Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: USS R-6 was fitted the first prototype US submarine snorkel at Portsmouth Naval Shipyard in the closing months of the European part of WW II in April / May 1945 and successfully tested it off Fort Lauderdale, Fl. as the war against Japan ended in August 1945. The snorkel was removed from the USS R-6 and she was decommissioned and scrapped in September 1945.
best 'at random' quote I've seen!
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Flapper
Posted 2007-11-13 4:55 PM (#9171)

Master and Commander

Subject: best 'at random' quote I've seen!

"I don't know why we have to be down here on this hold down exercise(at the 60th hour). Hell, I went through this on the Thresher (SS 200) during WW ll with a Nip Sea Going Tug hooked onto our screw guards, trying to lift our butts out of the water. They didn't get us then, and these Tin Cans (ours) ain't going to get us now." -- "Hambone" Hamilton SD1 (SS). "Hambone" made 13 war patrols on USS Remora, SS-487, uttered these words in July 1957 during a hold down exercise off Kobe Japan.

I love it!
Stoops
Posted 2007-11-13 6:21 PM (#9175 - in reply to #9171)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: best 'at random' quote I've seen!

Since you mentioned the ss-200....it reminded me of John Barnes who recently passed away.....I miss him... a true gentleman and shipmate who ignored the years between his service to our country and mine......He didn't care if you were dbf or nuke....if you wore the dolphins....

Here's to you, John! May you rest in peace....and thank you for your service!

Don Gentry
Posted 2007-11-13 11:20 PM (#9179 - in reply to #9171)

Admin

Many of the quotes also appear on my quotes page on SubmarineSailor.com. I checked and this one is one of them and was submitted by Ted Armstrong STSC (SS), USN Ret

The Quotes page.
iPOD
Posted 2007-11-14 5:22 AM (#9182 - in reply to #9171)

Master and Commander

When, attempting to slink away from a Helo dropped weapon a question was aked about the weapon we could hear through UWT, "What is that thing a Bloody torpedo or a vacuum cleaner?" to which the CO answered "for all the good it's doing it may as well be a vacuum cleaner" approximately 2 to 3 seconds before it ploughed into us, it was a purely accidental collision as the weapon had not aqquired and therefore would not have gone bang but the look on thr CO's face was absolutely priceless.
subvetss
Posted 2007-11-14 6:41 AM (#9185 - in reply to #9171)
Senior Crew

Can't say where, when or why but the words, in broken English, were something like this "Surface and identify yourself!".
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software