Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Probably the most expensive ballast ever carried by a ship was two tons of gold and eighteen tons of silver coins carried by the U.S. submarine TROUT while on a trip from Corregidor to Pearl Harbor early in World War II. TROUT had removed her moveable ballast to allow for a larger cargo of ammunition to be transported for the defenders on the embattled island. Lcdr. Fenno, TROUT's CO, planned on replacing the ballast with sand bags, but found none were available. The gold and silver from the Bank of the Philippines was substituted as ballast, which also solved the problem of removing the treasure to a safe place prior to invasion by the enemy.
Major League Baseball
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

GaryKC
Posted 2023-09-27 9:59 AM (#104139)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Major League Baseball

Before this season started, a 15 second pitch clock/timer was instituted. As a lifelong baseball fan I've decided it's usage has improved at least one aspect of the game. Seems the average game time has decreased by 31 minutes.

Of course, my KC Royals have returned to another period of 100 yearly losses, but, recently won 9 of 10. The playoffs start soon, for any usta be fans, try watching a game to see if the old spark still resides in the happiness brain areas.

Gil
Posted 2023-09-29 9:42 AM (#104144 - in reply to #104139)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Major League Baseball

When the Dodgers moved out to Los Angeles in '58 I became a Dodger fan primarily because we got Vin Scully in the bargain. I listened to every game on my transistor radio.  When the World Series was played in the day we'd try to get the scores during school.  Now I can't watch baseball for more than an inning.  Speeding up the pitcher will help, but watching these hitters step out of the box every pitch and fidget with their batting gloves drives me up a wall.

These days everything is homeruns, and that bores me.  In my day hitting .300 and above was the mark of a great hitter.  Now batting average doesn't mean much.  I got to see Willie Mays at the park in his prime, and despite being at the time a true blue Dodger fan he's the best I ever saw.  

We use to get a pretty good seat at Chavez Ravine for about six bucks in early 80's.  Now friends tell me regular season games can go over $100.  It doesn't help I don't even like the Dodgers anymore.  I became a Angel fan, but despite them having two of the best players in baseball they can't get into the playoffs - for ratings MLB tries to put everybody in the playoffs.  These days its hard to believe the Angels can be and can remain that bad.

I got to travel to the east coast on business in the 80's and 90's.  I had chills when I went to Yankee stadium and Fenway Park to watch game.  I got to visit Kansas City and walk on the turf at Arrowhead, and got inside the baseball stadium just to see what it was like. 
Runner485
Posted 2023-09-29 10:21 AM (#104145 - in reply to #104139)

COMSUBBBS

The pitch clock timer was the best thing to happen to baseball this century. I can now watch two or three innings without growing old like before.
As a kid growing up in NYC i would go to a Yankee or Giants game. The games never went past 2 1/2 hrs. Maybe longer with extra innings.
I was a Giant fan all my life and when O'Malley convinced Stoneham to move the Giants to San Francisco, I was devastated. From then on I hexed the Giants hoping they would never win another world series. They did of course, but by then they were gone so long they just didn't matter. When I got out of the Navy, I became a Met fan, and still am....win, lose, or draw!
Lets Go Mets!
GaryKC
Posted 2023-09-29 11:31 AM (#104147 - in reply to #104139)

COMSUBBBS

I'll always have soft spots in my karma for the Mets and the Cardinals, and for some reason more negative spots for the Phillies and Giants. Alas, today thru Sunday we play those dang Yankees, who with the Royals made some of the most exciting games in all of 1970's baseball.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=yankees+royals+games+1970s&iax=videos&ia=videos

OK, Royals score 9 runs on 9 hits in the bottom of the first, win 12 to 5.

Edited by GaryKC 2023-09-29 8:18 PM

(bobby witt jr 2023.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments bobby witt jr 2023.jpg (76KB - 130 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software