Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "The Navy is not a job, it's not a career. It's a way of life.” -- MMCM (SS) "Grump" Barrie
For Veterans' Day
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Corabelle
Posted 2007-11-11 12:25 PM (#9119)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: For Veterans' Day

I want to share a couple excerpts from several old letters written by Dakota Slim.

"JULY 2, 1943

DEAR FOLKS,

WE HAVE BEEN GIVEN A CHANCE TO VOLUNTEER FOR SUBMARINE DUTY. I THINK THAT I WILL SIGN UP. IT IS ONE OF THE BEST BRANCHES OF THE SERVICE. THE MEN HAVE TO BE IN TOP-NOTCH CONDITION PHYSICALLY AND MENTALLY. ONLY THE BEST MEN QUALIFY. I DON'T KNOW IF I CAN MAKE IT BUT I WILL TRY ANYWAY. THE PAY IS 50 PERCENT BETTER TOO.

LOVE, ELMER"

"JULY 29, 1943

DEAR FOLKS,

WELL HERE I AM AT NEW LONDON, CONN. I ARRIVED HERE YESTERDAY AFTERNOON. I SAW MY FIRST SUBMARINES YESTERDAY.

LOVE, ELMER"

"Oct. 27, 1943

Dear Mom and Dad,

I don't remember if I told you I am studying sound now. We are learning how to detect ships or other submarines while we are submerged. It is one of the most important jobs on a sub.

Love, Elmer"

"JULY 3, 1944 (This was the day before the Sterlet left Pearl Harbor on its first war patrol.)

Dear Folks,

I got Inez's letter today along with yours. (Inez was our sister.) Tell her I'd like to see that little blue eyed blond. (The blue-eyed blond was Inez's 7 month old baby girl.)

I suppose you read about the B-29 bombers that bombed Japan? I worked on the first model before I left Seattle. (Elmer worked at Boeings before he joined the Navy.)

I am sorry I haven't been writing regular but that's the way it will be from now on. Sometimes you may get a mess of letters from me, and then you may not get any for a long time.

We had a ships party a few days ago. Everyone had lots of fun and when we got back to the ship, everybody got thrown overboard. They even threw one of the officers over.

Love, Elmer"

Perhaps no great prose, but these letters are precious to us.

Cora

John396
Posted 2007-11-12 11:31 AM (#9142 - in reply to #9119)
Old Salt

Subject: RE: For Veterans' Day

Thanks for the the post Cora. I enjoyed it. John396
Ralph Luther
Posted 2007-11-12 11:37 AM (#9145 - in reply to #9119)
COMSUBBBS

Sure don't want to invaid privacy but would like to read some more.
Thanks, Cora.
Corabelle
Posted 2007-11-12 5:46 PM (#9153 - in reply to #9145)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: One more for you, Ralph and John 396

More from Elmer on July 2, 1943:

"I WENT TO THE RIVERSIDE AMUSEMENT PARK OVER ON THE THE WEST SIDE LAST SUNDAY. IT IS THE BIGGEST AMUSEMENT PARK I HAVE EVER SEEN. I RODE ON THE ROLLER COASTER. I NEVER HAD SUCH A RIDE BEFORE IN MY LIFE. IT WOULD GO UP ABOUT 40 FEET IN THE AIR AND THEN GO ALMOST STRAIGHT DOWN. SOME OF THE CURVES ALMOST THREW ME OUT OF MY SEAT. I THINK I WILL GO BACK THERE THIS WEEK-END.

I WAS DOWN TO THE BEACH TOO LAST WEEK ALTHOUGH I DIDN'T GO SWIMMING. I JUST WENT DOWN TO LOOK OVER THE PRETTY GIRLS.

LOVE, ELMER"

This was written when he was in Radio School at the University of Chicago just before he was transferred to New London for Sub School. This is part of the same letter where he said he was going to volunteer for submarine duty. The "beach" must have been on Lake Michigan.

These letters were just given to me yesterday by Karen, Elmer's daughter. I think she has been going through all his things a little at a time. She also gave me six or seven typwritten pages titled, "RECORD OF MY TOUR OF DUTY ABOARD USS STERLET."

This entry made me suck in my breath: "FIRED 3 FISH AFT GOT 3 HITS - FIRED 4TH FISH AT OTHER SHIP AND MISSED SURFACED AND FOUND SEVERAL RAFTS FULL OF JAPS- PEPPERED A FEW."

I've always known this - but I didn't actually KNOW it. I asked him once if he had ever killed anyone during the war. His answer (pretty standard for any WWII vet), "I don't know."

You'll have to wait for the book to be finished to see any more.

Cora

Edited by Corabelle 2007-11-13 8:21 AM
Corabelle
Posted 2007-11-13 11:42 AM (#9169 - in reply to #9119)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Just for you, Ralph & John 396

Original post one post up.

Cora

Edited by Corabelle 2007-11-13 9:08 PM
Ralph Luther
Posted 2007-11-13 6:12 PM (#9173 - in reply to #9119)
COMSUBBBS

Thanks, Cora.
The package you sent arrived today.
Corabelle
Posted 2007-11-15 11:41 AM (#9224 - in reply to #9173)

COMSUBBBS

And . . . ?

Cora
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software