Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Fleet Admiral Halsey in a book called "The Admirals" when asked "What is the ultimate strategic weapon that is bringing the enemy to its knees? Halsey's reply "If I had to give credit to the instruments and machines that won us the war in the Pacific, I would rank them in this order: SUBMARINES, FIRST; RADAR, SECOND; PLANES, THIRD AND BULLDOZERS FOURTH."
Obit Messenger results for 10/21/07.
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Pig
Posted 2007-10-21 8:47 AM (#8321)
Plankowner

Subject: Obit Messenger results for 10/21/07.

KRING, Michael Irvin, 62, lost his battle with cancer on Thursday, October 4, 2007, at his home in Montgomery, TX. Michael was born in South Bend, IN, and spent much of his childhood in Ohio. A veteran of Vietnam, Michael enlisted in the U.S. Navy in 1962 and served with the U.S. Submarine Service until 1966. He was a recipient of the Vietnam Service Medal and the National Defense Service Medal. Michael returned to Elyria, OH, and lived briefly in Indiana before moving to the Tucson, AZ, area in 1973, where he resided for over 30 years. Michael was employed by the U.S. Customs Service for over 22 years, serving in Nogales, Sasabe and Tucson, AZ, as well as Houston, TX. He received many honors and awards during his service including the U.S. Customs Commisioner's Award. He was dedicated to his career and retired, regretfully, this past July due to his illness. Michael was an avid golfer and supported many benefit tournaments for law enforcement and cancer. Most dear to his heart was the annual Sunshine Kids Golf Tournament to raise money for children with cancer. He also enjoyed bowling, fishing, darts and hunting. He is survived by his wife, Maribeth Kring; mother, Marguerite (husband Ray) Sweet of Richmond, TX; brothers, Kent (wife Kathe) Kring of Richmond, TX, and Roy Tews of Lorain, OH; a sister, Lisa Tews of Mesa, AZ; his children from previous marriages: daughters, Michelle Kring and Donna Black, both of Elyria, OH, Lesley Kring of Greenwich, CT, and Shelley Kring of Rye, NY; sons, Jeff (wife Debbie) Kring of Tucson, AZ, Lance Kring of Brooklyn, NY; and stepdaughter, Laura Berendt of Montgomery, TX; as well as nine grandchildren. Michael was preceded in death by his father, Charles Kring, killed in World War II. Services will be held at Southern Nevada Veterans Memorial Cemetery, 1900 Buchanan Blvd. in Boulder City, NV, on November 5th, 2007, at 2:00 p.m. In lieu of flowers, please make donations in Michael's name to The Sunshine Kids Foundation at www.sunshinekids.org.

WIXOM, Barney Delwin, 83, of Kent, Wash., passed away on October 10, 2007, at the Washington Soldiers Home in Orting, Wash. He was born on January 27, 1924, in Columbus, N.D., the son of Robert J. and Alma (Reeter) Wixom. Barney had a long career in the Navy serving as a radioman and retired at the rank of lieutenant He was a crew member of the USS Nautilus (SSN-571) from 1958 to 1961 and served as Chief of the Boat. During World War II, he served on the Battleship North Carolina which participated in every major naval offensive in the Pacific and was struck by a Japanese torpedo in September 1942. He also served on the USS Quillback (SS-424) during and following the war and was Last Plank Owner and also served on the USS Piper (SS-409). Barney was a member of the Submarine Veterans of World War II and the American Legion. He enjoyed gardening and painting and had served as editor of the Charles A. Lockwood Jr. Chapter of Subvets newsletter, "Blow and Vent". Local survivors include his daughter, Barbara Ford and her husband, Jerry, of Waterford; a grandson, Anthony Ford of New London, and granddaughter, Sarah Ford of Waterford; stepson, Fred Davis and stepdaughter, Carol Davies, both of Waterford. He is also survived by his wife, Sylvia Wixom of Kent, Wash.; son, Robert Wixom; daughter, Lori Holmes; and many grandchildren. Funeral services were held in Kent, Wash., with internment at Tahoma National Cemetery. Donations in Barney's memory may be made to the Washington Soldiers Home, 1301 Orting-Kapowsin Hwy., Orting WA 98360.

nancy
Posted 2007-10-23 8:04 AM (#8376 - in reply to #8321)

Old Salt

Subject: RE: Obit Messenger results for 10/21/07.

Resting under the sunny yardarm of God's boat.
Maribeth
Posted 2008-09-28 8:56 AM (#20040 - in reply to #8321)

Did you know my husband personally? It's almost a year now and still miss him so much.
Gil Shaddock
Posted 2008-09-28 9:56 AM (#20042 - in reply to #8321)
Great Sage of the Sea

Why are you posting OBITS for 10/21/2007. Isn't it a little late?
Skii
Posted 2008-09-28 10:55 AM (#20043 - in reply to #8321)

Great Sage of the Sea

If you rad the last post dated 9/28 it is a lovely and lonely wife asking us on the BBS if we knew her
husband personally and maybe can give some comments about him.

I did not serve with him nor knew him but having lost a wife (as many of have lost loved ones) I know first hand how lonely it is daily and especially on the FIRST Anniversaary of his passing.

I would lik to extend to you Maribeth my comfort and prayers for your loss. Even if none of us knew your husband personally "We Are A Last Man Standing Organization" and Family - when you need us we are there and hope you can EEL OUR HUGS and know that your husband is steadfastly standing watch over us on his "Eternal Patrol" --

Dick Jarenski YN1(SS)
Commander/Secy
USS STERLET (SS392) Association
Thomas Courtien
Posted 2008-09-28 1:58 PM (#20047 - in reply to #8321)
Master and Commander

Maribeth I am sorry for your loss and that you miss your love. I cannot imagine what it would be like to miss someone so much. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Flapper
Posted 2008-09-28 3:26 PM (#20052 - in reply to #20040)

Master and Commander

Maribeth - 2008-09-28 9:56 AMDid you know my husband personally? It's almost a year now and still miss him so much.

Maribeth, although it's possible that some readers of the original post may have known your late husband it's probably the case that most of us did not. The originator of these 'Obit Messenger' posts has a search program that looks for reference to USN submarine service in published obituaries that are on the internet, anytime it finds such a case, it gets passed on to us.
In essence it's a method of informing us whenever a fellow submariner 'departs on final patrol' so that we can give that 'shipmate' a mental salute and thank him for his service.
I suspect that you may recently 'Googled' or searched the internet for your late husband's name recently, and just became aware of this service to our community.
And if you were married to him when he served in the Navy, you too deserve a special salute as a Navy wife!
Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2008-09-28 10:01 PM (#20061 - in reply to #8321)

Great Sage of the Sea

Maribeth, what boat(s) did Michael serve on? With that knowledge, we might be able to point you to the boat's Reunion Association, and maybe some Shipmates who served with him.

I didn't get to my first boat until 1975, but several of the boats I rode saw Vietnam service, as did many of the senior sailors I served with.

Donald L. Johnson
EM1(SS) USN retired
SSN-584, SSBN-622B, SSN-715, SSN-595, SSN-591
USSVI Wahoo Base P.O.C.
USSV WWII Fresno Chapter Comms
FRA Lemoore Br. 261 Chaplain

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)