Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: A submarine often navigates by sound when submerged. Sound can travel 3,000 nautical miles or more through water.
US Navy Problems - Not enough sleep?
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Thomas Courtien
Posted 2023-10-17 7:42 PM (#104235)
Master and Commander

Subject: US Navy Problems - Not enough sleep?

Blame it on the mattresses...

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2023/10/17/watchdog-surface-fleet-sailors-still-not-getting-enough-sleep/
Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2023-10-18 4:06 AM (#104237 - in reply to #104235)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: US Navy Problems - Not enough sleep?

I, for one, don't remember a heck of a lot of sleep. I do remember one Captain limiting Engineering Drills to Nukes only because the rest of the crew wasn't getting enough sleep. Captain Biel, Wasn't remembered with fondness by many crew members.
Ric
Posted 2023-10-18 7:33 AM (#104239 - in reply to #104237)

Plankowner

Flasher was 6 on 12 off, even the Officers, except the Stewards. We were 8 on and 16 off. (and that was pretty iffy, sometimes longer on) When All hands drills were happening we were up regardless. At one point we were down two of us and it 12 and 12.
Tom McNulty
Posted 2023-10-18 10:09 AM (#104240 - in reply to #104239)

Master and Commander

My life at sea was always 6 on 12 off unless one of watch were unable to stand watch. Then we always did 6 on 6 off. Between Field Days, WSRT, and other drills we didn't get a whole lot of continual sleep. Add in the PMs while off watch but nobody complained. It was the normal at sea thing. Surface crews must be spoiled these days except for time at sea.
geno
Posted 2023-10-18 1:52 PM (#104241 - in reply to #104235)
Old Salt

I learned my lesson the hard way. Gudgeon was 4 on 8 off (Barb as a nuke was 6 on 12 off). First WestPac the Cob presented an idea to the Captain. We would send a duty section home and they would be responsible for getting the sea van through customs then stand four straight days duty when we arrived. Captain bought it. I was a third class in charge of the stern room (always liked after torpedo room better). So me and a FT decided to take the wtch for as long as we could take it before relief. I took the first watch and lasted about 13 hours. Asked for relief and about three hours later I was back on watch. This happened three times then I told the FT the routine was bull sh*t so since it was my room we would now stand two hours on and two hours off. Imagine my suprise when I logged about 7 1/2 hours next rotation.
Runner485
Posted 2023-10-19 9:05 AM (#104247 - in reply to #104235)

COMSUBBBS

Back in the good ol days, 60-64 on Sirago we stood 4 on 8 off. Loved it.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software