Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: In World War II the Germans lost 782 submarines, the Japanese lost 130, Great Britan and Commonwealth countries lost 88 subs, Russia lost 110 submarines and the United States lost only 52 submarines. Twenty-three of the Japanese subs lost were victims of the American Submarine Service.
Ray "Olgoat" Stone TMC(SS)
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

dex armstrong
Posted 2007-10-30 6:21 PM (#8732)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Ray "Olgoat" Stone TMC(SS)

It is no secret, Ray Stone is a very close and valued friend...A true shipmate and a guy who would crawl out of the sack at two a.m. to back you in an alley brawl. Ray, for those of you who know and respect him, is having a very tough time of it right now. I just got off the phone with him. He's in California. He went out because his step Mother, who he loves very much and is in her nineties is comatose and he went out to arrange hospice care. While there...this afternoon to be exact, he was taking his Father (also in his nineties) to run some routine errands when his Dad collapsed and had to be rushed to the hospital...and at the time I spoke with him his Father was hanging on by the slimmest of margins, having had to be resuscitated several times and having had to have his heart restarted when his pulse dissappeared. Capt. Stone USC&GS had a full and distinguished career in the United States Coast and Geodetic Survey...commanding several Coast Survey Hydrographic ships and holding other posts within the department. He is a grand gentleman who demonstrated on a wonderful balmy summer evening, the proper manner used in knocking one helluva dent in a fifth of Gentleman Jack and recounting wonderful tales and first hand accounts of service at sea aboard hydrographic ships. As a lad, I had spent two summers serving under Cdr. G.W. Moore USC&GS, Commanding Triangulation Party 607....Capt. Stone was a close friend of Cdr. Moores and we had a great time swapping lies and recalling those wonderful times. Capt. Stone's magnanimous personality, zeal for life and generous nature have been replicated in his son Ray. Please keep my friend and devoted shipmate Ray in your hearts, minds and prayers throughout the trying days ahead. The good Captain is most fortunate in having such a loyal and unfailing son. DEX
dex armstrong
Posted 2007-10-30 6:25 PM (#8733 - in reply to #8732)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Ray "Olgoat" Stone TMC(SS)

Forgot to place this in original post....Ray will keep me updated and I in turn will post all information as to status, condition and anything else Ray feels comfortable with me posting. The original post above was authorized by the Old Chief. DEX
Stoops
Posted 2007-10-30 6:49 PM (#8734 - in reply to #8732)
Master and Commander

Thanks, Dex..............I really appreciate your post............Ray and his family will be in our prayers....................
I have to say also that there is no finer shipmate than ray stone....even if he just met you, he treated you like you were one of his family.....

So I grieve with Ray now...I pray that the Lord will ease his burden and those of his family. A better shipmate would be hard to find....

Edited by Stoops 2007-10-30 6:52 PM
Boy Throttleman
Posted 2007-10-30 7:10 PM (#8735 - in reply to #8732)

Old Salt

Flo and I will pray and wish Ray and his family well.
Thanks Dex
TSpoon
Posted 2007-10-30 8:04 PM (#8739 - in reply to #8732)
Great Sage of the Sea

I posted this under a different string and am reposting it here. I live about 2 hours from where Ray is and I offered any assistance I can do.

I also told him this weekend is the annual Pampanito birthday (6 Nov 1943) WWII crew reunion if he gets a chance and needs a little bubble head companionship to un-wind with.

T.Spoon, DBF
=====================================
Subject: RE: VERY DBF!!!

John, I called him this morning and he was at the hospital and said he would calll me back. He just did and is not having fun. Seems his step Mom is hospitalized ane sort of comatose, his words.

While he was at the bank with his 98 year old father helping him do some financial things his Pop collapsed. They called an ambulance and told him they were going to a Kaiser Hospital. He went there and waited over an hour only to find out the took him to a different hospital. He said he is holding his own for now but for all the praying types out there they could sure use some of it now.

Ray calld me from the bank were he had gone back to to finish the business. He said he wold call again latere as the bank lady had completed something for him and he needed to get back to working on it.

Cowboy and I met Rays Dad aboard the Pampanito 4 or 5 years back and he is a charming gentleman.

