Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "They weren't just hull numbers, they were our home addresses. Now the old neighborhood is torn down and gone and all that is left are memories." -- Dick Murphy, USS Tiru SS 416
Steamboat
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Corabelle
Posted 2007-11-05 9:18 PM (#8969)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Steamboat

Ralph knows that I don't live on the prairie. I'm about as close to the Black Hills as you can get without living in the middle of the forest.

Now the eastern part of South Dakota is prairie. That's farming country. We have ranches on this side of the Missouri. I've invited him out here to break a couple mustangs. He's avoided that invitation.

He's just trying to give me a bad time. Also, he's just jealous because he doesn't live here.

And that's the truth!!

Cora

Ralph Luther
Posted 2007-11-06 7:09 AM (#8977 - in reply to #8969)
COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Steamboat

If an ocean extended that far inland I would be there in a New York Minute. Prairie dust just doesn't do it for me.
What's the deal with the subject line "Steamboat"? Are you fantasizing about John Fulton/Steamboat again? I told you he lives in Virginia and would let you ride his horses anytime if you dropped by.
Corabelle
Posted 2007-11-06 9:18 AM (#8981 - in reply to #8977)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Steamboat - Ralph

Ya gotta go back to the "It feels Like Christmas Around here"

I dunno - should I be fantsizing about Steamboat?

I only ride horses every 23 years. Well, I used to - I rode that next-to-last one when I was 46. I figure that if anything is bigger than me, and wants to go some place I don't, and if I'm on his/her back (watch it, now), they can go wherever they want to. Yee, ha!

Cora

Here's to beautiful horses:
steamboat
Posted 2007-11-06 3:24 PM (#8992 - in reply to #8981)
Master and Commander

Cora, Steamboat ain't nothin to fanticise about. Wemmin ain't looked my way in many a year, if ever. Rode hard and put up wet just about sums up my condition. Notice I don't post a picture of my ugly mug.
'sides, who is Ralph to call anyone a "flatlander", seenin as he lives in the flatest, swampiest state in the entire Confederate States of America. SC hasn't had a shinning moment in history since they had the good sence to seceed from the Union in 1861. He is a good old dog, though, I gotta admit.
Steamboat sends
Don Gentry
Posted 2007-11-06 3:36 PM (#8995 - in reply to #8992)

Admin

Well, alrighty then.... let me just fix that photo problem for you John:

Steamboat in the flesh.... horse flesh that is....

(SteamboatOnHorseback[1].jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments SteamboatOnHorseback[1].jpg (75KB - 1007 downloads)
Corabelle
Posted 2007-11-06 5:41 PM (#8997 - in reply to #8995)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Looks like one of my relatives -

- Robert E. Lee. My grandmother, Rebecca (my middle name) Lavonia Lee, always claimed that she was somehow related to General Lee. Those of us that do genealogy, have not been able to find that connection, though.

Steamboat - have you ever heard the expression, "Galvanized Yankees"? My southern grandfather was one. I have his personal diary, parts of which, were copied (by whom - maybe Dee Brown of "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee" fame, who wrote the book, "Galvanized Yankees"?) word-for-word from the hand-written diary that I have in my possession.

I'll tell you more, if you're interested. I started writing a book, using this diary. I called it, "The Last Gentlemen's War."

I do have to ask a personal question. You married, John? Before I waste any time fantasizing, I need the asnswer to that question.

Cora
steamboat
Posted 2007-11-07 8:42 AM (#9007 - in reply to #8969)
Master and Commander

Oh, Cora, I only been hitched 40 odd years, a veritable newlywed in my church. Fact is 'cept for my Navy time, I can't remember being single. Believe me, after being in so many battles fightin' off the invading Yankee Nation and livin' on hardtack and crick water, that this old hide ain't nothin to make anyone proud!
Steamboat sends
Corabelle
Posted 2007-11-07 9:38 AM (#9008 - in reply to #9007)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Sigh!

Okay -upward and onward.

Shortly after I bacame a widow (hate that word!), I belonged to a widow/widowers group. The women's motto: "All the good men are either married or buried."

Now - about those Galvanized Yankees. Ever heard of them?

Did you get an e-mail from me?

Cora
Jim M.
Posted 2007-11-07 10:25 AM (#9009 - in reply to #9007)

Great Sage of the Sea

steamboat - 2007-11-07 8:42 AM

......after being in so many battles fightin' off the invading Yankee Nation and livin' on hardtack and crick water, that this old hide ain't nothin to make anyone proud!
Steamboat sends

I'm not gonna touch that one.. heh heh heh..

UNION FOREVER!
RCK
Posted 2007-11-07 12:54 PM (#9010 - in reply to #8969)
Master and Commander

Now don't go gettin a swelled head just because she wanted to know if you were married. she was just tryin to figger out a way to get her hands on the HORSE!!!
steamboat
Posted 2007-11-07 1:43 PM (#9011 - in reply to #9008)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Sigh!

Galvanized yankees were Confederate POW's that were given the opertunity to change sides or go to prison. Needless to say they were now looked on with much favor when they returned home.
We use the term in present day for reenacting groups that are willing to swap sides to help even out the numbers at an event. I tried it one time and my horse stepped on my foot and layed me up for a week. I promised her (my mare) that I would not do that to her again.
Steamboat sends
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software