Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The late Capt. Don Ulmer, USN SS (Ret.), and noted submarine author, began his military career by enlisting in the U.S. Navy in 1947 and in 1949 while serving as an electrical technician E-4 aboard the submarine USS Clamagore, he was transferred to the Naval Academy. When he asked his commanding officer why he was being sent to Annapolis, the skipper replied, "I don't think you're smart enough to make E-5 and I need the bunk space." Ulmer graduated in 1954 and in 1967 returned to command Clamagore, possibly the only officer to command a U.S. warship having served on it as an enlisted man.
This Was Not Part of My Naval Experience
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Thomas Courtien
Posted 2023-06-06 2:49 PM (#103650)
Master and Commander

Subject: This Was Not Part of My Naval Experience

Ring Of Fire - Johnny Cash & Dj Serj Moldova (remix)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VKjxWcd96s

Bob Mahon
Posted 2023-06-06 3:26 PM (#103651 - in reply to #103650)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: This Was Not Part of My Naval Experience

Oh my oh my oh my !
Gil
Posted 2023-06-06 3:28 PM (#103652 - in reply to #103650)
Master and Commander

I didn't get that experience either.  I also missed any Bob Hope visits.  All we got was Vickie Carr who visited at Pearl.  She  had her show at the surface portion of Beman's on base that usually was free.  I think they charged us a buck, or two - that seemed strange to us.  The money was not much, but we wondered why?

I didn't know much about her, but after a couple of songs she wasn't happy.  She said the troops in Vietnam gave her better applause than we did.  That didn't gain her any support, and I don't think she wanted to be there.

It went downhill from there, and we decided to exit early to drink beer at our smaller Beman's bar on the sub base, which was I'm guessing was a half mile or so from there.  I think that was the only time we were ever charged to go to either of the two Beman's.  She was the only "celebrity" that I remember ever coming on the base to entertain in '67 to '68.
Ric
Posted 2023-06-06 3:32 PM (#103653 - in reply to #103652)

Plankowner

We must have been on patrol when that happened. I have no memory of her being there.
As far as I remember we had no celebs ever come to entertain us.
geno
Posted 2023-06-06 4:27 PM (#103654 - in reply to #103650)
Old Salt

There was never any big personalities I ever came across, but (apologize if I mispelle it) when in Pearl and could find "The Alikis", couldn't stop me. great show. Most of the time I saw them at Beeman.
Pedro
Posted 2023-06-07 1:40 PM (#103659 - in reply to #103650)

COMSUBBBS

Vicki Carr was a good star of the sixties but her music was never going to raise the rafters with servicemen who were looking for more. Her apparent reluctance may have been due to contractual requirements we will never know about. What was needed was for the likes of Ann Margret, Tina Turner, Cher, or Joey Heatherington to take up the tempo and give the boys what they wanted but it was completely ignored by those powers in charge.

Sounds a little odd these days but the Beatles, The Rolling Stones, and other groups did not want these gigs to entertain servicemen and discarded them out of hand. Whatever their reasoning, the armed forces did not need them either. What they wanted was hot females who could sing and entertain the boys during the Cold War and it never happened. What a diabolical shame for serving Pearl Harbor personnel. Bob Hope did a lot to put shows on in Viet Nam but he could have tried harder to expand the program.
BTW loved the Johnny Cash version and that lovely Air Traffic Controller with her bats is indelibly stamped on my brain.

Pedro
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software