Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: NAUTILUS has long been touted as the first Nuclear powered submarine. In fact, she was the first nuclear powered "anything". Nothing that moves was ever propelled by nuclear power before NAUTILUS.
Sailors in the 60’s
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

fortyrod
Posted 2023-08-08 1:39 PM (#103966)
Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: Sailors in the 60’s

My nephew now lives in San Diego. I mentioned about being home ported out of San Diego. I’ve heard about Norfolk, “sailors and dogs keep off the grass.” I never experienced any animosity to sailors in SDiego. But then, I was usually in camouflage, dress whites and white hat. It was only after leaving the Seven Seas that I became visible. No one looks at a sailor in a seaport anymore then a waiter is inspected in a restaurant. In his natural haunts a sailor has no face, and certainly no plans beyond getting drunk, collecting epitaphs, and getting in jail for fighting. At least that was the general feeling about sailors in the 60’s, I’ve tested it. But I must warn anyone testing my theory, never try this away from a shipping port. I left my legacy intact with my nephew by staying mum. He would not understand a sailor in the 60’s anymore then I would understand Woke culture today.
steamboat
Posted 2023-08-08 3:08 PM (#103967 - in reply to #103966)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Sailors in the 60’s

Please define "Woke Culture!"
GaryKC
Posted 2023-08-08 3:46 PM (#103968 - in reply to #103966)

COMSUBBBS

(the woke's.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments the woke's.jpg (178KB - 148 downloads)
Ric
Posted 2023-08-09 10:30 AM (#103969 - in reply to #103966)

Plankowner

I was in SD in 1964. Boot and A school. 7 Seas was a fantastic experience. Got my first tattoo at Doc Webbs. I was warned off going to "Painless Nells". Did Vampire Liberty a few times until they wouldn't take my blood anymore. Said my blood type was too rare. Left in late November '64 to go to Sub School.
Gil
Posted 2023-08-09 10:40 AM (#103970 - in reply to #103966)
Master and Commander

Growing up in SoCal in the early 60's I lived less than 8 miles from the Long Beach Naval Station.  In the early 60's we'd head to the Pike in Long Beach and poke fun among ourselves about the drunken sailors that were always trying to pick up girls, or would just be stumbling around there on weekends.  This was before Vietnam and little did we dream because of the Draft  in '65 Long Beach's Naval Station would be my Reserve Center.  

A couple of times between high school and the service we'd drive down to downtown San Diego.  The few times we went I got the same vibe as I did from the Pike, and saw the drunken sailors walking around.  After I got out of the service we'd go to San Diego to play golf, and because it was the gateway to Baja California.  It seemed to have change completely and I wish I had bought a house there in the 70's.  

In 1965 after attending a year in reserve meetings on and about the Roncador  I was TAD assigned to Long Beach  while they found me to a boat.  The first night I spent in the transit barracks for sailors being mustered out.  That night when lights went out I heard drunken happy sailors coming in.  I heard an especially drunk  group say that Long Beach was the f---ing best liberty port in the whole f---ing Navy.  I cringed with the thought of that being true.

While waiting for a boat in '66 my first orders I received on a  a Friday afternoon had me going to survival training, riverboat school, and then Da Nang for riverboat patrol.  Luckily in my year of meetings I had "volunteered" to do boot camp and sub school during regular school's summer vacation.  When I questioned my orders they pulled my file and I saw SG which the clerk said signified Sub Graduate.  The told me the orders were assigned in San Diego, and Monday morning they'd check if an error had been made.  Worst weekend I had ever had, but Monday morning those orders were cancelled after a weekend of sweating bullets.  In a couple of weeks I got my orders to report to Oahu to the Pickerel.  I really wanted San Diego, but I was overjoyed to not be on a riverboat, and I had some familiarity with the Pickerel because of the television program Silent Service.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software