Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "I saw the submariners, the way they stood aloof and silent, watching their pigboat with loving eyes. They are alone in the Navy. I admired the PT boys. And I often wondered how the aviators had the courage to go out day after day and I forgave their boasting. But the submariners! In the entire fleet they stand apart!” -- James Michener
Don't Mess With Queens Guard
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Pedro
Posted 2023-03-31 5:50 PM (#103431)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Don't Mess With Queens Guard

People come to London to see the sights, especially those connected with royal ceremonials and military parades. Most tourists, be they domestic or foreign, tend to behave in an orderly and respectful manner when watching these occasions and simply enjoy the traditional pageantry.

Unfortunately, there is a smaller percentile of these visitors `who think that they are visiting another version of Disneyland where everything is fake and that the Guard’s regiments are just toy soldiers for their entertainment. With smartphones and video cameras, they try to take the p*** out of the military personnel guarding the monarch at Buckingham Palace.

First bear in mind that these ceremonials have been going on 24/7 for hundreds of years long before tourism was even thought of. Eight battalions of Guards regiments annually rotate to provide protection for the monarch and for the remainder of their time are serving as front-line troops for the British Army across the globe. At least 97% of the troops on duty have seen combat in Iraq and Afghanistan and other global problem areas.

Visitors who think they can ridicule these soldiers should bear in mind they are dealing with battle-hardened troops and they would soon reap the consequences of their irresponsible and stupid actions. Weapons are loaded and bayonets are fixed at all times to protect the monarch and that is their sole mission and concern.

In the clip below Ryan, the presenter hasn’t done all his homework but does his best with what he has to hand. The clip showing a guardsman punching a tourist didn’t happen it is from a comedy TV sketch but the rest are factual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Uhu-chtpTs

Pedro
Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2023-03-31 10:48 PM (#103432 - in reply to #103431)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Don't Mess With Queens Guard

Unfortunately self centered Jackasses are everywhere. They must get away with that type of behavior at other venues. It is heartwarming to see them get their just desserts.
Bob Mahon
Posted 2023-04-01 8:34 AM (#103433 - in reply to #103431)

Great Sage of the Sea

I found the The Narrator to be a horse's ass.

We have them at the Tomb also.
geno
Posted 2023-04-01 9:06 AM (#103434 - in reply to #103431)
Old Salt

I lived in England when I was six. We found the Queen's Guards and the Bobbies to be very nice and most accomdating in taking pictures. The key of course was that we were respectful and not typical Amerian jackasses. I have a picture somewhere that shows a Guard at his sentry box placing his bearskin on my head to indicate how big it was. Makes me look small even though bearskins are only 1 1/2 foot high. Plus I'll always remember two key pieces of information or trivial that I have always found interesting. !. To be a cabbie you had to take a test showing you knew how to get from point A to point B on the fastest most direct route so as not to over charge the customer. 2. Crooks never wanted to comit crimes and get caught with a gun. So most didn't even bother to carry one. It was the gun not the crime that sent you to prision.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software