Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "It's hard sometimes, but as long as we remember them around the campfire, they will live forever." -- Walt Specht
Yokosuka in the 60's!
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Ric
Posted 2023-10-01 8:26 AM (#104152)

Plankowner

Subject: Yokosuka in the 60's!

This must have been early one morning. I never saw the street that empty. It was packed with people.
geno
Posted 2023-10-01 8:39 AM (#104153 - in reply to #104152)
Old Salt

Subject: RE: Yokosuka in the 60's!

Being the youngster I am, I didn't get to Yoko until 1972. But from what I remember the streets were a little cleaner that the one in the picture - no matter what the time of day or night. Seems like Mamasan was always sweeping the front stoop.
Ric
Posted 2023-10-01 9:08 AM (#104154 - in reply to #104153)

Plankowner

I remember you had to walk in the middle of the street or the door hawkers would pull you into the shops.
They had to keep one foot inside the shop so if they couldn't reach you you were safe.
The Starlight was the Flasher bar while we were there.
geno
Posted 2023-10-01 11:36 AM (#104155 - in reply to #104152)
Old Salt

Oh yes, I remember the Starlight well. I think most every boat gravitated there.
Ric
Posted 2023-10-01 12:24 PM (#104156 - in reply to #104155)

Plankowner

I'm pretty sure I remember that our Rec Fund bought the bar for the time we were there. First time I ever saw bottle beer in quarts.
C Stafford
Posted 2023-10-01 3:03 PM (#104157 - in reply to #104152)
Senior Crew

They had Yokosuka Dolphins that looked good on white uniforms.
Had a buddy that was in Yokosuka in the late 90's. Didn't recognize the place. It was all modernized with fancy hotels and restaurants.
He did get to tour a Japanese boat with the help of a nice Officer.
Ric
Posted 2023-10-01 5:21 PM (#104158 - in reply to #104157)

Plankowner

I have a set of what were called Westpac Dolphins. They have a Guppy bow. The story is they were only available there. Don't know if that is still true or was true at the time but I never saw them anyplace else.

carlb
Posted 2023-10-01 6:55 PM (#104159 - in reply to #104152)
Senior Crew

60+ years and the memories still bring a smile...Exciting place for a young 19 year old.

carl browning
FT2(SS)
USS Barbero SSG 317
Ric
Posted 2023-10-01 8:17 PM (#104160 - in reply to #104159)

Plankowner

Almost like a carnival midway. The lights and noise. The shops and vendors trying to get your attention.
Gil
Posted 2023-10-02 2:54 PM (#104161 - in reply to #104152)
Master and Commander

Our bar was right on the alley directly across from the Starlite - the New Yokosuka.  Went into the Starlite more than a few times.  Saw two things there I never saw before or since:  The dance of the flaming toilet paper, and two crew members pour absinthe down their throats that they had  lit  - what made it even more dramatic was they both had post Westpac excursion beards. 

Didn't see Yokosuka much in the early morning.  The base gate closed at midnight and the only time I saw early morning was the time I got backdoored at the New Yokosuka and spent the night in a hotel.  I got back to the Pickerel when the gate opened in the morning just before muster.

In '68 we could wear civies, and the skimmers couldn't.  We got there in January of '68 banged up from a stormy transit from Pearl and had Yoko pretty much to ourselves - the fleet was out because of the Pueblo, but by the time we got out of drydock the Kitty Hawk, and the fleet had returned.  It got so we took the short train ride to Yokohama to escape the crowd.

Edited by Gil 2023-10-02 2:57 PM
Ric
Posted 2023-10-02 5:00 PM (#104162 - in reply to #104161)

Plankowner

Kitty Hawk SP's were all over us boat sailors. They didn't like our gaberdines, neckerchiefs, (have a greasy snake from Seven Seas), hair cuts, beards and mustaches, shoeshines and especially our dolphins. They put as many SP's on the beach as we did in 2 duty sections of crew. Yeoman was tossing so many chits he was getting a sore wrist.
Gil
Posted 2023-10-03 4:24 PM (#104165 - in reply to #104152)
Master and Commander

In Yokosuka I bought an {atomic yo yo) in the alley from one of the street hawkers.  When you yo-yoed it would glow.  For some reason the SP's said I had to put it away, or they'd take me in.  I guess because I was wearing civies it pissed them off.

