Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: United States Submarines destroyed a total of 1,314 Japanese ships during World War II, including one battleship, eight aircraft carriers, fifteen cruisers, forty-two destroyers, and twenty-three submarines. Against this score, fifty-two U.S. Submarines were lost.
Make a List of the Ten Best Things You've Ever Done
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

dex armstrong
Posted 2007-11-10 8:53 AM (#9091)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Make a List of the Ten Best Things You've Ever Done

Bob Melley came up with that. What a helluva concept....the rapscallion oughtta patent the idea. Don't just pass over that idea...take time and think about it. The more you think about it and what replicating the experiences would be like...the more wisdom you find in this Melley Principal....I wish the sonuvabitch had never come up with the idea...All morning I've been going around with a bloody notepad. I wonder if I could get Peggy McLean to hang her panties over the rear view mirror for some DNA exchange? Naw...at our 50th Reunion she was the size of a Santa Fe diesel and must have tipped the Toledo at the weight of a tank turret....with a bust the size of the Goodyear blimp. It would be an amazing feat, if you could fold her present day bloomers and poke em in the glove compartment with Louisville Slugger. Then too....they don't let old coots get in the Soap Box Derby....I sure could use another chance...Maybe the next time in the finals I wouldn't drop a wheel in a curbside gutter grate halfway down McCallie Boulevard hill and tear hell out of my front axel. Maybe, in this magic Melley concept you'd get "do-overs"...If so, I would get hit in the head in a rock fight with Gus Wood...I wouldn't fall off the garage roof...Me N' Sammy Northington wouldn't turn three hampsters loose in the Rialto Theater durning the film THE THING....But, getting through Sub School and qualifying and riding the old smoke boats would be right up there at the top of my list. Try it....wonderful idea. Thanks Bob....DEX
Blue from West Oz
Posted 2007-11-10 9:04 PM (#9101 - in reply to #9091)

Master and Commander

Subject: Blue's Ten Best Things I've Ever Done ( or been involved in )

1. Moving to Australia in 1973, regardless of the circumstances . ( Mum dying in 1972 )
2. Joined the R.A.N. in 1979
3. Volunteered for Submarines in 1980, qualifying that year.
4. Highlight of my 20 year career, the USA/CANADA Deployment of 1985
5. Finding my Dad after a 20 year absence in 1988
6. Getting married in 1992 ( seperated 2003, divorced 2005 but they don't make the list )
7. My son Daniel's birth in 1995
8. My Daughter Pamela's birth in 1997
9. Completing 20 years Service in the R.A.N.
10. Being someone who I hope my Mum would be proud of regardless of my (many) mistakes and faults.
11. Travelling the USA in 2004 and meeting so many wonderful people.

Blue *_*

Don Gentry
Posted 2007-11-11 7:07 AM (#9108 - in reply to #9101)

Admin

Subject: RE: Blue's Ten Best Things I've Ever Done ( or been involved in )

Blue,

I'd move #10 up to the #1 slot as I think all the others fall into place after that.

Cheers!
Bob Melley
Posted 2007-11-13 9:39 AM (#9165 - in reply to #9091)
Old Salt

Subject: RE: Make a List of the Ten Best Things You've Ever Done

Dex:
I'm still stuck on number five.....was bragging to the "War Dept," my frau, that I'd use the 41 years we've been married as that one, she replied, "......the best 23 years of her life." I really screwed up the count.....Now, I'm back to my former lady friend in Honolulu, she was number three and four.....
best regards,
bob melley
Tincanman
PEP
Posted 2007-11-13 10:46 AM (#9168 - in reply to #9091)

Senior Crew

Subject: RE: Make a List of the Ten Best Things You've Ever Done

I think thats a pretty tough order really.
1) qualified in Submarines 1970
2) played Santa Claus for the Dolphins Wives club in Pearl 2 yrs I think I remember
3) continued to do the Santa thing at 3 orphanage's after I got out in 77
4) had a son in 75, divorced in 77 and now he will retire from the Navy in a little over 6yrs.
5) worked on a new product called the "fishermans 3rd Hand" sold 7000 units nation wide but never really took off
6) did a simular thing with a product for the Quadpalegic, spent Several thousands of dollars for on hell of an education.
7) self-employeed since 81 until I got cancer in 2005
8) began a habit to do at least one thing positive everyday for someone worse off than me.
9)took care of my elderly father who was a combat medic in the Pacific Theater for his final 5 yrs.
10) Now I do what I can for my 82yr old mother on a daily basis.

What my life has taught me is to look for something good from a rather not so good a situation, take one day at a time, and to give thanks daily for the benefits that are bestoyed on me, some obvious and some not so obvious.
PEP
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software