Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: John Philip Holland built several submarines before the USS Holland, which became the first undersea craft commissioned by the U.S. Navy. The Holland was purchased on April 11, 1900 for a price of $150,000. It was commissioned into the US Navy on October 12, 1900.
Southern Cal
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Runner485
Posted 2007-10-23 9:45 AM (#8385)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Southern Cal

Sure hope all our southern Cal shipmates and families are safe from the terrible fires raging out their.
Skii
Posted 2007-10-23 10:03 AM (#8386 - in reply to #8385)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: Southern Cal

Two Associations had there reunions there Sterlet 12-4 and Tunny 17-21 - thank god we all had our time of comradity together and left before the fires raged --would have been a brutal ending to a
happy event for all of those that attended.

We pray for all those San Diego Chaper USSVI and veterans as well as general population to be spared any major calamity.

It is not going well at present

Ski

miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2007-10-23 10:06 AM (#8387 - in reply to #8385)

COMSUBBBS

Spoke with Mike Brood just a little while ago...he's in Oceanside and they have their bags packed. His wife did not go into work this AM, as she works for Rockwell-Collins, which is east of them and I am assuming is near fire path. I did not want to keep
him on the phone, so the call was short. They are doing o.k. so far and I assume if they have to go, they will head up to
Pendleton. Please keep him and his family in your thoughts today.

Will keep our other "family" in my thoughts and prayers today, too. God bless them all.

dex armstrong
Posted 2007-10-23 10:36 AM (#8389 - in reply to #8385)

COMSUBBBS

My fiance has a grandson on the Benefield, some kind of guided missle hauling can. It's homeported out of San Diego and is in the yard for some work and unable to get underway. The crew has been packed up and taken to some Marine installation soon to be closed under BRAC drawdown. In a phone call he talked about the smell of smoke...He couldn't actually see the fires, but said that many military personnel and their families were experiencing respitory complications from the smoke. The hell of it, and something I had failed to consider, is that many military installations are home to deployed soldiers, sailors, Marines and airmen. Their families left behind are scrambling in a sort of "every man, woman and child for themselves" environment and all the hotels, motels and inns are filled to capacity...causing people to seek out friends or go far beyond what would be considered a reasonhable radius. Randy, a second class whatever an FT is called these days, says that the Navy is doing their best to come through, but the simple fact is, people want to stay close enough to their household effects and worldly accumulated gear to keep an eye on their "stuff" thus they are ignoring officially promulgated evacuation instructions. He says that to his knowledge, the wholesale looting everyone forecasted and was widely expected, has not taken place. With the Guard stretched to its' limits and the State Troopers and local police moving evacuation traffic, everyone anticipated disaster area looting on a large scale....according to Randy, it never happened. Maybe all the potential thieves are down at Hertz and U-Haul renting large trucks. Just joking....Don't jump into your self-righteous robes and send me "Dex that is inapperopriate e-mails." Folks, Americans have always turned the most terrible situations into humor. That is an American hallmark characteristic. Men in C-47's approaching the French coast the night of June 5th 1944...Were laughing about the free trip to France....laughing about, out of all the men in America, that they ended up sitting in a plane about to be dumped out over real estate where a large part of the present population was there for the specific purpose of rendering them deader than hell..."Gentlemen, Aren't we the lucky ones?" I think it's called graveyard humor. We may not have invented it but we sure as hell have perfected it. Back years ago when an AIR FLORIDA plane crashed in the Potomac shortly after takeoff...within an hour an Arlington County Rescue Paramedic, told me that if you rode AIR FLORIDA you had to specify "Key West" or "Key Bridge" (Key Bridge spans the Potomac a mile up river from the crash site. It was named for Francis Scott Key the composer of the words to our Star Spangled Banner.) Another fellow who was a SEAL diver assisting in the body recovery effort, said that when the plane took off, maybe they had to make "a stop for ice.". This didn't make them bad uncaring men...their mere presence out in the miserable cold, put the lie to the notion that they were evil, insensitive sonuvabitches...They were just doing what Americans always do, find the smile...the totally inappropriate smile that gets you through the unendurable...the terribly horable moments in life. A lot of folks who never experienced a deeply moving event fail to recognize the necessity of that form of humor. That's why you hear laughter and innapropriate humor in emergency rooms. It's a relief mechanism. No apology required. DEX
Skii
Posted 2007-10-23 10:55 AM (#8390 - in reply to #8385)

Great Sage of the Sea

Duh think its too early in this catasrophe for this dumb humor -- we have too many friends on pins and needles to even consider this hypocrisy -- some good quotes from the bible would help -- just spoke to my dear friends in Rancho Bernardo and they don't need 1940's dumb humor I can assre
you.

