Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The first boat known to have been navigated under water was built in 1620 by a Dutchman, Cornelius Van Drebbel. Van Drebbel is said to have developed a chemical which would purify the air and allow the crew to stay submerged for extended periods.
Test Depth Story
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Thomas Courtien
Posted 2023-07-28 7:27 PM (#103890)
Master and Commander

Subject: Test Depth Story

This is a story about an officer who was supposedly locked in his stateroom while the boat went to test depth.

I went to test depth at least six times during my time.

Each time it was an all hands exercise with everyone, including officers, assigned an area of the boat to patrol for any potential problems.

So, I have to wonder how this guy was not missed by the rest of the crew.

https://theaviationgeekclub.com/uss-boston-submarine-weapons-officer-recalls-when-he-remained-locked-in-his-stateroom-for-two-hours-during-test-depth-testing-the-door-wedged-shut-because-during-the-dive-the-hull-compressed-the-deck/

Edited by Thomas Courtien 2023-07-28 7:43 PM
Ric
Posted 2023-07-28 7:41 PM (#103891 - in reply to #103890)

Plankowner

Subject: RE: ...same for me

I went to TD at least 6 but probably more like 10 times as we were the first sub to be SUBSAFE certified. Everyone wanted to ride a new certified boat since everyone else was depth restricted. No one was locked in any space that I am aware of. though the first dive was a thrill and pop-rivets were exploding all over the place. We had one free standing partition bulkhead that buckled due to compression. Talking with some guys from the decomm crew that bulkhead was still like that at decomm.
Tom McNulty
Posted 2023-07-29 6:59 AM (#103892 - in reply to #103891)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: ...same for me

Did that a few times during sea trails on two boats. During one of the events a deck mount bolt sheared and went by my LOS station with some velocity. There were a few other minor breakages and missile tube actuator leaks but all in all no big deal.
JrKrup, Skimmer
Posted 2023-07-29 9:43 AM (#103896 - in reply to #103890)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Test Depth Story

Popping rivets all over the place? Why do I suddenly feel safer riding a minesweeper?
fortyrod
Posted 2023-07-29 10:35 AM (#103897 - in reply to #103890)
Great Sage of the Sea

Not bragging or beating my breast, just dont understand the few times people went to test depth. On SS490 it was not uncommon and no big deal. Rig for deep, sneak in, come up look around, sneak out, jam the can.

The same onboard Parche. Not at all uncommon and I do not remember any strange occurrences or pop rivet bullets
Coyote
Posted 2023-07-29 11:30 AM (#103898 - in reply to #103890)

Master and Commander

Seadragon had a flat vertical plate just aft of the fire control gear between the hull and the upper level deck. As we went down, it would bend, and as we came back up it would straghten. Finally we put a card behind it and calibrated it for use as a depth gage not connected to sea water.

Coyote
Ric
Posted 2023-07-29 11:56 AM (#103899 - in reply to #103897)

Plankowner

We were a brand new boat and the hull was unstressed. Start compressing that hull and it puts pressure on all the sheet metal bulkheads and furniture. Pop rivets came under strain and sheared. When we got back to port you could see every frame in the hull. The 637's and Parche had a thicker hull than Thresher class boats and we had the same TD. What a difference that little added thickness can make.
Holland Club
Posted 2023-07-29 2:04 PM (#103901 - in reply to #103890)

Master and Commander

No biggie, We went to test depth after any yard or tender work thst breached the hull. Just

No biggie.

go down in increments of 100 feet , check for leaks and report.

Of course Entemedor was an old boat and proven over many years. Did enjoy her 5000th dive. Cook baked a cake.
Ric
Posted 2023-07-30 7:27 AM (#103910 - in reply to #103901)

Plankowner

Someone told me at one time how many dives Flasher had done in her life but it was nowhere near 5000. I'm pretty sure we hadn't even made 100 by the time I left the boat. Once we were down we were down for at least 60 days. Once we hit the fleet we were one of only few boats that was full test depth certified while the rest of the nuclear fleet were depth restricted. They worked us hard, over 200+ days a year. Wish I could remember the number I was told.
GaryKC
Posted 2023-07-30 7:36 AM (#103911 - in reply to #103890)

COMSUBBBS

10,000th dive and airless surface 
http://www.usstusk.com/divepics.htm

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software