Our first class engineman got brought back to the boat.  One of the three SP's made the mistake of walking in front of him from the brow to the our deck,  Johannes was beyond drunk and used his just raised foot to push the front SP over the side.  The 2nd class Airedale lost his .45 in the water he was thrashing around.  We pulled him out of the water.    Our OOD became our hero when he refused to turn Johannes over to the Marines that came after divers couldn't recover the SP's .45.  I was told he knew they'd beat him up once they got him off the boat.

Johannes got confined to the boat for I think 50 days, but the Pickerel was leaving the following week for a 45 day excursion.  I had been talking to the topside watch when this happened.  The Airedale looked like Barnie Fife, and despite how serious everything was it was hard not to laugh.
Ric
Posted 2023-10-03 7:00 PM (#104167 - in reply to #104165)

Plankowner

We were one boat out from the pier in Yokosuka. I was sitting in the crewsmess BSing and there was a ruckus topside. Suddenly there was the announcement of "Man Overboard, Man Overboard. Doc just fell in!!"
Our Master Chief Corpsman got snockered and walk right over the side coming aboard. Pretty quick he was standing the Crewsmess dripping wet in his dress blues looking "surprised"! He was saluting and stepped off the gangway and kept going until he contacted the cable lifeline and just flipped right over it and down the hull.
Runner485
Posted 2023-10-04 5:15 AM (#104168 - in reply to #104167)

COMSUBBBS

HHmmmnn. Sounds like those nucs were more dangerous tied up at the pier then anywhere else...Glad I was on a smoke boat. 
Ric
Posted 2023-10-04 7:50 AM (#104169 - in reply to #104168)

Plankowner

Only a single lifeline that was rigged to a track down the portside. Hull is round and smooth, nothing to hang onto. also a couple of months of slime coating the hull. Just like deer guts on a door knob!
Gil
Posted 2023-10-04 2:54 PM (#104175 - in reply to #104152)
Master and Commander

Ric,
I don't remember a nuc boat in Yokosuka.  Wasn't that a problem with the Japanese.

One year before my Westpac the the Pickerel entered Hong Kong, and my shipmate George got the topside watch after it tied up.  There were protests because some thought the Pickerel was a nuc.  I heard they had to start a diesel just to calm things a little.  

A year later when we hit Hong Kong there were no protests, but it was the only place we couldn't wear civies, and it was the only place I experienced Cinderella Liberty.

Me and a buddy took a train from Sasebo to Kyoto. and Nagasaki to sightsee. There were protests going on, everywhere we went while Yokosuka, Yokohama, and Sasebo had none that we saw in '68.  The protests were over Operation Rolling Thunder and particularly B-52's bombing North Vietnam.  We stuck out glaringly trying to get away from these quickly assembled crowds.
C Stafford
Posted 2023-10-04 4:53 PM (#104176 - in reply to #104152)
Senior Crew

When the Barbel pulled in 1967, we had the diesels make as much smoke as possible to keep the anti-nuc protesters from being upset.
It was funny that during open boat tours, Japanese citizens could go into our torpedo room even though our Philippino stewards could not go into the room because we had MK 45 torpedoes on board.
Ric
Posted 2023-10-04 6:14 PM (#104177 - in reply to #104175)

Plankowner

We were followed into the harbor by a small boat towing what looked like a Klorox bottle. It had radiation detectors in I guess. They circled us the whole time we were there. Of course they never found anything. There was a planned protest when we were there but a bunch of us had taken the train to Tokyo and missed it.

What might have made a difference for us that in 1966 after we got to Hawaii we had a high level diplomatic tour by the Japanese Minister of Defense. I don't know how we got our clearance to enter.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software