Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Habitability is heavily stressed in the construction of modern submarines. Specially designed color schemes, mechanical conveniences, air conditioning, and the best chow in the Navy are supplied to make the vessels more livable. A full time staff is maintained by Electric Boat Division to work out 'human engineering' problems.
Response to a post about Gen. Tibbetts and the Enola Gay
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Corabelle
Posted 2007-11-02 1:36 PM (#8837)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Response to a post about Gen. Tibbetts and the Enola Gay

On several occasions on this board I have said that I know the importance of the mission that (then Colonel) Tibbetts flew on August 6th, 1945. I know that this saved many American service men's lives - maybe even the life of my brother.

But, to joke about the slaughter of children (even though that killing was necessary) is tacky and in very poor taste (does that remind you of anyone?).

There are people on the board, that once they get an idea into their heads, absolutely refuse to let go of that idea, even in the face of facts. I wonder why that is.

That must make life miserable for them, but maybe they need to hang onto their anger for whatever reason. That's so sad.

Cora

Edited by Corabelle 2007-11-02 1:38 PM
JrKrup, Skimmer
Posted 2007-11-02 2:46 PM (#8840 - in reply to #8837)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Response to a post about Gen. Tibbetts and the Enola Gay

Better Japanese children, than American children. That would have been me, my sister and my brother that would have had to bow to the emporer of Japan, or had our heads cut off by some bushido idiot with a samurai sword. Thank you General Tibbetts, for allowing me and everyone else to joke about it - even if it may be in poor taste. Thank you General Tibbetts on behalf of all the soldiers, sailors, airmen, marines and civilians on the Bataan death march. Thank you General Tibbetts, on behalf of the sailors aboard the Arizona. Thank you General Tibbetts so we can joke about it today, 62 years later.
SOB490
Posted 2007-11-02 4:41 PM (#8845 - in reply to #8840)

Old Salt

As General Herkimer Q. Lipschitz once said, "War is hell!"

SEAL Soupy Campbell said "Kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out."

By the way - without Googling "Enola Gay," who can tell us where that name came from? I already know the answer because I heard Col Tibbetts himself explain it when he visited St. Thomas Aquinas in Chicago in company of Col Fred Ascani whose parents were our neighbors down in the 5th Ward. That's 79th and Exchange for you native sons of the Hog Butcher to the World.

Once you know the origin of the name Col Tibbets selected, it makes the whole discussion more appropriate doesn't it?
Corabelle
Posted 2007-11-02 4:47 PM (#8846 - in reply to #8845)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Enola Gay was his mother's name.

All of us of WWII vintage know that.

Cora
RCK
Posted 2007-11-02 5:53 PM (#8848 - in reply to #8845)
Master and Commander

He named the plane after his mother.
SOB490
Posted 2007-11-02 11:31 PM (#8865 - in reply to #8848)

Old Salt

Check it out a bit closer - unless my memory is slipping, it was his Mother in Law!

In any event, he told us she was highly honored by the gesture - which was my point.

Edited by SOB490 2007-11-02 11:32 PM
Doc Gardner
Posted 2007-11-03 2:22 AM (#8866 - in reply to #8865)

Master and Commander

SOB490 - 2007-11-03 12:31 AM

Check it out a bit closer - unless my memory is slipping, it was his Mother in Law!

In any event, he told us she was highly honored by the gesture - which was my point.

It was named after Enola Gay Tibbets, the mother of the pilot, Paul Tibbets.

Had to go out to Google to verify what I believed to be true.

SOB490
Posted 2007-11-03 2:19 PM (#8897 - in reply to #8866)

Old Salt

OK, Doc - that shoots a 60+ year old recollection smack in the fanny! Mother it is and forevermore shall be! Now, if I can keep that fact straight for another 60 years, everything will be fine.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software