Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "It's hard sometimes, but as long as we remember them around the campfire, they will live forever." -- Walt Specht
Your Phone Number
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Gil Shaddock
Posted 2007-10-29 12:08 PM (#8665)
Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: Your Phone Number

Your phone number . . . .

Google has implemented a new feature which enables you to type a telephone number into the search bar and hit enter and you will be given the person's name and address. If you then hit MapQuest, you will get a map to the person's house. Everyone should be aware of this! It's a nationwide reverse telephone book.

If a child gives out his/her phone number, someone can now look it up to find out where he/she lives. The safety issues are obvious, and alarming.

Note that you can have your phone number removed or blocked. I tried my number and it came up along with the mapquest and directions straight to our house. I did fill out the removal form for myself, and encourage all of you to do the same. Quite scary.

Please look up your own number.

In order to test whether your phone number is mapped, go to: google (http://www.google.com/) Type your phone number in the search bar (i.e. 555-555-1212) and hit enter. If you want to BLOCK Google from divulging your private information, simply click on your telephone number and then click on the Removal Form. Removal takes 48-hours.

Check your own number and although this may not apply to you if you have an unlisted number or cell phone as primary contact, but you may know someone who needs to know this.

Please share this information with friends and family.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AtoZ
Posted 2007-10-29 1:41 PM (#8668 - in reply to #8665)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: Your Phone Number

This feature has been on Google for quite a while [a coupla years at least]. However......I have an AT&T cell phone with the same number for >6 years, my wife's AT&T cell phone is at least 5 years old and our house phone is a cable phone, and none of them are listed on Google. Our old home phone which was disconnected 5 years ago is still listed.

Go figger.
Pig
Posted 2007-10-30 9:52 AM (#8711 - in reply to #8665)
Plankowner

You sure do make it hard for us research guys... phone numbers are one of our best sources for locating shipmates.
Stoops
Posted 2007-10-30 11:52 AM (#8715 - in reply to #8665)
Master and Commander

cell phone numbers are not available to search engines.....that's why if you want to stay obscure, don't list your cell phone number on any posts or online directories.

Hopefully, cell phone companies will continue to keep cell phone numbers unpublished. I think it will be economic suicide for the first company that makes a cell phone directory available to the public.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software