Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The first Japanese prisoner of war captured by the Americans was Kazuo Sakamaki, an ensign in the Imperial Japanese Navy. He was captured on the morning of December 7, 1941. Sakamaki had set an explosive charge to destroy his disabled submarine, which had been trapped on Waimanalo Beach. When the explosives failed to go off, he swam to the bottom of the submarine to investigate the cause of the failure and became unconscious due to a lack of oxygen. Sakamaki was found by a Hawaiian soldier, David Akui, and was taken into military custody. When he awoke, he found himself in a hospital under American armed guard. After the war he returned to Japan and found work with the Toyota Motor Corporation before retiring in 1987. Sakamaki died on November 29, 1999, aged 81.
Torsk Work Weekends
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Runner485
Posted 2023-08-07 2:20 PM (#103959)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Torsk Work Weekends

I was just looking at the Torsk work pics on their web site. Brings back some very fond memories of meeting and working with some of the best submariners ever. I missed the first weekend, but made most of the later ones. We were so young then, and as life goes many of them are no longer with us.
I can’t believe all the fun we hadd and even accomplished some work.
I even met a submariner that was shorter then me…to my astonishment. We became very good friends…
My thanks goes out to all the original Bandits…Dave , Mike, Bruce, Doc, and my mind will not allow me to remember more than the faces. They were and still remain the backbone of Torsk.
Ric
Posted 2023-08-07 2:31 PM (#103960 - in reply to #103959)

Plankowner

Subject: RE: Torsk Work Weekends

I remember many of those work weekends as well. I didn't make them all having to come from the west coast but really had tons of fun as well. That is where I first met so guy named Joe. Good memories.
JrKrup, Skimmer
Posted 2023-08-07 5:08 PM (#103961 - in reply to #103960)

Master and Commander

Joe, that was Shep "Hoot" Gibson, from Americus GA. We all made a lot of good friends there. Take care my friend.

Jon Krup, Skimmer - Minesweeps
Ric
Posted 2023-08-07 8:46 PM (#103962 - in reply to #103961)

Plankowner

"Hoot" was, indeed, a Hoot!
As I remember it, he painted out the Yeoman's shack.
Tom McNulty
Posted 2023-08-08 6:37 AM (#103963 - in reply to #103959)

Master and Commander

I found that I would not have made it in the engineering spaces. Stosh and I cleaning the lower level engine room is not a great place for 6ft3in 260 lb guy. Did it though.
Runner485
Posted 2023-08-08 11:24 AM (#103964 - in reply to #103961)

COMSUBBBS

Thanks Jon, I couldn’t remember his name. Hoot, omg what a great name. What a blast we had together.
We wound up threatening OlGoat because he was too damn big. He played along of course…great fun!
You’re right Jon, we made a lot of good friends there, lifelong friends too.
Bruce
Posted 2023-08-08 12:54 PM (#103965 - in reply to #103959)
Mess cooking

Joe, thanks for bringing those memories back up. They certainly were good times. Do you still have your "equalizer"?

I still hold out hope that perhaps one day we could host another one.
Runner485
Posted 2023-08-09 11:28 AM (#103971 - in reply to #103965)

COMSUBBBS

Bruce,
That would be a dream forme since I no longer can drive very far anymore. I’ll be turning 82 in a few weeks and no longer have the wherewithal to drive long distances. I do drive locally though.
It would be great seeing all you guys again…
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software