Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "Any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile... can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction,...' I served in the United States Navy'.” -- John F. Kennedy
It seems that a debris field has been found in the seach...
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Ric
Posted 2023-06-22 11:11 AM (#103719)

Plankowner

Subject: It seems that a debris field has been found in the seach...

,,,for the missing tourist submersible. Only two large parts. The main passenger part is still missing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRd13ABoKrk

Gil
Posted 2023-06-22 10:40 PM (#103724 - in reply to #103719)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: It seems that a debris field has been found in the seach...

Just as I was getting out we transited from Pearl to Hunters Point.  Maybe about roughly forty or so dives there ewould be the emergency surface three gongs usually for something innocuous.  During that two week period because of drills and such I would raise up a little if in my rack and take notice - relaxation would only occur when I felt the up angle.  That was the only time I'd be nervous.

Working on the topside with George when I first came aboard I noticed the cable on the FTR escape was only like 220 feet if I remember correctly, and for the ATR it was feet.  Once you got ten feet out of Pearl Harbor the depth were well over 1000 feet.

I know people get off by different things, but for me going mountain climbing, or visiting the Titanic at two miles under the sea doesn't appeal to me.
Ric
Posted 2023-06-23 8:20 AM (#103726 - in reply to #103724)

Plankowner

On Flasher the cables on our buoys was well over 1000 feet but the Navy had nothing at that time that could get that deep to do a rescue. We knew the buoys were to keep Mom & Dad happy.
Don Gentry
Posted 2023-06-23 9:32 PM (#103731 - in reply to #103726)

Admin

If your boat "travelled north", the bouys were likely welded to the hull

Ric
Posted 2023-06-23 10:03 PM (#103732 - in reply to #103731)

Plankowner

The reason you welded your buoys down was because Flasher had her after one pop loose off Florida in Sept 1966 on our way to Hawaii. We surfaced and called for tugs to come and get the buoy. We we went into Ft Lauderdale and had it reinstalled and straps welded over them. After that it was decided that all buoys would be welded down before patrol and the straps cut off on return to port. We started a trend!!!
Gil
Posted 2023-06-24 9:16 AM (#103733 - in reply to #103719)
Master and Commander

Around Hawaii the only time water was less than 1000 feet deep was inside the entrance to Pearl and when we anchored off Lahina.
Ric
Posted 2023-06-24 5:16 PM (#103735 - in reply to #103733)

Plankowner

The buoy PH (Papa Hotel) is the 100 fathom curve and deep enough to dive a sub which is about twice ships length or room to maneuver in case of emergency diving.
Thomas Courtien
Posted 2023-06-26 3:12 PM (#103737 - in reply to #103719)
Master and Commander

It is sad this accident occurred and lives were lost.

I feel bad for their families.

But, as we all know, submarines are serious business.

I always felt safe underwater but I never forgot how there was a risk vs. being on a surface ship.

GaryKC
Posted 2023-06-26 4:21 PM (#103738 - in reply to #103719)

COMSUBBBS

Learned many years ago, ones income doesn't equate to any measure of intelligence. As a self described meme aficionado, I believe this one fits.

(crazy-rich people.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments crazy-rich people.jpg (168KB - 175 downloads)
Pedro
Posted 2023-06-30 2:17 PM (#103767 - in reply to #103738)

COMSUBBBS

Hard to evaluate this situation. As one of the thousands of submariners worldwide I commiserate with the tragic loss of human life and extend my sincere condolences to the families involved.

However, this was not a military operation. This was purely a money-making venture by Ocean-Gate Expeditions to sell highly-priced places on their submersible “Titan” to view the wreck of the liner “RMS Titanic” 2.5 miles below on the bed of the North Atlantic Ocean. Only the rich could afford these trips which would not have given them any better views of the Titanic than those already captured on previous videos of the site but they felt compelled to go on this ill-fated adventure. The 19-year-old son of one of the passengers was terrified at the prospect but his father was so insistent on his attendance that he obeyed his father which sadly led to both their deaths.

It should be borne in mind that the strongroom on the Titanic contains tons of gold bullion, jewels, and valuable treasures. These diving companies all hang together hoping for some future ingress to this vast treasure trove once the necessary technologies arrive to access it. In the meantime, they continued to sell off high-priced descents to the wreck to keep themselves financially afloat with a submersible of what now seems doubtful in its quality for the massive depths it was built to operate in.
All this was carried out despite the fact it is a grave site in international waters where a modicum of respect for the dead is expected for the original 15,000 Titanic victims and the newly added group from the Titan allowing them to rest in peace in perpetuity. This looks unlikely to happen as 10 days after the tragedy Ocean-Gate Expeditions are already advertising on its website for bookings for the next two years down to the RMS Titanic. Money doesn’t just talk it also swears it seems.

Pedro
steamboat
Posted 2023-06-30 8:11 PM (#103768 - in reply to #103719)
Master and Commander

Personally, I liken this fiasco to grave-robbing.
Steamboat sends
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software