Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The first diesel engines built by Electric Boat for submarines were installed (1913) in the USS NAUTILUS and SEAWOLF, namesakes of the first nuclear powered submarines, also built by Electric Boat.
Folding snorkle mast
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Runner485
Posted 2023-06-07 5:56 AM (#103656)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Folding snorkle mast

Pedro, I think you may be able tell if this is a no s**tter or maybe I was hallucinating. Does anyone else know about this snorkling procedure...

In 1962 (or so) the Sirago made a trip north and stopped in Halifax, Nova Scotia. We tied up at a pier with a British submarine outboard of us. We stayed for about a week??? I visited the boat one afternoon and was given the grand tour. I found out that the boat had a detachable snorkle mast that folded down onto the deck when not in use. To use it, the boat would have to surface, rig the mast up then dive to snorkle. To be honest I never saw the exhaust mast. The boat was old but I was told they regularly dove to 700 ft? I had doubts about that, but?
Anyone?
Ric
Posted 2023-06-07 6:13 AM (#103657 - in reply to #103656)

Plankowner

Subject: RE: Folding snorkle mast

I can not attest to this for Canada but I know that both the German a Soviet Navies used folding snorkel masts at one time. The Russian Foxtrot class had such a mast but it wasn't detachable it just folded. into a notch in the deck aft of the sail on the stbd side. German masts were forward and port of the sail.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software