Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "No one has done more to prevent conflict - no one has made a greater sacrifice for the cause for Peace - than you, America's proud missile submarine family. You stand tall among our heroes of the Cold War.” -- Gen. Colin Powell
I knew that I knew something about South Carolina . . .
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Corabelle
Posted 2007-11-12 8:53 PM (#9156)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: I knew that I knew something about South Carolina . . .

Back in 1998, my husband and I joined a bus tour from Sioux Falls, South Dakota to Key West, Florida. This is a couple entries from his log that he kept during that trip. I will interject my own thoughts in parantheses:

"Monday, 01/26/98: We left Erlanger, Kentucky after another complimentary breakfast. We picked up a local guide in Lexington, Kentucky who toured us through a quarter horse farm and showed us where the registered quarter horses came from. She talked about the cost of purchasing and raising them versus what they earn winning races. These stallions have raced in the big races, such as the Kentucky Derby and made big bucks, but are now retired to stud only. If a stud can produce a live foal, he has earned $25,000.00 for his owner. This is because these horses are registered thoroughbreds. We got a close-up look at "Affirmed," one of only two living Triple Crown winners. We also met "Holy Bull," not quite as famous, but still a very valuable, money-making stud. The fencing around this farm area is wood and painted white. It really looks nice and neat. We went back into Lexington for lunch and continued on towards Asheville, North Carollina. We arrived in Asheville abaout 6:00 p.m. and stayed in another Comfort Inn.

Tuesday, 01/27/98:Today we leave at 6:45 a.m. for Savannah, Georgia. We are scheduled to arrive there in time for a "step-on-guide" to tour Savannah with us; then we will stay there overnight. When we got out of bed in Asheville, it was snowing heavily We started out in the snow, and it didn't let up. (Almost immediately we began climbing a large mountain range- I can't remember which one it was. - Cora) A half-hour into our drive we came upon a line-up of cars and trucks that were stalled--nothing was moving. We joined the line-up. At this point the snow was about 6 to 8 inches deep. We were on an up-hill pull, and a semi about three to four miles ahead of us had been unable to climb the mountain; consequently the road was blocked. (The semi had jack-knifed on the road, closing all lanes. - Cora) The Road Department responded to clear snow from the highway, and the Highway Patrol attempted to control and move traffic once enough snow was moved so as to make this possible. One officer boarded the bus and welcomed us to North Carolina. (We were actually trying to leave North Carolina via I-26 hooking up with I-25 in South Carolina. -Cora) We sat stationary on the bus for four hours before we were able to move on. This threw our schedule off so we didn't get the Savannah city tour. Soon after we started to drive again, the snow changed to rain. The windshield wipers were going most of the rest of the day. We finally arrived in Savannah about 6:00 p.m. The T.V. news tonight reported that it had snowed at the rate of five inches per hour."

All of us on the bus joked that we could have stayed in EASTERN South Dakota to see snow. We didn't have to drive south for three days to see it. I was living in Sioux Falls at that time. Farm country as versus ranch country on the western side - snuggled up against the beautiful Paha Sapa.

My husband, Victor Heinz, was a retired OTR semi-driver. He always kept a log when ever we traveled. Habit, I guess. He was totally retired when I met him.

Cora
Ralph Luther
Posted 2007-11-13 9:16 AM (#9164 - in reply to #9156)
COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: I knew that I knew something about South Carolina . . .

Ain't no snow like snow in the Carolinas. You must have meant I-95 in South Carolina. I-25 in way out yonder in Colorado. That road can be fun in the winter also. Nothing finer than being in Carolina in the morning. Hey, I bet that would make a great song.
PaulR
Posted 2007-11-13 10:11 AM (#9166 - in reply to #9164)

Master and Commander

Ralph Luther - 2007-11-13 10:16 AM

Ain't no snow like snow in the Carolinas.

BTDT...March of 2004. We were heading home from visiting my wife's relatives in Florida and stopped overnight in Dillon, SC.

We woke up to 4-5 inched of slush on the car, but it was warming up so we headed N once more. Over the next couple of hours I got a good lesson on how the SC & NC H'Way depts handle snow removal on their portions of the Interstate...they don't.

We did pass several impressive looking pieces of equipment that obviously were designed for the job, just not ready for the task. Two or three vehicles were empty, where the sand/salt was supposed to be, one was cruising the the plow UP, and another parked on the side of the road with the driver reading something. I'll postulate that he was checking out the operator's manual and leave it at that.

We just got in behind a 18 wheeler and stayed in his tracks. It wailed pretty good for a few hours.
Jim M.
Posted 2007-11-13 10:36 AM (#9167 - in reply to #9166)

Great Sage of the Sea

PaulR - 2007-11-13 10:11 AM

......Over the next couple of hours I got a good lesson on how the SC & NC H'Way depts handle snow removal on their portions of the Interstate...they don't.

reminds me of snow removal here in the People's Republic of Maryland.. and in the DC area in general. Anything over 1/8-inch of either rain/snow/slush and this region goes to hell and a handbasket real quick...

Any snow or slush accumulation over three inches, I don't drive here.. not that I don't know how to drive (growing up in Pittsburgh you learn important stuff like that) in the stuff...it's the other blighters who don't...
Ralph Luther
Posted 2007-11-13 6:21 PM (#9174 - in reply to #9156)
COMSUBBBS

It's real interesting to watch the snowbirds/Q-tips from up North on our roads with snow here in the Carolinas. Usually they are the first ones to hit the ditches.
Had a friend pay for his brand new wrecker in just one season back in '73 pulling people out of the ditches along I-95.
steamboat
Posted 2007-11-13 7:53 PM (#9176 - in reply to #9164)
Master and Commander

Ralph, we got a guy in CW reenacting from NC, a big guy with a big voice. He is about 10 years older than we are. Every event soon after sunrise, he bellers out "Nothing could be finer than to be in Caroliner in the morning...." This can be heard all over cavalry camp.If he doesn't make an event we really miss his bellering. Some things in life are really worth the living.
Steamboat sends
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software