Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Coronation ceremonies of Emperor Alexander II of Russia in 1855 were enlivened by a submarine concert. Wilhelm Bauer, a Bavarian inventor, took three musicians under the waters of Kronstadt Harbor in a submarine he had built, where they played appropriate music during the coronation. The music was distinctly heard on the surface.
I have begun Warshot's wonderful book
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

dex armstrong
Posted 2007-11-19 4:47 PM (#9325)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: I have begun Warshot's wonderful book

Folks, DEPTHS OF COURAGE is catnip for the soul....I have just begun it and can't wait to get back to it. Like good maple syrup, it's the pure thing....submarine history interwoven with naval adventure that stokes the fire in the heart of every lad whoever ever daydreamed about being an undersea warrior. Many books are fictional fabrications written by well intentioned folks who never went to sea inside a pressure hull....Not so in this book. Ron "Warshot" Smith ran lethal ordinance into the torpedo tubes of a fleetboat that were UPS'ed to Hirohito's maritime inventory and parked a lot of it on the floor of the Pacific....He is one of the rare individual's alive today who know EXACTLY what a depth charge sounds like going off with the express intention of ripping you in half. This is high octane stuff....the genuine article....the tandem effort of two men who have given us a book destined to become a classic reference alongside the great books written about WWII undersea warfare. Now if you will excuse me, I have a date with a wonderful book. Highly recommend it...Now where's my foulweather jacket? DEX
MAD DOG
Posted 2007-11-19 8:41 PM (#9330 - in reply to #9325)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: I have begun Warshot's wonderful book

Dex;Just finished Warshot's latest opus.
Sent it back to Texas for an autograph.
Can't wait to get it back into my reference library.
I too highly reccomend it to all students of submarine history and lovers of a damn good tale.DBF

Edited by MAD DOG 2007-11-19 8:43 PM
dex armstrong
Posted 2007-11-21 8:20 AM (#9351 - in reply to #9325)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: For MAD DOG

Reading your posts, I feel that you and I must share a common ancestor on the "way back long ago". I share most of your opinions, observations and views. Yhat certainly applies to your take on Warshot's historical observations. No matter how deft the prose or researched the facts...NOTHING beats the accounting and "memories of one who was there and shared the historical moment. Nobody can sit at the loom of submarine history and weave a finer, more adventurous fact filled account than the Ancient Torpedoman, than "Warshot". This is a wonderful magic carpet ride...DEX
Ralph Luther
Posted 2007-11-21 11:21 AM (#9361 - in reply to #9325)
COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: I have begun Warshot's wonderful book

Just finished the book. Warshot and Flint Whitlock did a superb job. And here I thought Torpedomen couldn't read or write. Learn something new everyday. <:~)))
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software