Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The USS SEAWOLF join the Electric Boat built USS NAUTILUS and SKATE in writing new chapters in the achievements of man when the nuclear powered submarine came to the surface at 11:45 a.m. on October 6, 1958 after being continuously submerged for 60 days.
How many of us are pilots?
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Flapper
Posted 2007-11-03 4:46 PM (#8910)

Master and Commander

Subject: How many of us are pilots?

I've been meaning to put this question up for some time; I know there are more than a couple of us who went on to learn to fly and at least get lessons, if not go on to get our Private Pilot's License.
I started lessons in 1998, soloed 4 months later, and got my ticket a year and a half after that. I learned flying the Piper Tomahawk (they said at the FOB where I took lessons "Learn on the Tomahawk; if you can fly that well, anything else is a piece of cake!" All that was out of WVI - Watsonville, CA.
Since then I've also gotten signed off for Piper Warrior, Cessna 172, and the
Diamond DA20 Eclipse.

So who else out there flies (or did once)?
Skii
Posted 2007-11-03 5:08 PM (#8911 - in reply to #8910)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: How many of us are pilots?

Went there did that --- 172 Cessna - with Lyoming conveson (very fast) and didn't ever want
to stall --- just sold the old girl in September --- was great being able to go up farther than
I went down.

Ski
Tucson
Skii
Posted 2007-11-03 5:09 PM (#8913 - in reply to #8910)

Great Sage of the Sea

oops fingers not working Lycoming conversion sorry about that.
Jim M.
Posted 2007-11-03 5:29 PM (#8915 - in reply to #8910)

Great Sage of the Sea

Flapper - 2007-11-03 4:46 PM

So who else out there flies (or did once)?

I help crew a JU-52 and C-47 whenever they come east..does that count? Also have flown in a Val (Tora Tora Tora) dive bomber and in a UH-1H during an air assault...
Corabelle
Posted 2007-11-03 5:50 PM (#8918 - in reply to #8910)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: I know that you said, "are," as in present tense, but

just about the first thing Elmer did after he was discharged, was to learn to fly. I don't know much about airplanes, but I think he learned on a Piper Cub. I never flew with him, but our younger sister did.

He never owned a plane, so consequently didn't get a whole bunce of hours, but he could say that he had a Pilot's License. I wonder if his daughter ever found it amont his things. He wasn't the most organzed person in the world.

Cora
Corabelle
Posted 2007-11-03 5:50 PM (#8919 - in reply to #8910)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: I know that you said, "are," as in present tense, but

just about the first thing Elmer did after he was discharged, was to learn to fly. I don't know much about airplanes, but I think he learned on a Piper Cub. I never flew with him, but our younger sister did.

He never owned a plane, so consequently didn't get a whole bunch of hours, but he could say that he had a Pilot's License. I wonder if his daughter ever found it among his things. He wasn't the most organzed person in the world.

Cora

Edited by Corabelle 2007-11-03 5:51 PM
PaulR
Posted 2007-11-04 5:14 AM (#8928 - in reply to #8910)

Master and Commander

I started lessons in January 1991 at Stormville Airport nearby. I continued taking lessons at the Dutchess County (Poughkeepsie, NY) airport when the Stormville Flight School closed and earned my private license over the Labor Day weekend in 1991. I think I had about 60 hours at that point. We trained on Cessna 150, 152 and 172.

I found that I did not really enjoy flying as much as I expected since almost of what I was doing was renting planes and flying solo. I almost joined a flying club but that was too expensive for me at that time.

I made the mistake of buying a boat and quickly found out that I could only afford one expensive hobby. The family enjoyed the boat, and still does. I have not flown since 1994. It was something I always wanted to do.
Warshot
Posted 2007-11-04 7:23 AM (#8933 - in reply to #8910)
WWII Sub Vet

Yes, in 1941/42. I thought if I had a license the Navy would have to make me a pilot. IN A PIGS EAR.

Trained on an open cockpit (I think it was a Stearman) then into an Aeronca Aircoup. She was a thing of beauty with no windnoise and a steering wheel instead of a Joy Stick. Just got my solo in when I joined the Navy. THey weren't interested in my story.

Warshot
Rambo
Posted 2007-11-04 8:13 AM (#8936 - in reply to #8910)

Mess cooking

Usedtowas. First solo when I was 18 in an Aeornca Champ and then went into the Navy. Didn’t get my Private License until about six years later. Made my long cross country and did my check ride in my own J-3 Cub (I bought it for $2800 back then) and put most of my hours in driving a Cessna 180. Taildraggers were the diesel boats of the aviation world at that time. Come to think of it, they still have some advantages.

bo

USS Barbel (SS-580)
Don Gentry
Posted 2007-11-05 11:25 AM (#8949 - in reply to #8910)

Admin

Took lessons in Charleston just before separating. If I would have started earlier, I would have finished.... but got out and family needs superceded that "hobby" - so I didn't finish. I did get to fly a glider a few years back (b'day present) and I got a ride in a Stearman about two years ago (photo link below).

Attachments
----------------
Attachments dontomstearman[1].jpeg (31KB - 930 downloads)
Flapper
Posted 2007-11-05 2:05 PM (#8955 - in reply to #8915)

Master and Commander

Yeah, that counts, Jim.
Flapper
Posted 2007-11-05 2:10 PM (#8956 - in reply to #8933)

Master and Commander

Warshot - 2007-11-03 7:23 PM

Yes, in 1941/42. I thought if I had a license the Navy would have to make me a pilot. IN A PIGS EAR.

Trained on an open cockpit (I think it was a Stearman) then into an Aeronca Aircoup. She was a thing of beauty with no windnoise and a steering wheel instead of a Joy Stick. Just got my solo in when I joined the Navy. THey weren't interested in my story.

Warshot

I know the Ercoups - nice planes and way ahead of their time. There were 1 or 2 at Watsonville when I flew out of there.

Edited by Flapper 2007-11-05 2:10 PM
RCK
Posted 2007-11-05 2:40 PM (#8960 - in reply to #8910)
Master and Commander

Cessna 152, 172, 337, 310, 421, Citabra, Piper Commanche and a few others I,ve forgotten. No warbirds though cause of the cost factor
Doc Beeghly
Posted 2007-11-06 7:40 PM (#8998 - in reply to #8910)
Crew

while stationed in Naples Italy for a tour of shore duty I gotmy air crew wings and flew air-sea rescue for a couple of years (not as pilot, but corpsman) then I joined an airforce flying club in Charlston while Giving away the Chivo and "T"fish, got my private there and got my comercial in Norfolk under the G.I. Bill. never owned a plane of my own, always rented. flew occasionally after retirement in Texas and it got expensive seeing the same country over and over. and I havent renewed my medical certificate for several years.
The Beagle doc
Jim M.
Posted 2007-11-07 5:21 AM (#9002 - in reply to #8955)

Great Sage of the Sea

Flapper - 2007-11-05 2:05 PM

Yeah, that counts, Jim.

Plus I've got a half an hour stick time on an SNJ-6 and came within a hairs-breadth of flying in the same B-17 my father flew in 1954..
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software