Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "Without courage, you might as well not be in it. You’ve got to have courage--moral courage, physical courage--and honor. Honor means telling the truth even when it might not be to your advantage" Retired Capt. Charles W. Rush Jr. (85), Navy Cross recipient, when asked to give advice to Chiefs and Junior Officers in today's submarine service.
57 years ago
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Runner485
Posted 2020-11-22 5:53 AM (#99718)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: 57 years ago

President John F Kennedy was assassinated in Dallas, Tx. We, Sirago, were sitting outboard a Destroyer in Karachi Pakistan, the garden spot of the middle east...November 22 1963. I was very young then and while we huddled in control room the next morning, we thought we were going to war, because we were certain the Russians had something to do with it. Very glad nothing came of that...A sad time for America.

steamboat
Posted 2020-11-22 6:58 AM (#99719 - in reply to #99718)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: 57 years ago

I was on Atule, in Norfolk Navy Shipyard drydock. Little we could do if Russia was involved.

Steamboat sends
Ric
Posted 2020-11-22 8:12 AM (#99720 - in reply to #99718)

Plankowner

Being the "kid" here I was in High School and in my Senior year. I was between 3rd and 4th Period classes. My 4th period class was a split class (we had 1/2 the class, went to lunch and then the second half. The lunch area was not big enough for all the school to any longer eat at the same time). I was at my locker swapping out books when my locker partner, a nice kid but kind of loudmouth came up me and asked if I'd heard that Kennedy had been shot in the head. I told him to shut up and walked off. THEN I started to hear the murmur in the hall about this. I got into the classroom and one of the three teachers that taught the class was there walking back and forth looking very upset. The bell rang and he told us to pipedown and we did. He then said words to the effect that said the latest report was the President had been wounded in Texas and at that point the other teachers came in and told us the President of the United States was dead. and to give a minute of silence. We were then dismissed and told to proceed to 5th grade class at the time required. I ran into my locker partner and a group of us went to his house 1/2 a block away and watched TV. The last two classes were basic flops, just keeping us at school. That weekend TV was all just rehashing any news on all networks (3 and two local stations). I still get goose bumps when I remember hearing those words
Tom McNulty
Posted 2020-11-22 8:20 AM (#99721 - in reply to #99718)

Master and Commander

I was in DamNeck attending MT"A" school.
PaulR
Posted 2020-11-22 4:22 PM (#99726 - in reply to #99721)

Master and Commander

I had just left Dam Neck SINS school due to academic drop.  I was on leave and reported to USS SEA ROBIN the following day.
Holland Club
Posted 2020-11-22 7:26 PM (#99728 - in reply to #99718)

Master and Commander

Was employed at the power plant as a grunt. Was at work when it happened. Took a phone call on the panel of 17 boiler and got the news. Late that evening at home saw Ruby shoot Oswald on live TV.
Doc Gardner
Posted 2020-11-23 6:17 AM (#99729 - in reply to #99718)

Master and Commander

I was at Anacostia Naval Air Station in Washington D.C. waiting for Skipjack to return from the Med. All the barracks at New London were full with students, so no room at the Inn. When the word came down the place was locked down and we were all told to prepare for funeral duty.
geno
Posted 2020-11-23 6:45 AM (#99730 - in reply to #99718)
Old Salt

Sorry Ric, I'm the "kid" here. I was nine. We were in Turkey. My father was stationed in Karamusel at the Air Force Base. He worked in some kind of intelligence. The movers were packing up our household goods for shipment to Kadena AFB, Okinawa. We had no phone since all of our services had been turned off. The TSgt next door had heard the news and came over to tell my dad what had happened and maybe he should call HQ for any last minute orders. I knew very little about the President but was a little grumpy about leaving Turkey. After three years I'd be losing a lot of friends and have to start over in Okinawa.
Gil
Posted 2020-11-24 8:56 AM (#99733 - in reply to #99718)
Master and Commander

That was the most stunning non personal event in my life.  I was working after school as a sweeper and the gorgeous blond secretary walked in from the office to tell us low end grunts.  As she told us the sun was behind her and the silhouette of her body was outlined inside her dress.  Besides that exhibition JFK's assassination had more impact on me than even 9-11.

Second in my under twenty one life was going to sleep on the west coast the night before the showdown of the Cuban Missile crisis and waking up the next morning without nuclear bombings.

Edited by Gil 2020-11-24 8:58 AM
Coyote
Posted 2020-11-27 6:25 AM (#99750 - in reply to #99718)

Great Sage of the Sea

New construction Woodrow Wilson at Mare Island, sitting in Sonar. RM came across from radio and asked me who the President is. I answered Kennedy, he said Not Anymore. I've always considered that the worst way to convey a message.

Coyote
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software