Sorry Dex your e mail was out of line and I hope my prayer bank can take the place of the last post I read....

Don't usually respond to this type of post but this one is this tragedy occuring was a bit sick....
Sure would not have want to have read it after 9/11 and this is California's 9/11

Tank It

Ski
Jim M.
Posted 2007-10-23 12:05 PM (#8392 - in reply to #8385)

Great Sage of the Sea

The fires are pretty bad near University of San Diego..my nephew goes to college there and he text-messaged me that though they hadn't evacked yet, or needed to, things were to get worse there, with regards to the fire. My other nephew says that nothing is near Pomona College where he goes..but with the winds there, you can never tell.
Corabelle
Posted 2007-10-23 1:43 PM (#8394 - in reply to #8390)

COMSUBBBS

You're right on, Ski. It seems that everythng is supposed to be funny to him. So very inappropriate. UGH !!

Cora

Edited by Corabelle 2007-10-23 1:46 PM
John J. Patterson
Posted 2007-10-23 1:50 PM (#8396 - in reply to #8385)

Crew

It happens about once a decade, the Santa Annas kick up and dry everything out to tinder. It's is a choice people make when deciding where to live. In a desert with highly flammable brush nearby, in a hurricaine prone area below sea level, on the great plains in tornado alley, or in a large city with a high crime rate. Everyone needs to weigh the risks of where they choose to live. My wife's family is just over the coastal range from Malibu. My mother-in-law said the smoke was very bad, even with the windows closed they could still smell it.
Humor helps us all deal with stressful situations, it usually is in poor taste, but we all laugh and the stress level goes down. I have been a volunteer fireman and EMT, an emergency room nurse, an ICU nurse, and presently am a Hospice Nurse. Yes I make inappropriate jokes most of the time I am just saying out loud what everyone else is thinking. The other day I had a patient tell me he wasn't afraid of dying. My mind jumped into overdrive thinking we were going to have this big philosophical discussion on death and dying. Then he said I just don't want to be there when it happens.
RCK
Posted 2007-10-23 2:30 PM (#8397 - in reply to #8385)
Master and Commander

When Stan Laurel of the Laurel and Hardy comedy team was in the hospital dying, he told the nurse he wish he was outside playing golf. The nurse said that she didn't know he played golf. Stan said,"I don't, but I'd much rather be doing that than what I am doing now"
dex armstrong
Posted 2007-10-23 3:13 PM (#8398 - in reply to #8385)

