Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The first submarine which actually sank another enemy vessel under combat conditions was the CSS HUNLEY built during the Civil War. The Union frigate HOUSATONIC on blockade station off Charleston, S. C. was the victim. The incident occurred on February 17, 1864.
Happy National Submarine Day
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

geno
Posted 2023-04-11 10:58 AM (#103481)
Old Salt

Subject: Happy National Submarine Day

I never knew of such a thing but a friend has emailed to say today is National Submarine Day. I guess it's not a biggie on the calendar because I've never seen a submarine parade. Oh well, Happy National Submarine Day!
Pedro
Posted 2023-04-11 12:37 PM (#103482 - in reply to #103481)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Happy National Submarine Day

Happy birthday greetings to the USN Submarine Service from a long-time admirer. I thoroughly enjoyed the article on Holland 6 and was pleasantly surprised at the plethora of photographs of her on her sea trials and inspections at the turn of that century.

I am pleased that no one with any forward-thinking or imagination at that time took RN Admiral Sir Arthur Wilson’s evaluation of the submarine seriously when he stated:” It is underwater, underhand and a damned un-English weapon.” He went on to say that their crews should be tried and condemned as pirates. Little could he know that 122 years later the submarine would become the vanguard of the Royal Navy and our American ally who originally pioneered the first Holland boat. I kind of liked his description of us as unwashed chauffeurs and pirates so I am happy to go with that.

Below is an old article in the UK Press from 2001 the 100th birthday of the RN Submarine Service that bears a testament to its power. Lots of advances have been achieved since then and are still ongoing but all in the technological direction to produce capability and dominance in an uncertain world.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1632450.stm

Pedro
GaryKC
Posted 2023-04-11 5:43 PM (#103483 - in reply to #103481)

COMSUBBBS

Stay safe fellow submariners, many in the U.S. claim thar be ice walls.

(Flat Fundamentalistly.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Flat Fundamentalistly.jpg (78KB - 193 downloads)
Thomas Courtien
Posted 2023-04-13 5:47 PM (#103486 - in reply to #103481)
Master and Commander

In celebration...

Hudson Valley Base of USSVI is holding their annual dinner and auction on Saturday the 15th.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software