Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "Like the destroyer, the submarine has created its own type of officer and man with language and traditions apart from the rest of the service, and yet at the heart unchangingly of the Service” -- Rudyard Kipling, The Fringes of the Fleet, 1915
Hank Williams Live July 13th 1952 Sunset Park, West Grove, PA Rare Live Performance Recording.
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Ric
Posted 2023-08-26 9:39 PM (#104027)

Plankowner

Subject: Hank Williams Live July 13th 1952 Sunset Park, West Grove, PA Rare Live Performance Recording.

The King! A half hour of talking and singing. You feel like you are there.,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzTnowQ0DyM
Pedro
Posted 2023-08-27 5:27 PM (#104028 - in reply to #104027)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Hank Williams Live July 13th 1952 Sunset Park, West Grove, PA Rare Live Performance Recording.

Ric.
You are so right this is indeed an audio treasure that is rare. Considering this was 1952 the sound quality is excellent on all its tracks. I may have mentioned it before but my dad got me hooked on Jimmie Rodgers's blue yodeling songs from an early age. My old man could yodel and sing with the best of them, including Jimmie. He never did it professionally and just sang songs at home and occasionally at his local pub using a banjo or piano. Years after his hero passed, he used to complain there was no one around to take Jimmie’s place.

In those days it was strictly 78 rpm records available so the demand and choices of tracks were somewhat limited in the UK. I had a few boyhood mates who were Merchant Navy sailors sailing from Liverpool to New York and Montreal on Cunard and Canadian Pacific shipping lines on a regular basis and got them searching for stuff for my dad and paid them on receipt by way of a few drinks and cash. This was about the time that technology took a leap and we got the 33/1/3rd rpm long-playing vinyl albums. The local boys came up with a couple of treasures that had forty of Jimmie’s songs on two LPs and I gave them to my dad. I also slipped in a Hank Williams album with the thought that here was a worthy successor to Jimmie’s crown for him.
For the first time, it seemed that Dad had heeded my recommendations and showed an interest in Hank Williams and his music. He became an avid fan by buying a big stereo player unit playing their stuff and staying so till his dying day.

PS:
My dad was not a big drinker but he liked his weekly visit to our local pub “Lord Nelson” on either a Friday or Saturday night as the mood took him. He often implored my Mum to come with him but she always declined as she didn’t consider it very ladylike to be in a bar. After closing time Dad would come happily back home with stuff my Mum had requested him to get Ike a small bottle of port wine and a couple of bags of crisps for her. He would put these down and sing “Hey good looking, what you got cooking, how about cooking something up with me?” This would embarrass her at first but eventually, she would break up with laughter at his antics. Being just an eight-year-old kid, I wasn't to know that those exchanges would lead to the arrival of my kid brother Harry. Happy days.

Pedro
Ric
Posted 2023-08-27 7:50 PM (#104029 - in reply to #104028)

Plankowner

Subject: RE: Hank Williams Live July 13th 1952 Sunset Park, West Grove, PA Rare Live Performance Recording.

Thanks Pedro. Great tales. Glad you liked the recording. I was 7 when Hank passed but I can't remember a time his music wasn't on the radio.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software