignore and excuse the misdoings of their own .Reminds me of a story about glass houses and rocks.

Edited by MAD DOG 2007-10-23 8:54 AM
Corabelle
Posted 2007-10-23 10:23 AM (#8388 - in reply to #8384)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Let me clarify my question -

What I meant to ask was, do you personally know the people (family) that felt the need to report this little boy? What's their names? On second thought, you don't need to supply the names, just tell me if you know this particular family. No generalizations.

I have a problem with people judging people without personally knowing them.

I have raised two children; been Cub Scout Leader; Girl Scout Leader; member of the PTA - same as you, but since I don't know the actual family that reported this child, I have no business lumping them into some category.

Has nothing to do with being PC, and I think you really understand that.

Cora

Cora
MAD DOG
Posted 2007-10-23 7:39 PM (#8414 - in reply to #8388)

Master and Commander

Subject: "has nothing to do with being PC"

Realy? I believe the attempt to be PC by those people(whose names I don't know,btw),is the root of this discussion.....PC,in my opinion(and you all know what opinions are like)is a highly contagious desease for which medical science will someday find a cure.That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!..................................btw while they are at it,maybe they could work on a cure for CRS. lol

Edited by MAD DOG 2007-10-23 7:44 PM
Corabelle
Posted 2007-10-23 8:45 PM (#8415 - in reply to #8414)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: I don't believe that anyone answered my first question.

What would you do if your little seven year old boy drew a picture of one "stick" character pointing a gun at another "stick" character, and the pointer was labeled "me," and the pointee was labeled with another child's name?
SOB490
Posted 2007-10-23 10:12 PM (#8416 - in reply to #8318)

Old Salt

Jaysus!! All this ruckus about a grade school kid drawing a picture of himself with a gun!

I'm glad that my childhood was so long ago that it was OK to have cap guns and run around "shooting" everyone in sight. I liked the 6-gun model myself because it was more realistic - that red strip of fired caps coming out of the top of the roll style gun made it look like a toy, whereas, the six-shooter with its round insert that rotated with the chamber when fired looked like a real gun!

We even shot at each other with BB guns and CO2 pellet guns! Now, a .22 would have been a bit over the line ... but we sure blew hell out of a bunch of crows and starlings with 22-longs! Also managed to bag a few rabbits and squirrels along the way. Even caught a load of rocksalt in my fanny one halloween trying to dump Henry Taber's outhouse.

I guess my generation sure is lucky we aren't kids today -- in fact, I know I'm glad of that!
JrKrup, Skimmer
Posted 2007-10-23 10:38 PM (#8418 - in reply to #8416)

Master and Commander

A 7 year old draws a crude picture of a gun. He's suspended because of a zero brain policy.
A 6 year old boy kisses a 6 year old girl on the playground and is arrested for sexual harassment because of a zero brain policy.

The next time a child does nothing more than be a child, we should convict them because of a zero brain policy, and burn them at the stake.

Off with their heads! Off with their heads!
Blue from West Oz
Posted 2007-10-24 4:34 AM (#8421 - in reply to #8415)

Master and Commander

Subject: Well ok, I shall answer it....

If Daniel ( my Son ) drew that and had his mate's name on the other figure, I would probably not even blink. At the very most I would ask him "why"?

Gee, even in ye olde England I used to have a toy gun and shoot my mates, and I probably killed and got killed numerous times too.

In fact I even recall we used to throw bricks at one another!!

When I went to Preston in 1980, after being away from the age of 10 ( early '73 ) I was recognised by a guy in a pub. He remembered me as being the 'kid who gave me a black eye before #%^&** off to Australia" we had a drink and a laugh.

Anyway, Daniel has drawn some evil pictures before.....I think the kid is a good boy, Ralph can probably back me up there having met him last year.

So watch out USA, Daniel the drawer of evil is coming your way in 78 days, 23 hours, 41 minutes and 58 seconds until Friday, 11 January 2008 at 5:15:00 AM (Chicago time)

Blue *_*
Ralph Luther
Posted 2007-10-24 7:53 PM (#8454 - in reply to #8318)
COMSUBBBS

Vic, I think you said a mouthful there. Where are the parents of these kids in question? I'll tell you where. They are out doing "their thing" and the kids are running lose. The day care centers are doing a lousey job raising our kids of today. Parents today do not have the skills required to raise kids. Both parents working,etc.,etc.,etc.

Daniel, Blue's Son, is definitely a chip off his Dad's block. Blue runs a tight ship at his home. He respects his kids and his kids respect him and anyone else that enters their home. BTDT Daniel is a kid though and he does things that a normal 11-12 year old does. Get's in trouble--you betcha, but ,Dad is there to jerk a knot in his arse if needed. Pamela, Blue's Daughter, is a real sweetheart and like Daniel, very respectful.
Kids need to be kids, but, taught right from wrong by their parents. It's a full time job. Yes, I know there are some nutty as hell parents out their and that is part of life and they should be delt with.
Okay, Blue, you can put the check in the mail tomorrow.
Corabelle
Posted 2007-10-24 8:23 PM (#8457 - in reply to #8454)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: What do I owe you, Ralph?

Now . . . about those Black Hills. They were named by American Indians. Notice I did not say "Native Americans." Because if only American Indians are Native Americans, what are you and I Ralph?

Native: Born in, or living in a particular area.

When did you say you were coming to visit me? I don't live nearly as far away as Australia.

Come for Christmas. I hope you won't be disappointed, though. There's usually no white stuff for Santa's sleigh and reindeer here in December. We usually have Christmas at my daughter and son-in-law's ranch. I think they may even have a horse for you to break.

Cora
Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2007-10-24 10:18 PM (#8462 - in reply to #8372)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: At what age are they old enough to know better?

Corabelle - 2007-10-22 9:10 PM

I guess it would be when they can be reasoned with. Seven might be old enough. Sometimes 25 isn't.

Cora

And that is exactly why "zero-tolerance", one-size-fits-all policies don't work.

You have to look at each child/person, and each situation, determine what the facts are, and take appropriate corrective action.

In another note you talk about not jumping to conclusions and judging someone you don't know, but that is exactly what zero-tolerance policies do. They presume malicious intent, and assess punishment with little regard for the facts and individuals involved. They allow school teachers and administrators little chance to apply their own judgement and experience, leaving all involved with a bad taste in their mouth, and most often, a child unjustly punished.

BTDT: While I have no children that I know of, I helped raise all 5 of my nieces and nephews. One in particular got a lot of hell from blue-nosed middle-school teachers because both her parents smoked heavily (still do), so her clothes (their whole house) smelled like cigarette smoke. She smelled of smoke, therefore she had been smoking, and must be punished because middle-school children are not allowed to smoke at school. Being punished for something she did not do, and a situation she had no real control over, taught her that she would be punished no matter what she did, so do what you want. We are still working to undo the damage that caused.

The example of the 6-year-old boy who kissed a 6-year-old girl on the playground and was suspended for "sexual harrassment" - what does a 6-year-old know about sexual harrassment? That's an adult concept being applied to a child. Ridiculous! Children are not "little adults", as some 60s and 70s "experts" wanted us to believe.

Children must be allowed to be children, and do childish things. When they do something wrong, correct them, punish them when necessary, but do not ascribe adult motivations or evil intent to childish actions without concrete proof.

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software