Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Dollar for dollar and man for man, the submarine is the country's most economical weapon. Comprising only 1.6 percent of the Navy's World War II personnel, the submarine service accounted for 55 percent of all enemy shipping destroyed.
Rationing WWII
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Holland Club
Posted 2023-06-09 7:23 AM (#103669)

Master and Commander

Subject: Rationing WWII

A date to remember.
Key goods such as sugar, tires, gasoline, meat, coffee, butter, canned goods and shoes came under rationing regulations. Some important items escaped rationing, including fresh fruit and vegetables.
The rationing was lifted on 9 June 1947. Remember it well.
Moved from Washington Co. TN to Cumberland, VA on this dayin a 1937 Chevy. About 300 miles.

Edited by Holland Club 2023-06-09 7:29 AM
Pedro
Posted 2023-06-09 12:49 PM (#103671 - in reply to #103669)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Rationing WWII

Hi! Ron,

How are you doing mate? Trust all is well with you and your good lady. Regarding rationing during WWII, I can remember most of it because it was a way of life back then as it actually went on to 1954 almost a decade after the war ended. Rationing covered everything except baby food and orange juice and I couldn't understand why we had helped fight a WW but were still suffering shortages of everything that people needed in terms of food and staples of living. Now of course I know that the national UK debt to the USA after hostilities ceased needed to be repaid and we reduced everything to address the debt. It took us 50 years to repay the debt of millions and millions of dollars to America but this was done to the very last penny (see link below.) All attention then shifted to Germany by feeding them and rebuilding their destroyed infrastructure and economy. When in the mid-40s Dutch people were found to be eating grass, cats, and dogs to survive destitute Britain made the big humanitarian decision by moving itself to the back of the rationing line to allow supplies to go to Holland. Germany received all the money and attention and never had to pay reparations to anyone. The same applied to parts of Vichy France under German control. A lot of national treasure and blood lost but for what exactly in the long run?

https://www.1900s.org.uk/1940s50s-rationing-shortages-post-war.htm

Pedro
Bob Mahon
Posted 2023-06-09 3:03 PM (#103673 - in reply to #103669)

Great Sage of the Sea

I do not understand why America bound itself in "War reparations" to Germany above our Allies.
In my world, "f*ck with me and f*ck you"!
I still conduct myself accordingly.

Edited by Bob Mahon 2023-06-09 3:08 PM
Holland Club
Posted 2023-06-10 1:22 PM (#103685 - in reply to #103671)

Master and Commander

E mail comig mate.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software