Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "I can assure you that they went down fighting and that their brothers who survived them took a grim toll of our savage enemy to avenge their deaths." Admiral Charles Lockwood
NSR but Navy
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

geno
Posted 2020-02-24 10:54 AM (#96928)
Old Salt

Subject: NSR but Navy

In researching my family history, I came across a record for my Uncle. He was born in 1923 and enlisted in the Navy on 5 Sep 1939. He was 16 y.o. Not too big of a deal. He came from a family of 4 boys born between 1921 and 1926 in Birmingham, Alabama. The war was on and people were needed. My father enlisted at about the same age and was on the USS Bushnell in Guam before they discharged him for sleep walking. I have a photo of him back in high school in his Blues because that was the only clothes he had. Anyway, sorry to get side tracked. On 1 Jan 1946 my uncle was assigned to the USS Keith, DE 241. According to the crew roster he was a CMoMM. Am I reading this correct as a Chief Motor Machinist? If so, I knew making grade was fast in the Navy during the war so it was 7 years to make Chief. Do I have the rate correct.
Ric
Posted 2020-02-24 2:27 PM (#96931 - in reply to #96928)

Plankowner

Subject: RE: NSR but Navy

Motor Machinist Mate; MoMM: Operate machine tools. Operate and maintain internal combustion engines and engine auxiliaries. Knowledge of pressure and air systems. Be familiar with electrical apparatus.

Machinist's Mate; MM: Operate main and auxiliary engines. Adjust, repair, and overhaul engines. Be familiar with ship's drainage systems, distilling plants, evaporators and pumps.
Holland Club
Posted 2020-02-24 7:30 PM (#96934 - in reply to #96931)

Master and Commander

Right on. Later to EN (Engineman) Yep.the rating exam did pose questions on all those items plus the general Navy stuff.
GaryKC
Posted 2020-02-24 10:04 PM (#96935 - in reply to #96928)

COMSUBBBS

I've found this site informative when researching things Navy & ratings
http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN/ref/Ranks&Rates/index.html
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software