Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "There is a touch of the pirate about every man who wears the dolphins badge" - Commander Jeff Tall, RN
BLT
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

C Stafford
Posted 2023-09-02 9:10 AM (#104036)
Senior Crew

Subject: BLT

It is the weekend and I was thinking about getting bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwiches for breakfast in the chow hall behind the Sub Base barracks in Pearl.
They were delicious and cheap in 1968. This is one of the great memories living in the barracks.
They probably cost $5.00 today
geno
Posted 2023-09-02 12:37 PM (#104037 - in reply to #104036)
Old Salt

Subject: RE: BLT

I could be wrong (usually am - ask my bitter half) but I thought the chow hall was under or in the basement of what we called the horseshoe barracks in Pearl. I think it dates back to WW II times. Anyway, it has received many awards over the years and the times I eaten there I've never had a bad meal.
GaryKC
Posted 2023-09-02 1:34 PM (#104038 - in reply to #104036)

COMSUBBBS

for today, I'll take a
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiDfTo9qS8c
Ric
Posted 2023-09-02 1:55 PM (#104039 - in reply to #104036)

Plankowner

Never knew there was a chowhall behind the barracks. I knew there was one under the one arm of the barracks but never seemed to be open when I tried to go there. I just ate on the boat.
C Stafford
Posted 2023-09-02 8:58 PM (#104043 - in reply to #104036)
Senior Crew

Your recollection of the chow hall may be correct. I just remember walking down stairs behind the horseshoe barracks.
Brain fade after 50+ years
Gil
Posted 2023-09-03 10:30 AM (#104050 - in reply to #104036)
Master and Commander

I don't remember a chow hall in Pearl, either on the sub base portion, or the other part. I never got a meal there if it existed.  My shipmate Dozier would know.  He spent some time in the barracks when he went active duty waiting for the Pickerel to come back from sea.  I know our storekeeper traded food with the BOQ there from time to time. In '68 I got to know Cherry the MAA of the barracks pretty good.  It was amazing what buying him a bottle of liquor could get you.

I remember the regular store on the sub base use to make hamburgers, but I never had one.  The Beman's sub bar was kind of like our mess hall.  It was in crawling distance from the barracks, but I don't remember anything noteworthy foodwise.

Of course '68 is a long time ago for my foggy memory.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software