COMSUBBBS

I lived in Carlsbad for two years as a lad...I experienced fires Camp Pendleton, then the home of the First Marine Division hadfires all the time The Mission of San Louis Rey was nearly burned up in 1954...I'm sorry about your sensitrivity. I can understand a woman who never served in the company of hard working men, but Ski, you must be a very lovely person and to have gone through life without laughing and joking about hard times, must be sort of sad. Famous line before the attack in the Argonne 1918..."Come'on ladies...you want to live forever?" GeneraloAnthony "Tony" McCaulliff Bastonge 1944 in response to the offering of Nazi surrender terms..."NUTS"....Bill Cauldwell at Neimegen..."Go through the pockets of the dead and ammo belts for rounds....If you find the key to Marlene Dietriechts(sp) apartment it's mine." It was tough Ski....to provide infantrymen with ammo they stripped machine gun belts and scavenged among the dead. But unlike you and your sensitivity, they laughed in the face of adversity and wrote their names in history. When they carried Pvt. Lee Marvin down off Mount Suribachi on Iwo Jima where he had been shot through both buttocks...he smiled at an advancing Marine who offered him a smoke and lit it and said,"If you get home before me, tell Mom to sell the outhouse." A naval hero, I forget just who, replied to a message asking what his ship needed...."Send more Japs." Men...real honest to God soldiers and sailors understand the value of humor in the face of tough sledding. Women who are sensitive and politically correct, would have a helluva time with Bill Maulden's UP FRONT....There's a famous cartoon showing Willie and Joe passing an Italian family whose home had been levelled...orchard was destroyed and and his fields were pockmarked with shell craters....and there was the family all huddled together....and Joe speaks..."Hey Willie, tell him things aren't that bad...his house is air conditioned, his trees are pruned and his fields are plowed." Boy that would really bring some BooHoos from the limb sitters on this venue who spend their time, looking for things to be indignant about. If making a silly joke about looters twists your panties, I sure in hell am glad I wasn't in any pressure hull with you....I served... I wore Dolphins and served with lads who made a joke out of damn near everything...the tougher it got the funnier it was. Nothing was sacred, but then at 400feet sucking dead air and lithium hydroxide we were short of self righteous harpies who insisted on being just one of the boys and Den Mother to all. This lady would be far more happy and obviously one helluva lot less agitated...if she simply didn't read anything I wrote, because frankly she seems to get perverse pleasure being wanta-be submariner and grown men's conscience. As a kid, women who hung around hunting camps, men's saloons and pool halls had a name. I get damn sick and tired of typing happy-go-lucky bulls**t and running barefoot through life's clover and having this woman constantly soiling her drawers over my posts. I have done everything humanly possible to seperate her from my hippockets. There are some people who are simply too rude to be politely asked to take there BS and go elsewhere. Corabelle Darlin' what does it take to make you understand that I simply want you and your comments out of my life? I had hoped that Don would help me make you understand that. It is not my intent to aggrivate ANYONE...I don't force anyone to read anything I write...I just enjoy writing stuff for the unsalvagable, politically incorrect, the insensitive and practicing rapscallions...I don't write Little Golden Books or lesson plans for Sunday School. I make jokes about life's rough situations, because real men...men who leave blood on playing fields, build railroads, dams, bridges and rig high steel, do it. The military (with the notable exception of some posters here) has always done it. At the time of Nagasaki and Hiroshima the majority of Americans thought that the devistation of those two Japaneese cities was a form of justified payback for Pearl Harbor, the Battan Death March, the carnage wrought by wave after wave of Kamikazi attacks....Maybe that was wrong...maybe folks would have been happier if we flew over Hokaido and sprinkled M&M's on them...but the fact remains we didn't...We chose to end the War and save the thousands of American lives that would have been lost in invading the Japanese home islands. Cora takes issue with those of us who are proud of the crews of Enola Gay and Boks Car who delivered the payback for the lads of the Arizona. Didn't mean to offend anyone...went out of my way to placate the fainthearted and malcontents. Anything I say seems to be red meat for folks who never seem to have anything to say, but wait in ambush to jump on damn near anything. You killjoys sure take a lot of lifes sunshine...you must be renting trucks to haul away life's joy. DEX
Gil
Posted 2007-10-23 3:48 PM (#8399 - in reply to #8385)
Master and Commander

Dex,
Not all of us were offended by your post and I live in SoCal.!

Edited by Gil 2007-10-23 4:06 PM
Runner485
Posted 2007-10-23 4:06 PM (#8402 - in reply to #8399)

COMSUBBBS

Dex.....keep em coming! Like Gil said only two out of how many?
Stoops
Posted 2007-10-23 4:27 PM (#8404 - in reply to #8402)
Master and Commander

Ya know, I have a perverse sense of humor....(Guess I got it from Mother Nature who showed her perverse sense of humor the day I was born!) Dex is right...there are times when you just don't want to acknowledge a tragic situation and graveyard humor is one method of release.....

I can vividly remember the night the Texas Beagle Doc and I were in the rollover on Pelican Island.....I thought he was dead when I got out of the truck and went to check on him....and that was not tolerable to me.....Thank goodness he was ok....but I joked about him doing anything to get out of finishing off the work weekend on Cavalla!

May be offensive to some.....but it wasn't meant to be....

But I'm not going to crucify Dex on this one.....BTDT....and no matter what you might think of Dex, he's not one to turn his back on someone in need or pain. We are on opposite sides of the political fence, but you can not convince me that he would ever make light of someone in trouble....

miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2007-10-23 6:27 PM (#8410 - in reply to #8385)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Update on one in San Diego Co.

Mike Brood and family are still at home in Oceanside. Spoke with him at 6 PM ST. He is in between Rice fire to the Northeast and
Witch fire to the Southeast, in between Rt. 76 (north side) & Rt. 78 (south side). He says skies are no longer "clear", and is hoping that he will not have to leave. Keep him in your thoughts, as we keep all our "family" members there, too.

JrKrup, Skimmer
Posted 2007-10-23 10:17 PM (#8417 - in reply to #8410)

Master and Commander

Subject: Ventura County

I live in Ventura County. We had 3 fires here on Sunday. One was put out yesterday, but another one slopped over into the county. Just south of me, between my house and Los Angeles is the Malibu fire. I have been breathing solid air - not gaseous air - for three days. I stood on the roof of my house and watched flames in the distance. My dining room table is loaded with ashes that came through under the edges of the skylight.

