Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Three wives of Presidents of the United States have sponsored submarines. Mrs. Dwight D. Eisenhower christened the USS NAUTILUS, Mrs. John F. Kennedy christened the USS LAFAYETTE and Mrs. Hillary Clinton christened the USS Columbia SSN771 in 1995.
New throttleman
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Runner485
Posted 2023-06-10 6:38 AM (#103677)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: New throttleman

As Iapproach my 82nd spin around the sun, for some reason I was remembering onenight when I stood my first watch as a boot throttleman on Sirago. I was 21years old. I don’t know if all boot throttlemen get the same treatment but hereis what happened to me and my boot oiler.

After wedove we got the order to make fresh water. About 30 minutes later we got theorder to make air. I was wondering why the water and air since we just went tosea? Naïve for sure. We then got the order to snorkel. We were a very busy fwdengineroom. I knew what effect snorkling can have on making fresh water. Afterabout 15 minutes or so we get secure snorkling over the 1MC. Then secure makingwater and air. We were jumping around like maniacs trying to shut everythingdown.

As my oilerand I were panting trying to catch our breaths, my boss a first class enginemancomes into the engineroom smiling as wide as a Cheshire cat. Along with our Chiefthey convinced the dive to allow this test of Sirago’s boot throttleman. It still amazes me to think of the freedom of being on submarines that allow this stuff to take place.

I agedconsiderably that night, but I still think about it and smile and find myself thinking about Sirago more often lately.

Tom McNulty
Posted 2023-06-10 7:02 AM (#103678 - in reply to #103677)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: New throttleman

Nice story Joe. I'd bet many of us had an "initiation" just to see if we were worthwhile and deserving of help with quals.
Ric
Posted 2023-06-10 12:52 PM (#103683 - in reply to #103677)

Plankowner

At least you are still here thinking about it!!
And many more!!
Holland Club
Posted 2023-06-10 1:18 PM (#103684 - in reply to #103683)

Master and Commander

Great tale!! My typical day was similar. Oiler to the trim manifold on a dive. If you were making water, so be it. If a snorkel comes, grin nd rig it yourself. Same with set condition Baker, rig for surface, check for leaks., deep submergence.. Throttleman did it all.

Still a great experience!. I Left the boat physically in 1962 but it has never left me.
Gil
Posted 2023-06-11 10:44 AM (#103689 - in reply to #103677)
Master and Commander

Thanks Joe for sharing that.

PaulR
Posted 2023-06-11 1:34 PM (#103690 - in reply to #103677)

Master and Commander

You're QUALIFIED.

And you got a chance to prove it to your SHIPMATES.

Edited by PaulR 2023-06-11 1:37 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software