So for your praying types keep Ole Goate (Ray Stone) and his Mom and Pop in your prayers tonight.

Will keep you updated,

T.Spoon, DBF
Blue from West Oz
Posted 2007-10-30 9:51 PM (#8742 - in reply to #8732)

Master and Commander

Best wishes to Ray and his family!

Blue *_*
dex armstrong
Posted 2007-10-31 5:39 AM (#8745 - in reply to #8732)

COMSUBBBS

Tim...It is Tim Spoon if I'm correct...In my conversation with Ray, he mentioned how deeply he appreciated your willingness to offer assistance and how much you just "being there" for him, means. He also mentioned, that if time and circumstance permit, he intends to work out a way to link up with you. He remembers you fondly from meeting you at Cowboy's BASH AT THE RANCH and he repeated his assessment of you as a true "old time type shipmate" over and over. It was a central theme of our conversation. Thanks, for those of us beyond "toss a lifeline" reach who really care for the old unsalvagable rascal....having you standing watch on him is very comforting. And, something for you to toss in your operational ditty-bag. I'm here holding down the home port watch and can be reached in my dog shack at (301) 645-8993 if there is anything that needs to be handled here....everything except renting the Goodyear blimp to notify all of Ray's "cups runneth over" harem of his possibly protracted absence. Tim, Thanks DEX
Runner485
Posted 2007-10-31 6:00 AM (#8746 - in reply to #8732)

COMSUBBBS

Ray, our good thoughts for your Dad & step-Mom headed their way. Hang in there shipmate. These are difficult times.

Joe Roche
Ralph Luther
Posted 2007-10-31 6:47 AM (#8747 - in reply to #8732)
COMSUBBBS

Ray, you can add my hopes and prayers for you and your folks to the list. Stay well, Shipmate.
steamboat
Posted 2007-10-31 7:41 AM (#8754 - in reply to #8747)
Master and Commander

Ray, Our hearts are bleeding for you back here on the right coast. It was very interesting to learn about the mold from which you were cut. Your Dad is a real one of a kind. Someone to be proud of. We all hope he and your Stepmom can weather this storm.
Hang in there, Shipmate!
Steamboat sends
Don Gentry
Posted 2007-10-31 7:42 AM (#8755 - in reply to #8732)

Admin

Ray, I stand beside you in spirit shipmate! I hope things make a turn for the better. Standing by...
TSpoon
Posted 2007-10-31 12:27 PM (#8765 - in reply to #8745)
Great Sage of the Sea

Thanks for the kind words Dex, and yes it is Timothy (Tim) Spoon or T.Spoon, DBF for those in the know.

Too many folks today have forgotten what an "old time shipmate" really is. I first met Olgoat in person at the Bash and again in Reno at the combined sub vets convention. We need more of those combined ones. My wife and I were walking down the hall one evening and bumped into Olgoat. I introduced them and she later asked if all my bubblehead friends had wierd names having met that day a Pig, Olgoat, Cowboy, Dudley do Right of the RCMP, Roadrunner, JP, Sparky, Tubes Forward, Tubes Aft, Cookie, Magellan(QM type), and such. She married me while I was aboard the Ronquil and she made a dependants cruise in 1967 so she knows and understands. I told her last night that Ray had called and she asked "who?". I told her Olgoat from Reno and she knew right away who I was talking about.

It was either Launcher Larry or Billy Bob (might be the same guy) who called Cowboy a few years back asking if he would be a safe base for his 18 year old daughter who was coming to California to visit some boy and his family. As Cowboy lived 5 hours south of here he had him call Gary Wlaker and myself. She was coming to a town about half way between us and we both said sure. Having never met him or her. He had her call one afternoon ater she got here to touch base. I asked her if she knew why her Dad had done this and she said no. She asked if I had ever met her Dad and I said no. She then asked why I volunteered. I told her as I have three daughters and five granddaughters I knew having a safe base was important. Also we were both Brothers of the 'Phin and that she seemed to understand that.

Any way, Thanks again for the kinds words and Olgoat knows we Brothers of the 'Phin can depend on each other, even 3,000 miles from home.

