Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: In their history, submarines were called by many names such as 'eel boats', 'plunging boats', 'devil divers', and 'pig boats'. Technically, and by size, the submarine is a ship, but it has been called a boat since its earliest days, and the term is steeped in tradition. Submariners almost invariably call their ships 'boats".
The "Warship" Series
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Pedro
Posted 2023-02-28 2:52 PM (#103320)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: The "Warship" Series

Back in 1974, there was a great RN series on television called "Warship." Because I was at sea I missed a lot of them but the ones I got to view at home I considered good quality and much in line with the RN of the day. It is about a fictional addition to the Leander Class frigate fleet called HMS Hero F42. At this time the armed services were being inundated with University graduates and the RN were getting their fair share of rebellious applicants trying to upset the military system to suit their own change-the-world agenda.

The good news is it is back on YouTube and I hope you can watch it with no problem. This episode "The Immortal Memory" describes a highly qualified engineer joining his first ship HMS Hero from university and what transpires thereafter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg_zF6mRyR0

Pedro
Thomas Courtien
Posted 2023-03-01 6:47 PM (#103323 - in reply to #103320)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: The "Warship" Series

That was a good story.

Looks like there are 4 seasons of shows on You Tube.

One of the officers made a reference to Lady Hamilton. (Admiral Nelson's mistress)

I just watched that 1940 movie with Vivien Leigh and Laurence Olivier a few weeks ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/That_Hamilton_Woman

Holland Club
Posted 2023-03-02 6:27 AM (#103324 - in reply to #103320)

Master and Commander

Comes on great for me. Thanks!
Thomas Courtien
Posted 2023-03-08 5:07 AM (#103347 - in reply to #103320)
Master and Commander

I am up to S1 Ep6; interesting enough to keep my attention.

Episode 4, regarding the sailor who is in debt; he is being enlisted to hand over secret documents to the bad guys.

I remember sitting through lectures where they gave us insight on how a sailor could get in trouble like this.

Debts from overspending, gambling debts, the promise of money, sexual encounters, actually any behavior where someone could blackmail you.

Ed668
Posted 2023-03-09 1:52 PM (#103356 - in reply to #103320)
Senior Crew

So I went to the YouTube link and started bing watching the series. Then YouTube suggested another series. This one is an Australian series called Patrol Boat. Sort of an 80's drama version of McHale's Navy. Now I am hooked on watching this one.
Thomas Courtien
Posted 2023-04-09 7:31 AM (#103463 - in reply to #103320)
Master and Commander

I am up to mid season 3 with this series.

You Tube gave me another show to try out - Making Waves

It is a more modern series about the RN which now includes sailors of both genders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGXRk4BzrRk

It is interesting to see the similarities and differences between RN and USN

Edited by Thomas Courtien 2023-04-09 7:34 AM
Pedro
Posted 2023-04-10 7:26 PM (#103477 - in reply to #103463)

COMSUBBBS

Interesting to see that the "Making Waves" navy production failed miserably after only six episodes shown to the viewing public. It was deemed to have overstepped the mark with its portrayal of unisexual relations between members of the crew, especially by members of the command structure itself (so what did they expect?) Plenty of hanky panky but not enough about how the modern navy operates without good storylines to support it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br8rhgOBKhI

Pedro
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software