Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The USS Blenny SS 324, on her last patrol of WW II sank 63 vessels. One by torpedo and 62 by deck gunfire, demolition charges set by boarding parties or by burning. On several occasions shotguns were fired through the boats bottoms. These were all vessels under the 500 ton JANAC limit for tonnage sunk and not counted in the "official" totals or ships sunk. This is also a record for the most vessels ever sunk by a submarine on one patrol.
Living in an Old German Castle
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Pedro
Posted 2023-05-19 1:24 PM (#103593)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Living in an Old German Castle

Living in a 14th-century German castle may be appealing and romantic to many people. Its owner shows this presenter around his home. He uses it quite frequently during his working life but would not classify it as luxurious. The cost of maintenance and upkeep would not be possible without the number of tourists who visit each year so it is constant work in progress. Nice unassuming modern guy who treats his inheritance in a practical way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ezoCvDZDkU&list=PLKAE6fcmV8Px153A30hqdL3rVR2n2dZIg&index=2

Pedro
Tom McNulty
Posted 2023-05-19 3:40 PM (#103594 - in reply to #103593)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Living in an Old German Castle

Pedro, maybe you could help with this. I stayed at what I was told was an old German Hunting Lodge located outside Leeds. You could see the ocean from the upper rooms, but at a distance. There were Peacocks and other exotic birds running loose on the property. Supposedly the lodge was also haunted, but I think that was for the tourists. I'd like to know the name of the place, if you could help.
Pedro
Posted 2023-05-21 8:33 AM (#103598 - in reply to #103594)

COMSUBBBS

Hi! Tom,

At first, I thought this would be easy to resolve. But on searching it seems there were many hunting lodges formed by the rich giants of the steel and coal industries of the 18th century to entertain their customers and business friends in these areas. There are some medieval lodges around but doubt they could be attributed to Germany which was only a network of provinces not actually one country at that time. I am convinced that such a German hunting lodge exists and will intensify my search to locate the one to which you refer so I can provide a location and name for you. WWII German POWs were involved in many building projects during their incarceration in the UK and the answer may well lie there so we will see how it goes as we progress. I have some submarine shipmates in Yorkshire who may also be able to assist in finding an answer for you. Fingers crossed mate.

Yours Aye

Pedro
Tom McNulty
Posted 2023-05-21 10:17 AM (#103599 - in reply to #103593)

Master and Commander

Thanks Pedro. Let me add that building was constructed way before WWI or WWII. If I was to guess, I'd estimate in the 1700sn or early 1800s just by the construction. My business associate in Bristol lives in a house with the date 1649. It was in great shape so I assume the early Brits knew how to build a house. The walls around the foundation were just over 1 meter thick. Half that on the second story. I really enjoyed the country and it's heritage.
Pedro
Posted 2023-05-25 8:54 AM (#103606 - in reply to #103599)

COMSUBBBS

Hi! Tom,
Not having too much joy in tracking down this lodge. The tourist industry seemed to have morphed the names of hunting lodges and holiday lodges together and this does not help things for searching purposes. Cannot establish a Germanic lodge connection within a 50-mile radius of Leeds. All is not lost as two old re4solute submariners Billy Budd and Tommy Price who live within that area are setting off this weekend in a Range Rover to go cross county to try to locate this building for you. Will keep you updated.

Pedro
Tom McNulty
Posted 2023-05-25 2:35 PM (#103607 - in reply to #103593)

Master and Commander

Thank you very much and pass that on to your cohorts.
Pedro
Posted 2023-06-03 12:36 PM (#103642 - in reply to #103607)

COMSUBBBS

Hi! Tom,

Sorry, to take time to answer you but Billy and Tommy ran into a few problems with their search for this specific lodge. Over the weekend they visited 16 locations using the info we had all within a 50-mile radius of Leeds and they talked to the older locals for feedback.

They also used any high elevation points (not many of those in Yorkshire) whereby the North Sea could be distantly viewed from top floors but there was only one of those that did not fit the bill as it was an 18th /19th-century English structure with no historic German connections whatsoever in its family history. In fact, its owner was in his early eighties and most indignant that anyone could possibly consider his property as anything but absolutely English in every respect, and anything German was a complete anathema to him.

Billy and Tommy being two old diplomatic spooks were not into the business of losing those they interviewed so managed to calm the gentleman down and carry on their discussion with him. His opinion was that this establishment where our American friend stayed (time frame unknown) was being falsely presented to its visitors/guests as a genuine German hunting lodge when in fact it was anything but. They may have thought that such a title would give them the marketing edge in that specific area of hunting lodges of which there were many available for rent/hire.

Don’t know where this will go Tom but it is intriguing to say the very least, Billy and Tommy are prepared to return to it later in the summer after they have agreed on a plan of action. I got the idea they were enjoying it just like doing those sneaky patrols we used to do in the Barents Sea. Whoops! Official Secrets Act LOL.

Yours Aye

Pedro
Tom McNulty
Posted 2023-06-03 1:08 PM (#103643 - in reply to #103593)

Master and Commander

I can't thank you and your buds enough. Never expected that much interest but welcome none the less. I've been retired long enough that the Sales Rep I traveled with over the pond is probably long retired. I stayed at the place for one night. The weather was really out of the ordinary being how it was in the high 70s (me being metric challenged). So I had to open the windows. Woke up in the morning to find a half dozen pigeons staring at me. The Peacocks roaming outside were like roosters making their morning racket. My guess is the pigeons were interested in the cookie tin in the room. I think every place we stayed had cookies and/or crackers in the rooms. Was there for about 1-1/2 weeks giving safety seminars all over the country to Chemical and Pharmaceutical companies. Thanks again to all.
GaryKC
Posted 2023-06-03 3:25 PM (#103644 - in reply to #103593)

COMSUBBBS

(Mr. Peabody analyzing clues.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Mr. Peabody analyzing clues.jpg (171KB - 171 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software