Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "Another Running Gun battle.....Destroyer Gunning, Wahoo Running” -- Wahoo (SS-238) after hitting a convoy, now out of fish, and heading for the barn......
Thanks to John Clear......
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

dex armstrong
Posted 2007-11-16 11:33 AM (#9240)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Thanks to John Clear......

In a recent phone conversation, John gave me an idea. He says that when most of us wind up on the loading dock of the local funeral home, the people who will end up disposing of our gear, probably won't have the proper level of appreciation for the memorabilia we've accumulated over the years...Time and pressure to get things wrapped up will probably result in unrecognized, an unappreciated historical value of many of the "long ago" dust collectors we've assembled and preserved....A lot of very meaningful submarine gear will end up the neighborhood shopping center dumpster, the Salvation Army "what the hell is it?" pile or in the scrap metal heap at Uncle Freddy's salvage yard. John suggested (A) listing the gear and your intended disposition in your will (B) Shipping it off to Naval and Maritime Museums now while you're not rocking on the front porch reduced to burping, drooling and worrying about when Fran, Kukla and Ollie will be coming on, or (C) Contacting John Clear and mailing the stuff off to him. Most institutions for a number of very valid reasons, don't except atrifacts on loan, so you must understand that once shipped you have given it away for permanent adoption. Going through John Clear has many things to recommend that course of action. God never made a straighter shooter than John Clear...PERIOD. Anything you send him, will never turn up on E-Bay, some hucksters website or in an indian trade somewhere. It will end up at some point where its' significance, historical value and rarity can be appreciated by past, present and future boatsailors, undersea adventurers and naval researchers. Because of John, this morning I shipped boxes off to Germany, Nova Scotia and Gosport, UK (Portsmouth)...with museum quality submarine artifacts for cataloging and display. I have a chart marked with the predetermined U-Boat patrol areas and estuary blockade positions for the dates of the Narvik landings. The chart is complete with inked in notations, printed designations, symbols and authentic German naval stamps with eagles and swastikas and red stamped locations for U-Boat anchorage. There's a signature with no attribution as to just who in the hell it belongs to. Today I mailed off a handmade U-Boat sailors cap badge, that must have taken days to make. It's like giving away cute puppies...not easy, but you know you're doing the right thing....Highly recommend Clears suggestions...DEX
crystal
Posted 2007-11-16 2:58 PM (#9244 - in reply to #9240)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Thanks to John Clear......

Yes to everything that Dex says re: your submarine "stuff"

(1)  If you don't already have a will, it's probably because of:

(a) you're in serious self denial (believe me, you won't escape!, or (b) you think attornys cost too much; - - -short answer? Do it yourself.... Go on line for wording if you haven't heard it enough by now (i.e. "I John Clear being of sound mind - (right), do hereby" etc. etc.  Write it out long hand and tape the envelope shut, sign the tape and mail it to yourself.  Leave it in a conspicuous place with "Last Will & Testement" printed bold and clearly across the front... 

(2)  If you do have a will, write a codicil (amendment, addition to), use the same proceedure as above if you don't want to use an attorney...

Questions?  Guess what?  Contact your attorney!  (sorry)...

AND please don't send anything to the Clear household that will get me in deep kimchee with my boss!

Don Gentry
Posted 2007-11-16 4:59 PM (#9246 - in reply to #9244)

Admin

Subject: RE: Thanks to John Clear......

John.... I'm disappointed in you.... here you make a post on a submarine bbs and use the phrase "being of sound mind...."

Please stick to things related to boat sailors!!!! Sheesh...

Corabelle
Posted 2007-11-16 5:17 PM (#9248 - in reply to #9240)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Now, Don -

Didn't you read Elmer's letter where he said that he was applying for sub school? He said all applicants had to be, "of sound body and mind" or some such wording. And we all know that everybody (well, most everybody) here are/is both.

I'll drink to that.

Cora
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software