Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Modern nuclear submarines can travel faster submerged than they can on the surface. They can fully submerge in less than a minute.
Flashback
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

RCK
Posted 2007-11-06 8:00 PM (#8999)
Master and Commander

Subject: Flashback

I turned on the tube and came upon a movie called "The City Of Ghosts". A young Asian female's voice was singing "Clouds". The voice brought me back in time. I had a mental image of walking down a crowded street in Yokosuka. I had alot of yen in my pocket,360 yen to the dollar, and I was carrying a bottle of Cutty Sark. As I walked down the narrow street which name did not appear in my vision, I was headed to the Acorn Bar, my favorite hangout during the 8 months I was there. I passed many bars and shops as I walked along. The first one was on my left just as I entered the main street from the bottle exchange. Some sweeties were trying to lure me in the bar. I knew alot of the boat sailors were there but I didn't like being husseled so I kept going.Further down the street was the Candy bar. Candy was an attractive entrepeneur who owned the bar and knew men. I have talked with her many times and enjoyed her as a good business woman with a no bulls**t attitude. On the right was a place that was framed in blue lights that was called the "Blue Moon". It was a nice clean bar with a good atmosphere and as it turned out one of three bars that I considered quite and peaceful. The others were the "Candy Bar and "The Acorn Bar" Strangely enough "The Blue Moon" and The "Candy Bar" were the two bars where I got into a fight while on liberty. I had been in plenty of fights while I was in Yoko, but that was in Hanodi Cho not Yoko and I was the Shore Patrol in all the other instances. The "Acorn " was a cozy place where the Gudgeon crew hung out. Mike ran the place with his wife Mitchico. Both were really nice people and I have spent alot of good times talking with them. They even invited a group of Gudgeon sailors over to their home for an informal dinner and pleasant conversation. I love the ambiance of the bar and the fact that my sweetie, Chicako, worked there. They helped arrange a really great ships party for the whole crew. True, they were business people, but they made us feel at home. We could order food to go along with our drinks and would bring it in from the local restaurants. Sure it kept us in the bar to spend money but we never felt used. One of my favorite dishes was "Fried Rice with an egg on top". Really delicious. I met a former guard who helped herd prisoners on "The Battan Death March". He was trying to talk me into leting him tie me up so I couldn't get loose. Of course I refused and Mitchico exploded telling him to leave the bar and never come back. The bars in Yoko usually closed around one in the morning and we would hop a cab and go to the suburbs to continue the party. Candy from the Candy bar took three of us out to an after hours party in the suburbs where we spent the whole night. I recall one night I was in an after hours bar. I had to wait until 0700hrs to get back on the base for morning muster......and immediate liberty call..... because the main gate was closed. Around 0530 I decide to find a cab and head back. No cabs were running until 0600 so I went to the cab garage and talked them into letting me snooze in the back of one of the vehicles until the driver showed up. As I was resting, I heard a far off sound of a motor cycle approaching. The sound became louder and louder. It seemed to me that the bike was really hauling ass. As the cycle was passing me I heard a thump followed by silence. I got out of the cab and walked up the road where I found the bike. It had hit a pole that marked a divide in the road, but no rider. I climbed over a fence and walked down a grass island. I found the rider,a middle aged Japanese civilian crumpled up on the grass. He was awake and drunk. I went for help back at the cab garage and they called a ambulance. I always hoped the poor guy did all right. We really enjoyed the time that was spent in Japan. We had seashore picnics with the local and some of the guys orchestrated a sing along with the locals on a train ride to Tokyo. I wouldn't have traded my time there for anything in the world. These were just a few things we did while in Yoko. I had alot more adventures but those stand out in my memory. I wonder what it is like there now. I wonder if I could find any of my old hunts if I ever traveled back to the "Land Of The Rising Sun".
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software