Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "No one has done more to prevent conflict - no one has made a greater sacrifice for the cause for Peace - than you, America's proud missile submarine family. You stand tall among our heroes of the Cold War.” -- Gen. Colin Powell
??Brief trips from home ports
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

nancy
Posted 2007-10-23 8:28 AM (#8381)

Old Salt

Subject: ??Brief trips from home ports

Hi, been off-line for a while.

Looking for very brief explanation of what subs do when home ported, but still go out, say, for a two-week period.  

As always, thanks.

Nancy

Skii
Posted 2007-10-23 11:34 AM (#8391 - in reply to #8381)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: ??Brief trips from home ports

Routine operations, maybe some special tests with surface ships, VP Squadrons, training of new personnel, staying sharp and assuring all functions of sub operating correctly for future long range
deployment, and to keep the crew out of the bars and away from wild women

ski
Gil
Posted 2007-10-23 4:01 PM (#8401 - in reply to #8381)
Master and Commander

Routine activities for us on the Pickerel out of Pearl in '67 to '68 was out on Monday morning come back on Friday. During the week at sea we'd be part of ASW drills with surface ships and planes. Sometimes we'd have operations with nukes. About every six months pr longer we'd take riders out to Lahina and spend the weekend. They got their sub pay and we'd all hit Lahina at night. In the day more ASW tasks with surface ships/planes/and helicopters.

Coming back to Pearl on Friday afternoon was always fun. If we saw a nuke ahead of us we'd get in front of it to get back into the entrance to Pearl before they did. We could do 20 knots on the surface and 21 knots after our hull was scrapped. Nukes could only chug along on the surface.
nancy
Posted 2007-10-23 4:15 PM (#8403 - in reply to #8401)

Old Salt

Thanks, Dick and Gil. When I write in the sub cookbook about boats being submerged for many months at a time before returning to port, felt it important to add that the crew/boat are still working. This, whether in port or off shore.

Knew this from my May visit aboard MSP, but didn't get the details at that time.

Nancy

Flapper
Posted 2007-10-23 5:17 PM (#8407 - in reply to #8391)

Master and Commander

Subject: VP = anti submarine planes in Navy-speak

Just an explanatory note to Ski's reply, for those not familiar with USN designators. The Navy has it's own particular (peculiar, at times, in my opinion) letter designations.
Navy plane squadrons always start with 'V': VF for fighters, VA for attack, VP for patrol, etc.
As an aside, aircraft carriers use the 'V' in their designation: CV, CVA, CVN, CVAN, and so forth. The C stands for cruiser, so a CV is a cruiser that carries and operates aircraft.
I'm not sure about where or why 'V' is used conjunction with aircraft.
Roy Ator
Posted 2007-10-23 6:36 PM (#8411 - in reply to #8381)

Great Sage of the Sea

In response to your query and in the context that I've been retired from the USN for more than 34 years, our Navy Anti Submarine Warfare (ASW) types needed all of the operational training available. Our submarine wardroom personnel "O's" needed defensive tactics practice as well. Within schedule and operational funds constraints, every window of opportunity was utilized to the benefit of both sides of these teams with underway exercises! Practice Depth Charges (PDC's) were a common sound for us old Diesel Boat types...

There is no doubt in my mind that today's forces have the same needs. In that a fast attack boat is normally assigned to each of our current battle groups, I'd assume that they "play these games" as well.
whalen
Posted 2007-10-23 6:39 PM (#8412 - in reply to #8407)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: Carrier = colliers?

The USS Langley (CV-1) was commissioned in 1922. The Langley had originally been a collier --  the USS Jupiter (AC-3).

I suggest that the "C" in the carrier designation refers to "collier". 

Which sounds like collie, you know, like the dog. 

Which is why guys who serve on carriers are called "air dales".

Doc Gardner
Posted 2007-10-24 6:28 AM (#8426 - in reply to #8412)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Carrier = colliers?

whalen - 2007-10-23 7:39 PM

The USS Langley (CV-1) was commissioned in 1922. The Langley had originally been a collier --  the USS Jupiter (AC-3).

I suggest that the "C" in the carrier designation refers to "collier". 

Which sounds like collie, you know, like the dog. 

Which is why guys who serve on carriers are called "air dales".

Collier actually refers to coal and coal miners.

col·lier (käl'y?r)

noun

a coal miner
a ship for carrying coal
So maybe the early designations of C were for coal carrying vessels. As for the V my guess s that A was taken for other ships so the Navy in its infinite wisdom opted for the second letter of aViation and went with the V.
phew; all this erudition is making me sleepy. Back to Hogan's Alley for my nap; wake me when the movie starts and the popcorn is ready
whalen
Posted 2007-10-24 2:20 PM (#8437 - in reply to #8426)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: Carrier = colliers?

Doc Gardner - 2007-10-24 7:28 AM

Collier actually refers to coal and coal miners.

No sh*t?  Gee, thanks.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software