Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Coronation ceremonies of Emperor Alexander II of Russia in 1855 were enlivened by a submarine concert. Wilhelm Bauer, a Bavarian inventor, took three musicians under the waters of Kronstadt Harbor in a submarine he had built, where they played appropriate music during the coronation. The music was distinctly heard on the surface.
I Had Np Idea!
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Gil
Posted 2023-07-02 4:24 PM (#103779)
Master and Commander

Subject: I Had Np Idea!

This was posted in Facebook as a picture of the submarine base in San Pedro, CA that supposedly was closed in 1923,  I joined the Reserves in 1965 at Terminal Island less than 1/4 mile away.  In my year of attending Reserve meetings at TI this base was never brought up.  I grew up five miles away and still live a fifteen minute drive from it.  We had the Roncador as our reserve boat.  The batteries were removed and the replaced with concrete - it still floated like a cork.  At least one engine could fire and blow smoke, but most of the insides were gutted to make room for classes.  SORRY FOR THE DUPLICATE PHOTO!May be an image of submarineMay be an image of submarine
Ric
Posted 2023-07-02 5:11 PM (#103780 - in reply to #103779)

Plankowner

Subject: RE: I Had Np Idea!

Lots of San Pedro pics on the PigBoats pages.
This is an interesting photo. Besides the one L boat the rest are two different versions of the H class. In the fore ground are two of the original three H class boats. The H-3 SS-29 was built in Seattle. In the background, second boat from right has to be the H-2 SS-30 was built in San Francisco at Union Iron Works. (H-1 was lost in 1920).

All the rest are later H class built in Canada for the Tsars Navy but never shipped do to the Russian Revolution. The US bought the boats, (all packed in hundreds of wooden crates for shipment) and had them sent to Bremerton, Washington for assembly.
http://pigboats.com/subs/h-boats.html (scroll down about 2/3 of the page to Hulls in Frame)

Their hull numbers fall in the middle of the sequence for the S class subs as numbers SS-147 thru SS-152. These different in design as a foreign export design including some new features and omitting some common to US design boats.

The Soviet Union had a few pre-revolution H boats that they used in WW II. The British also used the US export class H boats and really liked them.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software