Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "We shall never forget that it was our submarines that held the lines against the enemy while our fleets replaced losses and repaired wounds." -- Fleet Admiral Chester Nimitz
Hey Ric - Mansfield
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Don Gentry
Posted 2023-07-30 5:47 PM (#103916)

Admin

Subject: Hey Ric - Mansfield

Ric,...

Per American Submariner, John Mansfield has passed.  So sad to hear that!  Do you know if had been ill or....??

He was a good guy!
Ric
Posted 2023-07-30 10:45 PM (#103918 - in reply to #103916)

Plankowner

Subject: RE: Hey Ric - Mansfield

Don

I got my copy of American Submariner this morning and saw that too. I was shocked though John was older than me I guess that explains it. It was just his time. Funny thing I was just thinking of him a few months ago and thinking it had been a while since we'd seen him.
I have no idea if he had been in ill health or not. Made me think of all the time he spent promoting his book; "Cruisers For Breakfast". Probably the only place to get it now would be eBay.
R.I.P John
Hand Salute!! Two!!
Don Gentry
Posted 2023-08-01 7:38 PM (#103930 - in reply to #103918)

Admin

Still available on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Cruisers-Breakfast-Patrols-U-S-S-Darter/dp/0966093801/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2MEMMAO7SFBBK&keywords=cruisers+for+breakfast&qid=1690943558&sprefix=cruisers+for+breakfast%2Caps%2C164&sr=8-1

My signed copy is now a treasure    RIP John!
Gil
Posted 2023-08-01 9:05 PM (#103931 - in reply to #103916)
Master and Commander

I saw this and it made me think of my worst business trip when I worked for TRW.  We had a vendor in Mansfield, Ohio that was giving us problems making relays.  So much so my boss wanted me and him to visit them.  Five others were also included because this could hold up a launch of a satellite.

I was new with this boss and this portion of TRW.  I left Saturday so I'd get acclimated to Mansfield and Tuesdays meeting.  Never having driven in snow I tok snow flurries to be white out conditions. I got a rental car in Cleveland to drive to Mansfield which is closer to Columbus.  On the radio I hear the term snow flurries think that's the worst.  When I left LAX it was mid 70's and never thought to check Mansfield.
I drive to Mansfield in record time Sunday afternoon and wanted a drink to calm down and relax before I explored the area.  

I had heard about Blue Laws only in history classes.  Sunday night the temp went down to 8 degrees and I'm wearing summer clothes for Calif.  After driving around I found the stores didn't sell beer on Sundays.  Finally after hours driving around I find bowling alleys sell beer on Sunday.

Monday I do nothing but meet my boss and the others that came from my company.  Tuesday we have the meeting and it turned to crap.  I think my boss is mad at me, more so when he says in parting  Gil will be here next week to introduce you to your source inspector.  He never gave me heads up on that.

When the meeting ends I drive to Columbus by myself and get back to LAX through Atlanta.  The only saving grace I see from Atlanta layover  a connection to New Orleans convenient.  Next Friday I am back in Mansfield with only the source inspector I know quite well and its at least twenty degrees warmer.  Our  meeting goes well and parts get bought off and shipped - the vender was happy there were only two people from TRW.  On Friday afternoon's flight  I get upgraded to 1st class for New Orleans (frequent flyer) and I had a great weekend.  I found out later Mansfield is very famous for a prison.

Two things I learned.  I never want to see Mansfield, Ohio, or Fort Wayne, Indiana again.  Nice people, but I'll never be a sight seeing tourist at either.  Fort Wayne is a whole separate story all by itself.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software