Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "He is the Submarine Sailor who served in silence, but in his silence, has heard the laughter of future generations.” -- Glenn Harris
22 years ago
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Runner485
Posted 2023-09-11 4:44 AM (#104088)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: 22 years ago

America was attacked by arab terrorists which changed our lives forever. It was a day I'll never forget especially the worrying we did because my son and brother-in-law worked down there and we didn't find out they were ok for quite some time.
To all the people we lost...Rest in Peace
Ric
Posted 2023-09-11 7:52 AM (#104089 - in reply to #104088)

Plankowner

Subject: RE: 22 years ago

I was sitting in a hotel restaurant in Chicago having breakfast and was watching TV as it was being reported live.
My first thought was about that bomber that flew into the Empire t building in the 1940's then the second plane came and I knew it wasn't an accident.
I was on my way to the USSVI convention in Peoria, IL.
I paid my food bill and ran up to my room and got my bag and checked out headed to get my rental car. Good thing I did as they grounded all air traffic and there was a run on cars and I only got one because a had a previous reservation for one. Didn't get the car I wanted but I got one. Strange Convention that year.

Hung my flag out in memory of those lost first thing.
Tom McNulty
Posted 2023-09-11 11:42 AM (#104090 - in reply to #104088)

Master and Commander

I was getting ready to leave my hotel in Houston. I was there to exhibit my companies products at an international chemical expo in the Astrodome. If course the big buzz was everyone trying to get back to their own homes but flights were all grounded. The expo was pretty empty by noon but I had to pack up my exhibit for shipment. I contacted USAir to get me on a flight whenever they could. I didn't get out until Friday morning after being in line at the airport from 3:30am until my flight around 10am. It took that long to get to the counter. The problem was the crowd was there trying to find flights. I was in line with some of the WWE wrestlers who were also in Houston for a show. We had quite the conversations. I finally got to the boarding gate for my flight back to Philly. A Trooper came and sat with me for awhile thanking me for using my sense of humor to keep the crowd amused instead of angry. I went through as many Rodney jokes as I could and a few other sea stories. When I boarded I was the only one getting on the plane besides the crew. Flight attendant asked if others were in the gate area. Nope, just me. Shortly came two other businessmen and that was it. So three of us and 4 flight attendants flew to Philly. I had tried to contact family in NYC since one of my Brother-in-Laws was a LT in the FDNY and another was a just retired Capt. FDNY and two other of my wife's cousins were FDNY. No cell phone service for days. When I got home everyone of them was fine. One note; the Captain who replaced my Brother-in-Law lost his life in the tower collapse. My Brother-in-Law had only retired in June. He was very depressed for a long time as he lost many of his friends that day.
GaryKC
Posted 2023-09-11 3:31 PM (#104091 - in reply to #104088)

COMSUBBBS

(09112001.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 09112001.jpg (183KB - 135 downloads)
Bob Mahon
Posted 2023-09-11 5:31 PM (#104093 - in reply to #104088)

Great Sage of the Sea

It is impossible for anyone to know how angry I am still.
I will "NEVER FORGET" !!!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software