In 1999, I drove the fuel truck that supported a type 3 (small) fire fighting helicopter, and was on 8 different fires here in California. I drove through active fires, driving a truck loaded with 300 gallons of jet fuel. I've been there, and I have done that, and I have the pictures to prove it.

On one fire in Santa Barbara county, one firefighter lost his life. He got caught in a swarm of bees, and they killed him. While his body was being transported out of the helicopter attack base, the other firefighters were making smart alec remarks. We stood in respect to him, but the remarks, while not of a personal nature, were still loaded with gallows humor. It definately relieved the tension, and brought a sense of normality to a very tough job.

So keep up the humor Dex. It is welcomed here.

Jon Krup, Skimmer - Minesweeps.
Blue from West Oz
Posted 2007-10-24 6:25 AM (#8425 - in reply to #8385)

Master and Commander

Subject: Best Wishes to ....

...all those I met in 2004 or didn't meet that live in CA.

I haven't actually seen much of the TV news of late, just working is all, but....obviously it is bad out there.

Take care

Blue *_*
JrKrup, Skimmer
Posted 2007-10-24 10:33 AM (#8432 - in reply to #8425)

Master and Commander

Subject: And if the fires weren't bad enough, ...

And if the fires weren't bad enough, as of 10:30AM Pacific Daylight Time, Wednesday morning, ...

In the past 24 hours, there were 47 earthquakes in California and Nevada. The biggest was a magnitude 4+, but it was out in the desert.

Yesterday, the COLDEST reported daytime temperature here in Ventura county was 91 degrees, with a 96 here in Oxnard. Relative humidity was hovering at about 8%.
vonzipper18
Posted 2007-10-24 1:58 PM (#8436 - in reply to #8385)
Mess cooking

Ski, I don't know you and only met Dex once, which I know he doesn't remember. In fact, I might be on his s**tlist, I don't know, but I sure would rather have him covering my back than you and your praybook. You people are nuts. Nothing Dex said was even close to being out of line. My brother lives right in the mix in S. Cal. I asked him to do a couple of mashmellows for me before he leaves. No sense wasting a fire. He laughed his ass off and then started to do what needed done. No he didn't pick up a praybook. There are times to pray for the people that do that sort of thing and there is a time for action. Right now, action is what is needed and some humor doesn't hurt, either.
Skii
Posted 2007-10-24 3:45 PM (#8439 - in reply to #8385)

Great Sage of the Sea

Now there are some SICK PUPPY DOGS IN HERE - sure glad you weren't on my boats when we were in harms way -- I did not see the humor in Harms Way -- glad you love Dex so much -- guess we should have him quote after each of pigs obituaries instead of Nancy's prayers --- no prayers needed in death according to all you sick puppies that support that idiots quotes --

No Pig I won't do a Laurel and Hardy joke when you do the obits --

Your sick Humor Dex is only absorbed by sick people --- I would rather have a good prayer over my casket than a Laurel and Hardy Joke ---

Cora keps those HEAD SETS ON this way maybe you won't here this vial humor loved and adorned by a mass foul humor lovers

Sorry was not going to respond but had to

I hope no one again says a prayer wish to anyone on this BBS as quoted by all those that feel humor
and sick humor is better than a prayer -- okay you sick puppies win NO PRAYERS JUST SICK HUMOR

SKI
Gil
Posted 2007-10-24 4:28 PM (#8441 - in reply to #8385)
Master and Commander

Ski,
Sorry to disappoint you. But if by me stating that Dex's post did not offend me makes me a sick puppy in your eyes -- THEN SO BE IT!!!!.

Edited by Gil 2007-10-24 4:30 PM
Skii
Posted 2007-10-24 6:05 PM (#8445 - in reply to #8385)

Great Sage of the Sea

Just read 235 names at our "Tolling of Bells" San Diego Assn meeting with prayer and no Dex jokes
Read 52 lost boats names at our reunion no Dex Laurel and Hardy jokes just a prayer
Posted over 25 messages this year for fallen shipmates with prayer and no dead people jokes
Prayed for nieces/aunts/wives/children in trouble for those posting on BBS no Dex jokes

I don't mind people siding with Dex's sick sick humor - but I do mind those that say prayer book people are not wanted or needed on this BBS --- let all the sicko's follow up on all the prayers noted in the future and say that Dex says don't pray just bring forth sick humor...

