Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Robert Fulton, inventor of the steamboat, was an avid submarine enthusiast. He built several submersible warships, one of which was known as the Nautilus.
Veterans Day - a tribute
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

snakeyez
Posted 2007-11-07 7:31 AM (#9005)

Senior Crew

Subject: Veterans Day - a tribute

Veterans Day is this Sunday. Please watch and listen to this two minute video I found on YouTube set to "Eternal Father, Strong to Save" (I love that hymn):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB25pp9HaDc

I am not a veteran myself, but I have many family members who are/were. My father was in the Air National Guard for a short time. My uncle was in the Coast Guard during Vietnam.

My paternal grandfather was a Sergeant in the Army Air Force as an Airplane Armorer near the Panama Canal prior to and throughout WW2. My maternal grandfather was an EM3 in the submarine Navy in WW2. My wife's paternal grandfather was in the Army Air Force throughout WW2. Her great uncle, James McLaurin Harrison, lost his life aboard the USS Indianapolis on that fateful day in July of 1945. We will be placing flags upon all four of these veterans' graves this Sunday afternoon, as well as some others who are no longer with us.

My grandfather (the submariner) used to get upset (not publicly) on Memorial Day and Veterans Day due to a lack of acknowledgment of the importance of the day. I learn more and more each day of why he had those feelings.

I thank you submarine veterans, as well as all veterans past and present and future, for doing what you have done and what you will do. I hope you have a peaceful and fulfilling Veterans Day on Sunday.

In memory of Shelton Doyle Blalock, EM3/C

Edited by snakeyez 2007-11-07 7:08 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software