For those who heard of the 5.6/5.7 earthquake in the SF Bay area last night not to worry. It was not the kind to topple tall buildings or collapse freeway over changes. It was the sort to shake things around and toss bottles off store shelves. The kind that will break hundreds of bottles in a liquor store. Speaking of liquor stores, Olgoat was last seen with a jumbo size bag of sponges and a 5 gallon bucket headed to a close Booze Emporium to help clean up.LOL

Here's to the health of Ray's Mom and Pop.....

T.Spoon, DBF

Doc Beeghly
Posted 2007-10-31 2:03 PM (#8767 - in reply to #8732)
Crew

Ray and I were shipmates on the Runner and if It would relieve Ray and his familys pain at this time, and it were within my means I would gladly hire that blimp Dex mentioned to notify all concerned and trailing lifelines to Ray and his family and a giant baloon reaching to heaven asking for Gods help and mercy through his son Jesus Christ.
Doc B.
miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2007-10-31 3:30 PM (#8772 - in reply to #8732)

COMSUBBBS

Ray,

Know that you will have many prayers and good thoughts coming from the Lynn household. I let John know what had happened and even in his "euphoric" state (still trying to wake up from anesthesia) he wanted me to let you know that he has you in
his thoughts. May God watch over you and your family.

RCK
Posted 2007-10-31 3:54 PM (#8773 - in reply to #8732)
Master and Commander

May the Good Lord bless and keep your family
Corabelle
Posted 2007-10-31 4:58 PM (#8774 - in reply to #8773)

COMSUBBBS

Sometimes difficult things pile up on us - things that are easily handled if they'd come just one at a time.

Ray - prayers and all kinds of good vibrations are headed your way. I hope that all of the combined prayers from the board will get you through this tough spot in your life.

All the best,

Cora
dex armstrong
Posted 2007-10-31 5:37 PM (#8775 - in reply to #8732)

COMSUBBBS

Ray, Know you're reading these wonderful posts. I have had several offline e-mails from your friends, shipmates and former participants on your board. EVERYONE sends their best wishes and support. Even, the very interesting lady we had dinner with at Hard Times a while ago sends her best. Kemosabi, hang in there and what I said, still goes...If you need ANYTHING just run up your Bravo flag or put up a star shell. I'm holding down the home port and dumping the sharpshooter buckets. DEX
PaulR
Posted 2007-10-31 6:09 PM (#8776 - in reply to #8732)

Master and Commander

My best wishes for a complete recovery for your dad and your step mother.
Warshot
Posted 2007-10-31 6:39 PM (#8778 - in reply to #8732)
WWII Sub Vet

Ray,
I think it goes without say that I hope and Pray for them.

I would also send my warmest wishes to "Olgoat". Take care of yourself too.

Warshot
PatH
Posted 2007-11-01 5:02 PM (#8807 - in reply to #8732)

Great Sage of the Sea

Hang in there, old friend. I'm thinking of you and hoping for the best.
Pig
Posted 2007-11-02 9:31 AM (#8832 - in reply to #8732)
Plankowner

Ray - you and your family are in our prayers. Many of us on the Board know from personal experiene what you are going through... hang in there shipmate!
Bill Linne
Posted 2007-11-03 5:22 AM (#8868 - in reply to #8732)

Senior Crew

Hang in there, Ray!  Lynne and me have you and yours in our thoughts and prayers.

I've no idea where in California you are, but I'm only an hour or so from Tim, so you can't be all that far.  If there is ANYTHING you need, email me at blinneATci.fairfield.ca.us for instant results.  (That address goes to my Crackberry, a 24x7 companion for about two more years.)

I just had a flashback to the "wet willy" you planted on me while somebody was taking a photo (may have been the Cowpoke) in Reno, I believe it was.  Now I'm gonna try to find that pic.  It always makes me grin!

Please contact me if you need anything, shipmate!  (Fairfield is on I-80 smack-dab between San Freakcisco and Sacramento.  In terms of landmarks with which you will identify, just look for the Anheuser-Busch Brewery.)

Bill
TSpoon
Posted 2007-11-03 7:22 AM (#8870 - in reply to #8732)
Great Sage of the Sea

Bill,
I think he said he is in Petaluma which is darn close to you.

T.Spoon, DBF
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software