Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The first periscope used by the United States Navy was not built for a submarine. The ironclad monitor OSAGE utilized a periscope to discover a Confederate cavalry unit taking cover behind the high banks of the Red River in Arkansas.
It feels like Christmas around here!
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Corabelle
Posted 2007-11-03 2:22 PM (#8898)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: It feels like Christmas around here!

First John Clear's CD of the Sterlet's Official War Patrol Recods came on Thursday, and today I got John Fulton's book, "In the Spirit of Crazy Horse." I will get to it just as soon as I finish Ken Henry's "Gallant Lady." I'm almost done. An interesting thing about Gallant Lady. It was not in our Public Library, so they bought it just for me. I was a little slow reading it, so had to renew it yesterday. Should be finished in a couple days.

I'm not certain what is in In the Spirit of Crazy Horse, but I have a personal connection to the Indian Uprising in 1975. The two FBI Agents were murdered on the Pine Ridge Reservation on June 26, 1975, and our mother died 15 minutes after midnight on June 27th. Our older brother and sister, my husband & I were at the hospital with our mother, and after her death, my husband and I stopped at the South Dakota State Radio office to tell Elmer of her death. At that time, there was a lot of activity there, because (Elmer's words), "It was an execution." regarding the deaths of the FBI agents.

Don't you wish you lived out here, Ralph Luther?

Anyway, thanks again John and John.

Cora

Ralph Luther
Posted 2007-11-05 1:05 PM (#8953 - in reply to #8898)
COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: It feels like Christmas around here!

Truthfully, I thought you were going to say it was snowing. Not far off though. Better get out there and sharpen the blade on that shovel..
Must admit, S. Dakota is a great place to visit. You can stand on a high ridge, spin around 360 degrees and you've seen it all. Doesn't take but a minute or two and then you can move on to the next State.

Edited by Ralph Luther 2007-11-05 1:05 PM
steamboat
Posted 2007-11-05 7:53 PM (#8967 - in reply to #8953)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: It feels like Christmas around here!

Funny that a lot of people have little appreciation for prairies. There is an area in the Upper Penninsula of Michigan called the Kingston Plains that were burned so hot after logging white pines after the turn of the century that the topsoil burned off and no trees will grow now. The area is now grassland that is very unique for the area. It has been one of my favorite places on earth for a long time (and I have been in 49 stetes). I took an old Michigan friend ( a troll) there this summer and his first impression was that it was a desert. Then i showed him the unique bird life, the glacial potholes and the beauty of the open nature of the land and he gradually changed his mind. The thing about prairies is that often you have to look down instead of up to fully apprecaite them.
Steamboat sends
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software