Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The late Capt. Don Ulmer, USN SS (Ret.), and noted submarine author, began his military career by enlisting in the U.S. Navy in 1947 and in 1949 while serving as an electrical technician E-4 aboard the submarine USS Clamagore, he was transferred to the Naval Academy. When he asked his commanding officer why he was being sent to Annapolis, the skipper replied, "I don't think you're smart enough to make E-5 and I need the bunk space." Ulmer graduated in 1954 and in 1967 returned to command Clamagore, possibly the only officer to command a U.S. warship having served on it as an enlisted man.
USS Tambor (SS198) and USS Sand Lance (SS381)
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

snakeyez
Posted 2007-11-06 7:15 AM (#8978)

Senior Crew

Subject: USS Tambor (SS198) and USS Sand Lance (SS381)

I'm new here, branching out from Rontini's BBS. Some of you therefore know me already so watch out! I'm full of questions, though not as full as yesterday.

My grandfather, Shelton Doyle Blalock, EM3/C, commissioned the USS Sand Lance (SS-381) and served on the USS Tambor (SS-198) for her 11th and 12th (final) war patrols, training, and then decommissioning. He passed away in 1997 without me ever taking a serious interest in his submarine history, sadly. After the passing of my grandmother in May of this year, I discovered so much submarine history in their home that I just had to "get into" diesel submarines. I've learned a LOT since May of this year needless to say. Every single tidbit of my grandfather's Navy career I've learned about has been through papers and photos I've found, books I've read, and the great help of people like you over the web. I also found an old VHS tape...

I've converted the VHS tape of my papaw talking of his time aboard submarines in WW2 and posted those digital conversions on YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/snakeyez77. Note there are 6 parts that total around 45 minutes.

I'm in search of anything I can learn about the shakedown cruise of the Sand Lance and the last two war patrols of the Tambor on through her decommissioning. I have a LOT of information to share through the web, but I cannot post the URL of that information publicly because I do not wish for just anyone to be able to find this stuff through a search engine just yet. If you want to see all the stuff I've put together, send me a PM and I'll send you the address. If you know anyone who served on the Tambor or Sand Lance, let's talk.

Submarines, especially the older ones, are fascinating!
crystal
Posted 2007-11-06 8:27 AM (#8980 - in reply to #8978)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: USS Tambor (SS198) and USS Sand Lance (SS381)

Hey Lance (Cobra Pupils), I figured that you'd get over to the "friendly board" eventually.  We have skirmishs here now and again but the board is run by a VERY congenial guy (even though he's a biker - good weather), who is also a personal friend to many of us. Welcome!

First question: Do you have the war patrol copies you need? If not, send me an email or PM (which I never seem to notice) and we can work out a trade or such.  Those two boats alone have 17 war patrols combined - quite a record...

Next question: Did you convert your VHS to a DVD?  If not ditto (above) in this case I'd do it for (only) a personal copy.

As to research and reference questions, this is the right place - there are quite a few of us "know it alls" around here!  LOL   Welcome! 

Don Gentry
Posted 2007-11-06 10:18 AM (#8982 - in reply to #8978)

Admin

Welcome aboard Lance! Contrary to John's assessment, I do ride year round but confess to avoiding the rain as much as possible

I'm anxious to set aside some time to watch your videos!
Don Gentry
Posted 2007-11-06 10:22 AM (#8984 - in reply to #8982)

Admin

Also Lance, I'd welcome you to go to this page and enter your granddad's data and boat service as a matter of record. There's a checkbox for "Eternal Patrol" - be sure to check that, and there's another checkbox that will keep the email link active - check this if you use your own email address in his record and desire to receive email on his behalf. Your choice... just letting you know about the database.
Ralph Luther
Posted 2007-11-06 11:06 AM (#8985 - in reply to #8978)
COMSUBBBS

Welcome aboard, Lance. It's always good to get information on the DB's.
snakeyez
Posted 2007-11-06 12:18 PM (#8987 - in reply to #8980)

Senior Crew

crystal - 2007-11-06 10:27 AM

First question: Do you have the war patrol copies you need? If not, send me an email or PM (which I never seem to notice) and we can work out a trade or such. Those two boats alone have 17 war patrols combined - quite a record...

Not yet John, I'm planning on ordering from you soon. I'll be looking for the first patrol report of the Sand Lance and the 11th and 12th patrols of the Tambor. I'd love to find anything I could about the journey of the Sand Lance from the east coast to the west at commissioning, as well as anything about the Tambor post-final patrol on through the decommission ride to the east coast, but I have no idea where I could ever find stuff like that.

crystal - 2007-11-06 10:27 AM

Next question: Did you convert your VHS to a DVD? If not ditto (above) in this case I'd do it for (only) a personal copy.

Well, that's how I had to convert the VHS to digital (sadly). I have a VCD/DVD recorder combo machine. I copied the VHS straight to DVD. Then I ripped the DVD to my computer and did what little editing I could do.

Thanks for your help thus far, I am amazed and saddened at the great loss of stories WW2 submariners have due to passing of time.
Jim M.
Posted 2007-11-06 12:26 PM (#8988 - in reply to #8978)

Great Sage of the Sea

snakeyez - 2007-11-06 7:15 AM

I'm in search of anything I can learn about the shakedown cruise of the Sand Lance and the last two war patrols of the Tambor on through her decommissioning. I have a LOT of information to share through the web, but I cannot post the URL of that information publicly because I do not wish for just anyone to be able to find this stuff through a search engine just yet. If you want to see all the stuff I've put together, send me a PM and I'll send you the address. If you know anyone who served on the Tambor or Sand Lance, let's talk....

Submarines, especially the older ones, are fascinating!

Lance, any of the deck logs, muster rolls etc. would be on file at the National Archives in College Park, MD. Textual records would be on the second floor, with photos, etc. on the 5th floor. The problem is that if you live far away from there, it'll cost you an arm and three legs to get things reproduced there. A research trip there might be on order. Contact me via PM if you want and I'll be glad to help out.
snakeyez
Posted 2007-11-06 12:34 PM (#8989 - in reply to #8984)

Senior Crew

Don Gentry - 2007-11-06 12:22 PM

Also Lance, I'd welcome you to go to this page and enter your granddad's data and boat service as a matter of record. There's a checkbox for "Eternal Patrol" - be sure to check that, and there's another checkbox that will keep the email link active - check this if you use your own email address in his record and desire to receive email on his behalf. Your choice... just letting you know about the database.

Done! Thanks for the pointer.
Ric
Posted 2007-11-06 1:56 PM (#8990 - in reply to #8978)

Plankowner

Hi Lance, I haven't forgotten you. Just been buried in the new PigBoats.COM page and now trying to tidy up that thing. I will get to your stuff soon. Send me the link you were talking about.

Ric
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software