Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Traditionally, United States submarines have been named after fish and other marine creatures. One exception was the Navy's first submarine HOLLAND which was named after its inventor, John Philip Holland. Today, ballistic missile submarines are named for famous American patriots, with the newest class, the OHIO class, named after states. The LOS ANGELES class of attack submarines are named for United States cities. The nations news class of submarine, the Virginia class, is also named for US States, making them the capital ships of the navy.
Help
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Gil
Posted 2023-07-02 10:25 PM (#103781)
Master and Commander

Subject: Help

I know being a reservists probably explains my lack of understanding, but this was posted on Facebook for a submarine group.  I was to embarrassed to ask on that site what is meant by sucking rubber, and reading piping tabs - can someone kindly educate me?

What really intrigued me about the post is that sailor looks exactly the way I remember the Pickerel's 1st Class Storekeeper S. K. "Pappy" Minton looking, except Pappy would have had that coffee cup full of giley and a splash of grapefruit juice back in '68.

May be an image of 1 person, submarine and text that says 'got more time sittm' on the s**tter sucking rubber and reading piping tabs at test depth than you have time in the Navy, ya non- qual dink, puke.
Ric
Posted 2023-07-02 10:57 PM (#103782 - in reply to #103781)

Plankowner

Subject: RE: Help

Well, Sucking Rubber is a new one on me. Can't say I ever heard that one and I was in from 1964 to 1970. Maybe referring to Emergency Breathing masks?
Piping Tabs are booklets of systems drawings. Main Sea Water. Trim & Drain. Main Lead and Vital Hydraulics, Electrical, Snorkel, Etc... They were sized to easily fit in your back pocket and showed all Pipes, Valves, Switch boxes a what not for all systems on the boat. Each system had its own TAB.
We all know what Test Depth is.
Gil
Posted 2023-07-02 11:51 PM (#103783 - in reply to #103781)
Master and Commander

Thanks Ric, I'm not as dumb as I thought I was.

Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2023-07-03 12:15 AM (#103784 - in reply to #103781)
Master and Commander

Suckin' Rubber

Saw this picture over at NavSource, and it reminded me of one thing that I don't miss about submarines:

It's a picture of the Ship's Control party of USS Nebraska (SSBN 739) during some sort of drill requiring EABs (probably a fire drill). One of the things I hated most was coming to PD while wearing an EAB -- you really couldn't see out the 'scope at all, plus you got maybe 1 1/2 revolutions before you ran out of EAB line and you had to reverse direction. It's definitely something for the younger guys to do. (One of the best things about being Eng was that I was almost always a drill monitor, so I hardly ever had to wear the EABs.)
Tom McNulty
Posted 2023-07-03 6:56 AM (#103785 - in reply to #103782)

Master and Commander

I remember "sucking rubber" did refer to the EBA or the breathing mask you connected to the manifold.
Ric
Posted 2023-07-03 7:00 AM (#103786 - in reply to #103785)

Plankowner

Thanks. I thought that is what it meant. I've learned that many things had lots of names depending on where you were stationed.
Gil
Posted 2023-07-03 9:59 AM (#103790 - in reply to #103781)
Master and Commander

Thanks all, but I don't remember anything like that, or any drills with them.  Would they be connected to the air manifold?
Tom McNulty
Posted 2023-07-03 1:25 PM (#103791 - in reply to #103790)

Master and Commander

There's the EAB you strap on to your chest with a Canister inserted. The other is the mask with a hose to connect to the manifolds.
Ed668
Posted 2023-07-03 6:03 PM (#103801 - in reply to #103781)
Senior Crew

I remember sucking rubber was what we called wearing a rubber mask with the air hose connected to the manifold.
Gil
Posted 2023-07-03 7:41 PM (#103802 - in reply to #103781)
Master and Commander

I don't remember wearing anything like that, or on the boat, or on my reserve boat. During my year of reserve meeting before I went active duty a few boats from San Diego would take us out for the weekend around Catalina, or San Clemente Island.  They'd make sure to feed us a steak (5-way beef), and do a few dives and drills.  We were just riders and didn't participate in either.  They would bring us back to Terminal Island each evening and we'd go home.

I assume it wasn't a nuc thing.  The only time I remember a cannister was at reserve boot camp.  They took us to Treasure Island and we went through a smoke fiiied thing like a house with something over my head.  I'm trying to remember if we were wearing anything over our head when we did our ascent from 50 feet at Pearl.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software