Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "They also serve those who only stand and wait" - Eleanor Rickover, quoting Milton's "On His Blindness"
Question, unrelated to submarines
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

dex armstrong
Posted 2007-10-30 3:21 PM (#8717)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Question, unrelated to submarines

Boys and Girls, A question came up at lunch today at Smokey Joes at Chesapeake Beach, Maryland. Joe Gibbs, the coach of the Washington REDSKINS has had two coaching careers. He left football years ago to persue a second career as a NASCAR owner, fielding a string of competitive high performance race cars. During that period he became elgible for the Hall of Fame and was voted in on his first year of elgibility...and entered the Hall. Then he was enticed to return to the game and since then has had a mediochre record, that when if combined with his previous record, would make him unworthy of consideration when considering his combined lifetime record. In such a case, how is that handled? If when he finally hangs it up...if his lifetime record has become far less than would normally make a coach elgible, is there a revote? Is he simply removed from the Hall? Does he get an "asterick"? Or is the inconsistency simply ignored to avoid embarrassing an obviously good man?. Don't get me wrong. I'm a Joe Gibbs man....I think he is one of the finest men in the game today...honest, humble and a man who never makes excuses for his failures or falling short of his personal performance goals...Wish there were more like him. This is not meant to start a firestorm of condemnation, name calling, jokes made at the expense of a man who came on TV and took full responsibility for the pityful performance of his players last Sunday in New England. Just wondered how his overall career will be viewed, if the Skins continue to tank.Thanks DEX
Ralph Luther
Posted 2007-10-30 3:31 PM (#8719 - in reply to #8717)
COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Question, unrelated to submarines

Good question! IMHO I would think it improper to take an award back after giving it for any circumstance, especially after a number of years have past.
Joe Gibbs IS a great Coach still. Every Coach has a bad year from time to time, look at Joe Paterno at Penn State and Charlie Weiss at Notre Dame.
I think Coach Gibbs will be back on the plus side next year if he decides to stay with it.

Edited by Ralph Luther 2007-10-30 3:32 PM
Runner485
Posted 2007-10-30 3:37 PM (#8721 - in reply to #8717)

COMSUBBBS

Joe ain't that young and if anything will factor into a decision to re-retire that will, coupled with a miserable season. I don't know who talked him into returning, but the money had to be an important reason.....It'll buy a few more race cars!

Edited by Runner485 2007-10-30 3:38 PM
Gil
Posted 2007-10-30 3:39 PM (#8722 - in reply to #8717)
Master and Commander

Since voting into the HOF is subjective I don't think he can be removed. I would guess once you're in you're in for good. Besides he won three Super Bowls and they can't take that away from him.

Also I don't think the end of one's career should always take away from what they did accomplish. The best baseball player I ever saw was Willie Mays and I can still in my mind picture him falling down in the Met outfield in his last years. I don't think that should have caused him to not to be voted in. Look at how pitiful Johnny U, and Joe Namath were because they kept playing. Also Jerry Rice kept playing until the teams had to cut him to get rid of him.

In baseball when Tommy Lasorda was put up for HOF admission it was only if he promised to forego managing anywhere else in major league baseball. Maybe the NFL needs to do the same thing.

Edited by Gil 2007-10-31 9:33 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software