Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Interests in submarines extends to royalty and presidents. The King of England and the King and Queen of Spain are among those who have made submerged cruises in submarines. As a result of a trip in an early United States submarine, President "Teddy" Roosevelt ordered extra compensation for personnel serving in the "Silent Service." President Harry Truman made a 440 foot dive in a captured German submarine. The first President to cruise aboard a nuclear submarine was President Eisenhower who rode the USS SEAWOLF out of Newport, Rhode Island on September 26, 1957.
Old Sub Movies
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Gil
Posted 2023-06-07 2:55 PM (#103660)
Master and Commander

Subject: Old Sub Movies

TCM has been showing some old sub movies.  I just saw Submarine D-1 with Pat O'brien and Wayne Morris.  Standard boy gets girl fare, but it was made in the middle'30's and showed New London, and sub school.  We in the West Coast Reserves did our sub school at Hunters Point, and there was no water tower.  Hunters Point only had a recompression chamber, and it wasn't until getting to Pearl we did the ascent.

In the movie they indicated the sub school final included a qualifying dive - we never had one, did New London have one, or was that artistic license?  Our sub school never included being on a submarine, but in the year we were going to monthly meeting boats from San Diego would take us out for a day.

Also there they all did ascents from 100 feet and every ten feet their were round objects where they'd stop and wait before going up another ten feet.  When I went active duty and got assigned to a boat out of Pearl we did one 50 ft ascent, and then could do 100 ft. ascent if you wanted - stupid me just did not like being in the chamber you had to ascend out of.  Also at Pearl in '67 every ten feet or so divers were there to punch you in the stomach if you weren't expelling air by yelling HO, HO, HO. 

C Stafford
Posted 2023-06-07 5:51 PM (#103662 - in reply to #103660)
Senior Crew

Subject: RE: Old Sub Movies

I was a Reserve in SD in 64.
I had to go through the recompression chamber on the sub tender at Ballast Point before I could go to Reserve sub school at Hunters Point.
Did escape chamber in Pearl in 67, but only got to go from 50 ft using Steinke Hood. Straight up at 50 ft. What fun!
Ric
Posted 2023-06-08 7:15 AM (#103663 - in reply to #103660)

Plankowner

The movie Submarine D-1 was great for all the exterior shots (except for the "S" boat used as the D-1 in a few scenes). The interior shots were either done on a movie set or maybe on an S or R sub. D-1's interior looked nothing like the ones shown. (See http://pigboats.com/subs/v-boats4a.html for the real D-1 interior)
D-1 came around just at the right time as what was needed for the US to have in the way of a ocean going sub and meeting "Fleet Sub" requirements for WW II. By the time WW II broke out unfortunately the D-1 (Dolphin) was already 10 years old and quite dated. I believe she only had 3 war patrols before it was decided to use her for training purposes. Too much equipment was one off and becoming too unreliable. (DANFS History: http://www.hazegray.org/danfs/submar/ss169.htm )
Gil
Posted 2023-06-08 10:22 AM (#103664 - in reply to #103662)
Master and Commander

Chris,
We could have been in the same group taking the 50 foot ascent in '67.  Only difference is I did recompression chamber at Hunters Point  while in sub school.  Two friends and I volunteered to do the boot camp and sub school together at Hunters Point  during summer vacation from regular school.  We were in the class that was there in July of '66.

I got spoiled by that little chow hall at Hunters Point.  That was the best food I ever had in the Navy - that includes my boat.  Second place was the large chow hall at Terminal Island - the only drawback to mess there  was on Sunday you had to wear dress blues if I remember correctly.

Our class  never got a group picture like they did in New London that I remember.  I was just happy to be in the Navy instead of an Army Grunt getting shot at in a Vietnam rice paddy.
Holland Club
Posted 2023-06-08 2:13 PM (#103665 - in reply to #103660)

Master and Commander

In 1958 at NL Sub Basic, i ascent from 18 and 1 50 footer.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software