Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Records for enemy shipping sunk by U.S. submarines during World War II are held by two boats built by Electric Boat. The USS FLASHER sank 100,231 tons of Japanese shipping, while the USS TAUTOG holds the record for the most ships - 26.
Santa Visits Again!
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

crystal
Posted 2007-11-13 8:16 PM (#9178)

Master and Commander

Subject: Santa Visits Again!

Look at what Santa sent!!! (Know what it is?)

(xxx.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments xxx.JPG (42KB - 1048 downloads)
Jim M.
Posted 2007-11-14 5:05 AM (#9180 - in reply to #9178)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: Santa Visits Again!

crystal - 2007-11-13 8:16 PM

Look at what Santa sent!!! (Know what it is?)

A big brass thingy in the middle of your living room..which will lead to Mrs Chief Clear to say get the "!(@*&#!(*&@!(!! thing outta here!!!"
iPOD
Posted 2007-11-14 5:13 AM (#9181 - in reply to #9178)

Master and Commander

Be it a Bridge Compass complete with gimbles?

I be thunking we called it a Pelorous (SP?)

a wild guess late at night.
whalen
Posted 2007-11-14 5:25 AM (#9183 - in reply to #9178)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: Sink/urinal from CO's stateroom? (nm)

?
crystal
Posted 2007-11-14 7:31 AM (#9186 - in reply to #9178)

Master and Commander

Edited by crystal 2007-11-14 7:33 AM

crystal
Posted 2007-11-14 7:31 AM (#9187 - in reply to #9178)

Master and Commander

Peter (iPOD) had it wired (again - - takes an Aussie everytime!)!  This is a pelorus from one of our "older" submarines.  The nametag says "Bureau of Ships, U.S. Navy Standard Pelorus, 7 1/2 inch Illuminated Dial, Mark II, Mod 0, Ser. No. 5793 - 1942, Contact Number NXs2326, Kevin & Wilfrid O. White Co., Boston"  These were carried up to the bridge and mounted in a bracket (later to be replaced by the TBT) upon surfacing, weighs in at about 14 pounds.  It has the removeable lid to protect it during handling (hard to find these "loose lids".  This is NOT a compass, it has a fixed card with a moveable (duplex) sight that gives relative bearing to the vessel - great for those in-close, surface torpedo attacks... Now, all I have to do is find our "which" boat it came from (yeh, good luck!)... AND again it was Santa Dex that dug this out of his ditty bag to deliver to our future museum visitors (after I have fun with it first!) - Thanks again Dexter!

(pelorus1.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments pelorus1.JPG (71KB - 1087 downloads)
JrKrup, Skimmer
Posted 2007-11-14 10:38 AM (#9191 - in reply to #9187)

Master and Commander

Where's the GREASE?
What grease?
The Relative Bearing Grease!

Now you know where the relative bearing grease goes! It lubricates and protects those rotating sights, keeps them functional and protects them from the salt water.

And I bet you thought everyone was sending you on a wild goose chase.
GaryKC
Posted 2007-11-14 11:12 AM (#9192 - in reply to #9191)

COMSUBBBS

(rbg-rl[1].jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments rbg-rl[1].jpg (62KB - 1087 downloads)
dex armstrong
Posted 2007-11-15 6:42 AM (#9216 - in reply to #9178)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: John, Were you able to remove the baseplate?

John, Checked with the widow of a gentleman who knew the Captain who gave the item to me. She has reached the stage in life where here recollections have lost definition and clarity. Somehow, I was left under the impression that the "compass card" was some sort of magnasin compass...sort of a magnetic repeater. The device has guts contained inside the brass housing, I believe and had function that extended beyiond a flat table beari9ng device...as I was given to understand. If you have access to some sort of maritime instrument calibration facility, they might know exactly how it worked. Here's my two cents worth. If it was a simple relative bearing device, wouldn't the 0-360 (N) allighnment place that bearing in a fore-aft position when the device was mounted? Nothing (gimbles, compass card, or data plate seems to comform to that supposition. And why woild the thing have internal electronic gear? (If it does?) Next...Have you figured out the function of that third reflective leaf? Thanks to your advice, I am returning the original U-Boat memorabilia I have collected over the years, to Germany...for inclusion in their U-Boat service museum. Someday I will have to tell you how I wound up with a load of original photos of lost U-Boat sailors. Very interesting tale....and how I got a package one day with a wonderful letter and a checker set that was used on board a U-Boat during the war, that has the eagle and swastika on every checker. Also a ditty bag that was hand made out of pillow ticking, that had a straight razor and a rusty seaman's knife in it...and a cup with La Rochelle and Lorient scratched on it....and some French girls name scratched on the other side with La Rochelle....and a ship outline with small X's totalling 19 below the ship. Cup is not aluminum but some alloy that oxidizes gray...dark gray. I hope that whatever that contraption is....doesn't make Millie angry. Your indebted friend DEX
crystal
Posted 2007-11-15 7:28 AM (#9217 - in reply to #9178)