Cora Your so right -- I know I will never hear the end of this but I really felt that when the poster now say that just because someone wants to pray instead of listen to sick humor he should bury his head
I will remember that when our shipmates and brothers ask us to pray for their loved ones...I will send
my prayers and wait for all the sicko jokes to be tagged on to them.

To all those in San Diego this is the time for prayer -- not jokes - and not the sickos that survived the many battles and close calls during all of our wars and strife that feel that because we pick up a prayer book to wish you God Speed they would rather laugh and joke about your plight.. I think that
those that dodged the bullet can joke, but those that lost their homes can not, the four fire fighters that lost their lives two years ago famlies are not laughing (maybe Dex can call them and give them a Laurel and Hardy joke to make them feel better). Two people lost their lives maybe the lovers of good humor can go to their wakes and funeral and come up with a bunch of good Dex jokes.

I do hope that none of you will openly say that the power of prayer is NOT NEEDED by those in
trouble. If you want to DAMN ANYTHING I SAY DO NOT DAMN MY BELIEF THAT THOSE FAMILIES WOULD RATHER HAVE OUR PRAYERS THAN OUR JOKES - My Bible will stay in my hand.

Like I said in my original post Dex - stuff your sick humor in this time of strife.

Dick Jarenski
Sterlet Assn Cdr/Secy
White Mountain Base Vice Cdr

We OPEN AND CLOSE OUR MEETINGS WITH A SUBMARINE PRAYER NOT A LAUREL AND HARDY JOKE
When it comes to giving "Comfort and Strength" to those that need it maybe the GOOD OLD BOOY
CLUB can take a back seat for a moment

Corabelle
Posted 2007-10-24 8:00 PM (#8455 - in reply to #8445)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Thank you, Ski -

Did you toll the bell for my brother? I wish I could have heard his name read. Make a joke about that, you sicko maniac. (Not you, Ski.)

I was having lunch at 7:15 a.m. with an old shipmate, and bought a paper so that I could read it while we were having our very early lunch, and the topic of copyright came up. We were served by a big-busted blonde. I can't tell you what her face looked like, I just had trouble keepin her low-hanging t**s out of my coffee.

I'll be in touch with you about what I learned. About the copyright, not the blonde.

Sems to me that there have been prayer chains on this board many times. The most recently for Warshot. Seems as though even Dex joined that chain without any graveyard humor. Do they work? You'll have to ask Ron.

Cora

Edited by Corabelle 2007-10-24 8:10 PM
dirty dave
Posted 2007-10-24 9:35 PM (#8460 - in reply to #8398)

Crew

Dex,here is quote from a man who was there and laughed about it

'IT IS NOT THE CRITIC WHO COUNTS'
NOT THE ONE WHO POINTS OUT HOW THE STRONG MAN STUMBLED
OR HOW THE DOER OF DEEDS MIGHT DONE THEM BETTER.

THE CREDIT BELONGS TO THE MAM WHO IS ACTUALLY IN THE ARENA,
whose face is marred with sweet and dust and blood;
who strives valiantly;
who errs and comes short again and again;
who knows the great enthusiasms,and great devotion,
and spends himself in a worthy cause;
who if he wins,knows the triumph of mighty achievement;
and who,if he fails,at least fails while daring greatly,
so that his place shall never be with those cold and
timid souls that know neither victory nor defeat.

THEODORE ROOSEVELT
Dex,you are always in the arena and will always put up a great fight.

Thank you for being you.....Dirty Dave
Blue from West Oz
Posted 2007-10-25 4:54 AM (#8468 - in reply to #8455)

Master and Commander

Subject: You can always...

....send me the info on the big busted blonde if you like Cora! lol

Blue *_*
MAD DOG
Posted 2007-10-25 6:24 AM (#8469 - in reply to #8445)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE:SICK PUPPIES

SKI: Please come down from your pulpit long enough to take a look at the real world.We may be viewed,at times,to be "sick puppies",but we are not atheists.None of us has discarded the need for , the blessings of ,or the absolute truth of the power of prayer.Yes,we all have and will continue to offer our prayers to God for our brothers and sisters who are in peril.You seem to forget,however,that one of our God-given human traits is a sense of humor.If we exclude humor from our lives,we are condemning ourselves to a shallow existence.Take a look at the thread that was generated in support of Warshot.Along with our heartfelt prayers,most of us offered humorous posts as well.Noone is faulting you for your religious beliefs,but I for one take exception to your attempts to exclude all other aspects of life.To steal a line from Readers digest,Laughter is, at times,the best medicine......DBF

Edited by MAD DOG 2007-10-25 6:38 AM
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software