Master and Commander

Dex,  I have opened it up and done a thorough inspection etal.  It is NOT a compass but a pelorus.  The main dial and the sights can be rotated and locked separately.  When the bottom is removed it reveals a poured lead base with a small light fixture mounted to it, hence most of the weight... The glass had been cracked but will be stabilized by our handy dandy auto glass ding guys...

(PelorusBase.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments PelorusBase.JPG (45KB - 1096 downloads)
crystal
Posted 2007-11-15 7:35 AM (#9218 - in reply to #9178)

Master and Commander

Here's another view looking inside through the bottom once the base is removed...

(PelorusInside.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments PelorusInside.JPG (44KB - 1095 downloads)
Bob Melley
Posted 2007-11-15 10:41 AM (#9222 - in reply to #9178)
Old Salt

Quick observation.....
The port and starboard wings of my DL had (gyro) compass repeaters., also had one on centerline, main reason was for OOD to keep checking the course being steered.......we'd place a pelorus on these repeaters to get TRUE bearings on the other ships in the formation and use the surface seach radar or a hand held stadometer??? to measure the range.
Usually travelled with a carrier and other DDs..accurate station keeping in a formation is very important and the DDs serve as reference points when the planes are coming back to land. For special sea detail, the QMs used a pelorus with a telescopic sight to pick out nav points entering & leaving port....on a sub they'd use the periscope and get very good nav info....sorry ....long time away from conning job......but think this is all correct......

Tincanman
GaryKC
Posted 2007-11-15 11:09 AM (#9223 - in reply to #9178)

COMSUBBBS

PELORUS.—A dumb compass, or a
compass card (called a pelorus card)
without a directive element, suitably
mounted and provided with vanes to permit
observation of relative bearings, unless
used in conjunction with a compass, to
give true or magnetic bearings.
* From Quartermaster.pdf
dex armstrong
Posted 2007-11-15 3:29 PM (#9226 - in reply to #9178)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: I stand corrected....

John, I stand corrected...but I am happy to know, that when you got it open, it wasn't full of gumballs. Dex
crystal
Posted 2007-11-15 4:06 PM (#9229 - in reply to #9178)

Master and Commander

Gum balls??? You got gum balls??? - - - Halloween of 1973 I presume!  LOL... Thanks again Dex, these projects keep me active...

Speaking of which; tomorrow we're loading (onto a flatbed truck) four torpedoes going down to the Razorback in Little Rock, AR - INCLUDING the last two Mk.14 "pristine" fish that were in (unaccounted for) deep storage in Hawthorne, NV...  If you guys want some pix, I'll post something later tomorrow!  Let me know!

crystal
Posted 2007-11-16 9:06 PM (#9255 - in reply to #9178)

Master and Commander

Just pulled this together about the pelorus mounting on our older boats

(pelorus8.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments pelorus8.JPG (42KB - 1070 downloads)
Park Dallis
Posted 2007-11-16 11:14 PM (#9256 - in reply to #9255)

Old Salt

Nice work, Chief.  That's telling a story.
John396
Posted 2007-11-17 10:50 AM (#9263 - in reply to #9229)
Old Salt

Would like to see pics of the 4 torpeckers. and if possible, loading aboard. Been 50 yrs.
crystal
Posted 2007-11-17 12:11 PM (#9264 - in reply to #9178)

Master and Commander

That's going to be up to Greg Stitz, Curator at AIMM (the Razorback) in Little Rock, AR when they get there... I'm not going down there (again) for this evolution)... Email him and ask him to post pictures when it happens!

(Jthree loaded.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Jthree loaded.JPG (53KB - 1076 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software